• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can I get some poncho advice?

As long as you dry them out - they will be fine. We have been using our for years and they are not growing mold. It is the same as a rain jacket. We do take 2 sets of ponchos with us because we do go in rainy weather and when we come back for a break if it had rained we take the dry ones.

I've tried the cheap ones which were fine in a 5 minute light rain, a half hour downpour, not so much. I had one on and ended up having to buy a Disney one. I prefer a rain coat, I have a clear plastic one similar to the ones the CM wear. It covers me totally from head to toe (I'm height challenged) I don't have to deal with it flapping open like you do a poncho and my arms don't get wet. It has a good drawstring hood and pockets. I can fold it down pretty well and have a plastic envelope type thing I fold it into and that hooks onto a belt loop. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YWKVH8I/ref=twister_B00YWKVH3S?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1. If it's going to be an all day light rain, I carry a small umbrella that also hooks to a belt loop.

We have a set of Disney ponchos that are about 5-6 years old that we take every trip. I also bought some full-length raincoats from Amazon that are made of a slightly lighter-weight (but still durable) plastic - I got those because they are longer than the ponchos and are better at keeping your lower half dry. I keep a plastic bag in my park bag to put them in after using, and then when we're back in the room, I hang them up overnight to dry (and hang the plastic bag inside out so it dries too). Then they get folded/rolled up the next morning and go back in the park bag. Never had a mold/smell problem.

I'm assuming that they sell the Ponchos in the gift shops in the parks if the rain starts?

I've always gotten the cheap ones, they have always worked out fine. I just find it easier to throw them away instead of carrying wet ponchos all day.

For me it depends on if its supposed to rain all day or chance of sprinkles for an hour or two. If its light i bring throw away dollar store ones. If forecast is heavy rain i have a mix of Coleman from Target and Totes brand from the drugstore that have great coverage and breathable vents etc. the kids have the disney ones and they work well also. Rain=locker day for us.

Wow lots of great advice! Thanks :) How much are the Disney one's in the parks and are they the same as the Disney ones you can buy on Amazon if Disney is listed as the maker?

Thx.

I believe they were $10 when we bought them last October. And definitely worth it. The dollar store ones might be ok if you just want to stay dry on a ride or something.
Not sure about amazon but be anyone can open up an Amazon shop and call themselves "Disney", so if you really want the Disney one, get it there. But any heavier weight poncho would be good. I actually prefer my rain jacket if it's supposed to rain all day. It's more comfortable and has pockets :)

We prefer the Disney ones. The are long and of good quality. But drying them out has been a problem for us! How do people do it on the balcony? We had ours hanging in the room and they were still wet in the morning. Last trip, I bought a bunch of cheap Walmart ones. I got the longest/largest ones, but they were very thin and didn't provide the same coverage. We used them for a day, then caved and bought another set of WDW ones ( we had them years ago). In the soaking, relentless rain we've experienced- hours upon hours- I would have loved a long, well-ventilated raincoat, as we still got soaked with our WDW ponchos.

If I were you, I would bring Ziplock bags and buy the ponchos at Disney. The Ziplocks are to store them wet as I've never been able to get them back inside the pouch they are sold with.

The quality of the Disney ponchos is excellent, and you reuse them for years. I have some still perfectly usable from 2010. Those puppies went through Matthew last year and are still with us. :)

Totally agree except ours are, ahem, much older. They are yellow. Once we get home, we just put the ponchos in the washer (delicate) and then hang them up to dry for the next trip.

Tried the dollar ponchos and while are fine, don't last for an entire trip. And I'm not one to just throw things away so they came back to be recycled.

One tip for any poncho - take a binder clip to use at your chin for the hood. Then you don't have to think about the hood being blown off your head.

We tried the Disney ponchos and they ripped when we were taking them off. We have since bought more durable ones under the brand Frogg's Toggs. They are GoreTex, which of course is a bit heavier than plastic, but they reach below our knees and kept us dry in a blowing rainstorm one night. Use ziplocs for wet ponchos during the day and hang up in the room at night.

We prefer the Disney ones. The are long and of good quality. But drying them out has been a problem for us! How do people do it on the balcony? We had ours hanging in the room and they were still wet in the morning. Last trip, I bought a bunch of cheap Walmart ones. I got the longest/largest ones, but they were very thin and didn't provide the same coverage. We used them for a day, then caved and bought another set of WDW ones ( we had them years ago). In the soaking, relentless rain we've experienced- hours upon hours- I would have loved a long, well-ventilated raincoat, as we still got soaked with our WDW ponchos.
Wow, that's too bad that you've been there during hours of rain. We tend to go when it is very hot, so we will put on our ponchos for the sudden and short storms. The sun dries them quickly. Sometimes it is so hot that we skip the ponchos and get wet in the rain to cool off. We are always dry by the time we get back to the resort.

I do love our Disney ponchos though. I think we use them more at home than in Disney.

Hang the Disney ponchos in your hotel bathroom overnight either on the hook on the back of the door or over the shower curtain rod.

If they haven't dried out sufficiently by the time you need to bring them somewhere, roll them around in a towel before you stuff them into your Ziplock.

I almost always use the cheap ones for just the reason the OP stated: I don't want to lug around wet rain gear all day. I bring two for each person, each day. They're light and easy to throw into my drawstring bag. Then if a rainstorm comes up, we muscle through it and then throw them away. We've never had more than two storms (though I'm sure there are days like that). The one time I didn't bring the cheap ones, we got caught in a deluge in Animal Kingdom. I bought the Disney ones (excellent quality, for sure!), but 20 minutes later, I was carting those around until we got back to the hotel hours later. Nice ponchos! Never again!

When our girls were little we got the Disney ponchos. Now we do the $1 store ponchos and throw them away. Your kids might like the Disney ponchos this time. One will last the entire trip as they are well made. Hang them in your hotel bathroom at night so they can dry out and you can put them in Ziplock bags to carry into the park. You can dry them with a hair dryer too. Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter