Can someone explain

rentayenta

DIS Veteran
How will Black Friday ay Walmart work? They are staying open and I cannot imagine they'll just have people lurking around what they want? Thanks!!!!

I tried reading the Black Friday thread but got overwhlemed. :blush:

the one I go to is 24 hrs. They always have the stuff on pallets wrapped in plastic till the time the specials start. Employees standing guard around the pallets.:lmao:

This is happening to avoid the crush of people trying to rush the doors that got a man killed last BF. They will let people line up in the areas they wish to shop in and wait until 5am before they can purchase any BF specials. The rest of the store will have business as usual like any other time it's open all night.

They sure did at my Walmart, people saw the palets and formed lines around what they wanted...good times people :lmao:

Unfortunately true....if you have something you MUST have I'd suggest pallet lurking. It's insanity.

My WalMart has always been 24 houurs as well and we pallet lurk. I like to arrive at the store about an hour early - I walk around and scout everything out so I know where to go for each deal.

I start with my most important item and then work my way down. It works well and people are pretty nice about it. Usually one jerk jumps in at the last second but generally speaking it works out well.

I am going to be on a cruise this year so I will miss BF - I thought I wouldn't mind but am a little bummed at some of the deals I am seeing - particularly since I want a flat screen and blu-ray player!

The PP are right - that's how BF works at Wal-Mart - pallet stalk if you really want something. Some things are stored back in their site to store area (some of the harder to get electronics as I recall). It's a good plan to get there early (well before 5 am) and find out where everything is.

It's chaotic but fun too IMO

Last year our walmart handed out maps of where all the items were. Some things were in the grocery dept, like tvs and dvds, while others were in lawn and garden. It was crazy packed and people definately stalked the pallets. Ours let you stand next to the pallet and wait.

They may hand out tickets this year, they started doing that at several stores last year. WalMart is seriously paranoid after what happened last year and I'm sure they are goig to be supercautious this year.

You also should be able to ask any employee where things are located. At my Walmart last year they each had maps. None for customers (that would have been nice). Stuff is put in the weirdest places and as I recall almost NEVER in the department where they normally would be.

TIP- make "friends" with people ahead of you in line, if you need one of something you think will go fast, ask them to get theirs and then hand you one before they are all gone. People are standing around every side of the pallet and the stuff can fly off the pallet faster than you think.

Our walmart is a 24 hr one so they always reopen at midnight. I am usually there by 3 am or so and I already know what I want (electronics) so I wait in line at the dept check out so I can ask the clerk that comes on duty when the "sale starts" to retreive it for me out of the cage, I pay for it, and I leave. I have done this several years and a line always forms behind me. One year they had like 20 camera bundles (I was getting 2) and by the time sale time rolled around we already had quite a line, someone was dismayed that they were so far back and started to figure out they were probably not going to get a camera so they tried to cut but the larger men in the line kept them back. I don't get there hours early and stand in line and wait just so someone can cut in front of me. I figure if I can drag my but out of bed and go out in the cold so can everyone else.

Ahh, BF at Wal-Mart is insanity at its finest! I live by a 24 hr store, so I get there around 4:15ish and try to figure out where everything is. It's all covered with black plastic and tape, but we've been known to poke holes through the plastic to peek and make sure we're in the right spot.

Even better is to go with two or three people and tag team. Each grabs a spot at a different pallet and gets for everyone. It's good if one person waits near the registers to get a good spot in line. The lines become hour long-ish waits 10 to 15 minutes after the frenzy starts because people want to grab their stuff and head out to the next store. So, get in line right away!

When my kids were little and I made the BF runs for the toys, the stores used to hand out freebies to the first few hundred people -- like pop tarts, and free coupons for movies or food. These days those freebies are a rarity. I think the number of people who show up now before the stores open is exponentially higher than what it was just 6 and 7 years ago. BF used to start at 6:00, too. Then it was 5, now it's 4:00 am at some places.

I learned last year to shop online for the Walmart BF sales. There was free shipping for most of it and I was able to get *almost* everything I had planned. You do have to have it already in your basket and ready to hit that checkout button as soon as it starts though b/c even online that stuff is gone within seconds.

Unfortunately true....if you have something you MUST have I'd suggest pallet lurking. It's insanity.

:rotfl2: Pallet lurking! Love it!!!

They may hand out tickets this year, they started doing that at several stores last year. WalMart is seriously paranoid after what happened last year and I'm sure they are goig to be supercautious this year.

I like the ticket idea. I hope ours does this. Maybe I should go in and ask some questions. :idea:

I learned last year to shop online for the Walmart BF sales. There was free shipping for most of it and I was able to get *almost* everything I had planned. You do have to have it already in your basket and ready to hit that checkout button as soon as it starts though b/c even online that stuff is gone within seconds.

:thumbsup2 Doing it online didn't even occur to me, Do they have they same stuff? Do the sales start at the same time?

:rotfl2: Pallet lurking! Love it!!!

I like the ticket idea. I hope ours does this. Maybe I should go in and ask some questions. :idea:

:thumbsup2 Doing it online didn't even occur to me, Do they have they same stuff? Do the sales start at the same time?

They don't have everything. A few items are in-store only specials. The print ad will specify if something is in-store only but that's the rare item - something they have extremely limited quantities of.

FYI guys, there will be new procedures implemented at all Wal-Marts this year. All items will have specific lines that you must wait in to receive that item. Each store will have maps showing the location of all items. Each item will have several Associates assigned to it to handle distribution. This is Company wide. Hope this information helps!;)

FYI guys, there will be new procedures implemented at all Wal-Marts this year. All items will have specific lines that you must wait in to receive that item. Each store will have maps showing the location of all items. Each item will have several Associates assigned to it to handle distribution. This is Company wide. Hope this information helps!;)

:worship: This TOTALLY helps! Where can I get the specifics? Like what time we need to line up, what time the actual sale starts, etc.?

My friend came with me last year. Her first BF. She described the pallets at WM like the car contests. Everybody had their hands on the pallets covered in black plastic and were staring each other down trying to get the competition to give up and go home! :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter