• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can I go to the front desk before check in to see if my requests were honored?

online check in just gives you the next available room even if it is the exact opposite of what you want.
I'm not sure that's true. Maybe it was just a fluke? I put room requests in for all of my clients (if they don't have any specific preferences, I make my own requests for them based on what I know about their resort) and I have them all do online check-in. I would say, on average, my requests are honored 85-90% of the time.

The CM at the desk knew which room we were SUPPOSED to get, but online check in just gives you the next available room even if it is the exact opposite of what you want. I won’t use online check in again. Always go to the front desk if your request matters.
That has not been our experience AT ALL.

A couple years ago we had 3 rooms reserved with a request to have them near each other. We ALWAYS do online check in. We went to the front desk at 8 am and they told us we had 3 rooms next to each other that would not be ready until later in the day. But, if we wanted a room now there were other rooms available. We did take the room that was ready just down the hall

This has happened on other trips too, we always get there early and are frequently asked if we want a room right away or if we'd prefer to wait for our requested room.

I put in a specific section request that was not preferred or anything at all star sports and when I arrived was given exact opposite as well. The CM had multiple options available in the section and allowed me to choose. I will add that that was the trip I used TP request form. I won’t use it again, CM thought it was too specific as it gave a room range and not the general requirements I was looking for, but maybe I did it wrong? Anyway, now I keep it general and have had no problems. Good luck OP! Never hurts to ask though! It’s the only way to know you’ve done all you can, and then whatever happens, let it go and enjoy the Vaca!

Yep. Going to chime in and say that cast members can and will look into things. Not my last trip but the one before I checked in at around 10am. Got asked if I’d like a room in section A that is ready right away or wait for assigned room in section D. I waited. Other times the change offer was accepted.

Above all, do not use the online automatic check in if you have very specific requests. I used it when we went to POFQ. When we passed the parking guard at the booth, our room was magically ready. It was the opposite of everything I requested. I went to the front desk to see if we could switch and lo and behold, out EXACT room request was available, but still being worked on by housekeeping. The CM at the desk knew which room we were SUPPOSED to get, but online check in just gives you the next available room even if it is the exact opposite of what you want. I won’t use online check in again. Always go to the front desk if your request matters.
Just going by what I was told at POFQ. I'm skipping online check in because it was way more helpful to talk to the front desk. Saves you an extra trip if you go straight to the room and are not satisfied.

I put in a specific section request that was not preferred or anything at all star sports and when I arrived was given exact opposite as well. The CM had multiple options available in the section and allowed me to choose. I will add that that was the trip I used TP request form. I won’t use it again, CM thought it was too specific as it gave a room range and not the general requirements I was looking for, but maybe I did it wrong? Anyway, now I keep it general and have had no problems. Good luck OP! Never hurts to ask though! It’s the only way to know you’ve done all you can, and then whatever happens, let it go and enjoy the Vaca!
I always use the TP room request and had good luck. It starts out incredibly specific with asking for a specific room number and nothing else, but you can change the text of the message. I’ve always kept it more broad and only listed our main priority. Last time my request was connecting rooms. Before that, I requested a range of buildings at OKW and a certain Savannah view at Kidani. I also always add a Thank You at the end which is not in the original message.

Just going by what I was told at POFQ. I'm skipping online check in because it was way more helpful to talk to the front desk. Saves you an extra trip if you go straight to the room and are not satisfied.
POFQ sucked with room request too. Ignored it completely. However, if they told you it was because you online checked-in that was a lie of convenience. As stated above rooms are assigned 3-5 days out, check in method has nothing to do with it. The front desk can work with the system and/or back office to accommodate your request when it wasn’t granted no matter how you chose to check in.

I always use the TP room request and had good luck. It starts out incredibly specific with asking for a specific room number and nothing else, but you can change the text of the message. I’ve always kept it more broad and only listed our main priority. Last time my request was connecting rooms. Before that, I requested a range of buildings at OKW and a certain Savannah view at Kidani. I also always add a Thank You at the end which is not in the original message.
Glad you’ve had great luck. Since then, I’ve just noted general things on my regular reservation, as I had in the past, and have gotten great rooms. So for me, I think right now, I can skip using them. I wanted to try it once and if I’m only going to list general things through them, and I’m able to do that anyway without them, then I’ll just do that.

POFQ sucked with room request too. Ignored it completely. However, if they told you it was because you online checked-in that was a lie of convenience. As stated above rooms are assigned 3-5 days out, check in method has nothing to do with it. The front desk can work with the system and/or back office to accommodate your request when it wasn’t granted no matter how you chose to check in.
Exactly.

We often do online check-in, but we always go to the front desk before we go to the room. As another poster said, it's easier than getting to the room, being dissatisfied because of the location, and having to go back to the front desk.

Of course there are other reasons to be dissatisfied with the room that can't be anticipated.

I've had a 50-50 experience with room requests. Now I don't bother.

And if you do online check in they give you a number to call when you get your room assignment if you have an issue. I've gotten my assigned room changed while at a completely different resort and on a park bus. No need to interrupt your day to go to the resort to see if you can get it changed.

I use TP most of the time and have pretty good luck. I do change the wording to be more generic. For instance, at Pop I request lake view, 50s and sometimes I add ground floor. My main goal is not to get stuck off in the 80s or 90s section. The important thing is to do your homework so when you get your room assignment text, you will be able to tell where they have put you. You can study the TP maps without being a subscriber. If you don’t like the location, you can either use the phone # someone mentioned or just go straight to the front desk when you get to the resort. They seem to be more flexible when you haven’t entered the room yet because then they don’t have to reclean it. I have had this work for me at Pop. WL and CSR.

From my past experience, I found that the online requests trumps all others and that is why when we do online check-in we skip the room request section and just add it by calling WDW or through our TA if we used one. Not to mention the online requests are just so generic.
We found this out on a trip to CBR when the CM mentioned that we requested ground floor, when I said that we called in also and requested a certain area etc. the CM said it was not on the computer only the online request of ground floor, and sure enough it only had ground floor on the computer screen.
Plus; I would think that putting in multiple requests from different sources (online, touringplans etc.) would be more confusing to them and less likely to get what you hoped for. Also, you can always go to the lobby and see if they can move you to a different room. Good luck and either way have a great trip.

Last edited:
I have had a 100% success rate showing up around 9AM and confirming that my room request is on file and can be met. I still call to put my request on file a month or so before checkin.

If it can’t be met, they let me pick a desirable room at the front desk.

The trick is to show up early in the day (before 11AM). Most rooms have not been turned over yet from guests checking out.

Above all, do not use the online automatic check in if you have very specific requests. I used it when we went to POFQ. When we passed the parking guard at the booth, our room was magically ready. It was the opposite of everything I requested. I went to the front desk to see if we could switch and lo and behold, out EXACT room request was available, but still being worked on by housekeeping. The CM at the desk knew which room we were SUPPOSED to get, but online check in just gives you the next available room even if it is the exact opposite of what you want. I won’t use online check in again. Always go to the front desk if your request matters.
100% incorrect. Online check in does NOT give next open room in that category. I've stayed in hundreds of rooms since online check in started. We get a requested room location/type, etc, probably 75% of the time.

My feeling is that not every person can get the room they want every time. There are definitely areas in each hotel that are more popular than others.
That's the thing no one ever wants to hear but it's the truth. Everyone here is like "I want X and don't understand why I don't get it"
Well, we don't always get what we want. I think folks really need to put way less stock on getting the room they way and be happy to be at Disney and stop letting a room spoil a trip. If it does, then I'm of the opinion you didn't book what you wanted, which is on you. Not Disney. You (generic you, not specific person) should be willing to take any room at the Resort you book. If you aren't. book elsewhere.

Nothing at all stopping you from doing both. But what is stopped by doing online check in, going straight to your room. When you do it, and you get a room you like, arrive after long flight delays along with a bus load of others, why force yourself to stand in line.
Do the online check in, if you like the room great. If you don't go stand in that line and get what you want.
Better idea, book what you want and don't rely on requests. No room at POFQ is so far from anything that you can possibly have a ruined trip.
Besides that, just don't complete the room request portion if you are that particular.

Yes, you did it wrong. You use the finder to location a room with features you are after, such as building, etc.
Then you edit the request to make it as generic as you want. You don't have to leave their preselected info in there and nothing more. I always add in additional notes such as, room in this general area, building, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter