can I call uber and be picked up at BC?

paigemitchell859

Earning My Ears
I was planning on exiting the international gateway at Epcot, going to the beach club, and picking up a car from there back to Port Orleans Riverside. I have read that there are guards that may possibly not let me in if I am not staying there. Is there a place outside of the guard stand that the car can pick us up?

I'm not sure about BC specifically, but during my last trip, I used uber twice. Once from POR to the Contemporary, which went smoothly on the way there, but the driver said he had a hard time getting in to pick us up after dinner. The second time was from POR to Poly, and vice versa. That time both there and back went smoothly. Both times my DBF and I just waited at the entrance/lobby area of the hotel and we were picked up there.
My next trip is in October and I am planning on Uber-ing back to POR from BC after a late B&C ADR. I'm assuming we will be able to wait in the lobby/entrance area like we did from both other resorts during our last stay!

I don't know about picking up at a resort, sorry. But I used Uber from the TTC to ASMu one night. I had to hand over my MB to the guard to be scanned as we entered the AS gate. Not sure what they would do when the resort guest is not in the car.

I have used Uber to be picked up from the Swan and taken to DAK, I don't see why they can't do it at another resort. The driver told me they would not pick up from inside a park, or directly from the airport, but we did get dropped off TO the airport via Uber without any issues.

If a resort guest is not in the car they'd have to pay parking (which is why they don't pick up from a park), so maybe its different from Disney resorts vs the Swan.

WDW has a transportation agreement with Mears Transportation which runs DME, DCL buses, Mears Airport Shuttle, and several major cab companies (Yellow Cab, Checker Cab, etc.), so this means that there will always be Mears vehicles (black sedans, cabs, etc) lined up at the resort porte cochere waiting for guests in need of transportation, all you have to do is tell the Valet CM that you need a cab and they will flag one up for you.. This is much faster, more efficient, and more seamless than waiting for an uber driver to get through traffic, security gates (may have delays there), and other obstacles to get to where you are.

WDW has a transportation agreement with Mears Transportation which runs DME, DCL buses, Mears Airport Shuttle, and several major cab companies (Yellow Cab, Checker Cab, etc.), so this means that there will always be Mears vehicles (black sedans, cabs, etc) lined up at the resort porte cochere waiting for guests in need of transportation, all you have to do is tell the Valet CM that you need a cab and they will flag one up for you.. This is much faster, more efficient, and more seamless than waiting for an uber driver to get through traffic, security gates (may have delays there), and other obstacles to get to where you are.
Yup! We did this twice last year. Just told the CM outside at POFQ that we needed a cab, they waved one over since they were sitting in the parking lot, waiting. We were on our way. We went from FQ to BC amd FQ to GF and it was so fast. We do this if we have a dinner adr at another resort, and don't want to chance being late with the buses.

Now during my upcoming Nov trip, I will be taking 1 day to do Uni/IOA. Do you recommend doing this same thing to get there? I know I can take Mears, but I feel limited with when I can get picked up to go and picked up to get back to my resort if I use them. I am thinking about just doing the quick cab thing again.

I've used Uber about 6 times at WDW. Always to go resort to resort... Never had an issue, and cheaper then a cab. One of the drivers we had was a cast member who was driving for extra cash. He used the "Service Vehicle" entrance that's in between POFQ and POR with his Disney ID, which saved some time. Cabs don't do that!

We're gonna stay at POFQ and want to use uber for the first time to go to Universal and back. I hope this is not gonna be a problem with us. We haver read everywhere that uber is way cheaper than taxi and faster than Mears.

Curious as to why some prefer uber???? I've never used it....

Every time I have used Uber or Lyft the drivers pick me up in nice clean cars, are very pleasant, are very talkative, and are a great value. Last time I took a regular cab the car smelled like an ash tray, the driver barely spoke English, and they long hauled me. So yes to say that I am a fan of Uber and Lyft is an understatement.

Uber??? :confused3 I guess I'm in the outside world....Is this a private company, with people driving personal vehicles???

From my research, Uber seems to be the best option. I'm just concerned about the driver being able to get into Beach Club to pick us up. There should not be a problem at POR drop off, because, obviously, we'll be with them.
I'll definitely update here when we return. This seems to be something a lot of people have questions about.

We are at Disney World right now. We took Uber from the Caribbean to universal and then back to Port Orleans French Quarter. Now problems at all. We loved our first experience. Signed up as a new customer. We paid $2 on the way to universal and 0 on the way back. We both signed up. Highly recommend it.

I'm planning something similar in August after a B&C ADR. Staying at POFQ. TIA for offering to update everyone!

I have not used cabs or Uber, but there are some informative threads on the Transportation board here on the Dis - I think we are going to use Uber!

One thread has prices for the Uber drivers - and a tip to find someone who is a Uber user to get a code to try Uber. Sounds like a good thing to try.

Curious as to why some prefer uber???? I've never used it....

Simple. It's cheaper.

It's typically 50-75% cheaper than regular taxi fares. I have taken a taxi from my house to DTD and it was close to $28.00. I live less than five miles away from DTD. With Uber, it was less than $8.00 for the exact same trip. So $20.00 cheaper than a standard taxi fare.

You do not tip Uber drivers and they are not expecting a tip as taxi drivers do. The experience and price are just much better than typical taxi rides. The fare is paid for via the Uber app on your phone so no money is ever exchanged with the driver on an Uber trip. You receive a receipt to your email address as soon as the ride is over.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter