• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can someone explain the new Categories for dinner shows/dining?

gigi1313

DIS Veteran
i tried a search w/no success... i searched at mousesavers and allearsnet... but the only place i have read of the Category for '07 Dinner Shows was here on the disboards and i just don't understand them... perhaps someone can help me out...

thanks!

You can't use the DDP for the best seats at the shows. If you use the DDP to see the show then you will get the cheaper seats. If you want the best seats then you have to pay OOP and not use DDDP credits.

gigi1313 said:
regardless of how early you book your ressie?

Yes. What would it matter when you book it? If the rule is for DDP to get the cheaper seats then that is what you would get. The ones paying out OOP get a choice whether they want the better seats or not. If you don't want the cheap seats you can always pay OPP and have a choice.

Think of this like a concert or a sporting event. At a baseball game, the seats behind home plate are expensive. The seats in the upper deck of the outfield are cheap. Same thing for the dinner shows. The twist is that you *can't* use DDP credits to sit behind "home plate".

For Hoop, that means that the vast majority of the floor is off limits unless you are paying OOP. For Luau, it's less of an impact.

For the dinner shows, Disney is stopping the practice of "seats are first come, first serve" and those who book earliest get the best seats. Instead, they are selling them in 3 tiers based on where you want to sit. It doesn't matter anymore how far out you buy them, it just matters what category you want to pay for.

The DDP will now cover cat 2 and 3, so you have to pay OOP to cover cat 1.

So there will be 3 different prices for say the Hoop? What will they do with large parties? We almost always have 11 or more in our group and have always been seated at the larger tables on the main floor..(Did go a couple of times with a smaller group and once I was seated upstairs).

DaisyD said:
Yes. What would it matter when you book it? If the rule is for DDP to get the cheaper seats then that is what you would get. The ones paying out OOP get a choice whether they want the better seats or not. If you don't want the cheap seats you can always pay OPP and have a choice.

The "old" way of booking with HDDR was first booked best seats so that is why the question was being asked. Example if I booked a year ahead (the old way) I'd be on the first floor in front, if someone booked the same show that night if there were room they would get back of the hall or second floor. My question would be is there three tiered pricing now? Because if the price is the same those on DDP should not be seated differently.

what i was asking earlier is if i book w/DDP at exactly 180 out, won't i get better seats than if i book 3 days before? or do they put all the DDPs in a barrel and just pick 'em at the last minute?

also, now i know Cat1 is for cash (and premium/platinum, no?) but what's the diff between Cat2 and Cat3? and if you are paying cash can you pay less to be a Cat3 than a Cat1?

personally, i don't think HDDR is a good use of dining credits, but a great use of cash, so if i opt to book it again, we'll go OOP for it :)

patsal said:
The "old" way of booking with HDDR was first booked best seats so that is why the question was being asked. Example if I booked a year ahead (the old way) I'd be on the first floor in front, if someone booked the same show that night if there were room they would get back of the hall or second floor. My question would be is there three tiered pricing now? Because if the price is the same those on DDP should not be seated differently.

The old way was thought to go like you say but it really wasn't. The people with the best seats were the ones that PICKED up their tickets the earliest. You were assigned seats upon pick up and not when you booked. I have a friend that did seating for HDDR and this is how it was done. I am not sure when the 3 tier pricing is to start. All I know is that DDP will no longer be able to get the better seats no matter when you pick up your tickets.

mmiller711 said:
So there will be 3 different prices for say the Hoop? What will they do with large parties? We almost always have 11 or more in our group and have always been seated at the larger tables on the main floor..(Did go a couple of times with a smaller group and once I was seated upstairs).

Large parties would be treated the same as small parties and seated depending on what category you paid for. If your party pays for cat 3 then you will all be seated upstairs in those seats. If you pay for Cat 1 then you will be in the front. I stopped going to HDDR because of the chance of getting poor seats. Now that is is more fairly done I'm going to give it another try. It really is a good show.

DaisyD said:
The old way was thought to go like you say but it really wasn't. The people with the best seats were the ones that PICKED up their tickets the earliest. You were assigned seats upon pick up and not when you booked. I have a friend that did seating for HDDR and this is how it was done. I am not sure when the 3 tier pricing is to start. All I know is that DDP will no longer be able to get the better seats no matter when you pick up your tickets.
That's funny because I always book like at the one year place and always had the front row, left side. Sometimes I picked up my tickets the night of just before the show and other times I picked them up at my resort.

Oh, and to answer my own question I went to allears.net, they had the categories, prices and views all listed pretty neatly. Based on the cost of the meal and that it takes two DDP I'd be very inclined to just pay OOP and book the category 1.

patsal said:
That's funny because I always book like at the one year place and always had the front row, left side. Sometimes I picked up my tickets the night of just before the show and other times I picked them up at my resort.

Oh, and to answer my own question I went to allears.net, they had the categories, prices and views all listed pretty neatly. Based on the cost of the meal and that it takes two DDP I'd be very inclined to just pay OOP and book the category 1.

It really doesn't matter when you book. I have booked a year in advance too and gotten bad seats. We picked the tickets up two hours before the show started and ended up with seats in the balcony. I've booked 60 days before the show, picked up the tickets 4 days before the show and got seats right in front. Anyway it is a fun show. Food isn't that great but the show is!

patsal said:

what did you search for on allearsnet? i didn't see the categories, prices, views when i looked and would love to find it... tia!

Just wondering, we have the HDDR booked for December and its our first time at Ft. Wilderness. Do I get our HDDR tickets when we check in or do I go to Pioneer Hall?

Thanks!

We booked HDDR August 4, for the 9:30 show the following night. We picked up our tickets at the ticket window prior to the show. I thought our seats were pretty decent.

My inderstanding of the new tier pricing, is Premium and Platinum plans will have Cat 1 seats.
Those using DDP credits will get cat 2 or 3 -- but can pay the difference between the ticket prices to upgrade to cat 1.

That actually may work out well. For those being up front really matter, they will get it.
I thought the balcony would be a pretty good seat actually. :confused3

I am surprised they use the phrases Category 1, 2, 3... Those of us in Florida shudder when we hear those phrases! :rotfl2:

We were told we could pick up our tickets in advance at any park. But we just picked them at at Pioneer Hall that night.

Hmm, I noticed someone suggested that DDP participants can pay the difference to sit in section 1....where did you see that?

Anne

Now don't quote me. ;) That was just my understanding... :rotfl2: Hopefully someone can confirm or deny that! :wave2:

Too late! I called Disney Dining and said: "HEY! Luv2Roam from the Dis says I can get preferred seating if I slip you a couple bucks" :lmao:

It would seem logical though, and that might be why it won't be happening!

Thanks!
Anne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter