Can any Atheists give their impression of the Candlelight Processional?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard M Nixon

Peacemaker
A few friends were talking about visiting Epcot over the winter holiday to see all of the countries with their decorations up and tour some of the resorts to experience the theming. We started to discuss the other things to do and I remembered hearing the processional discussed on the podcast.

I had to look up exactly what was going on and it sounds like it's a strictly religious event going over the Bible's story of Jesus being born. Is that all there is to it? I'm imagining a Christmas eve church sermon type thing, but are there fireworks or any kind of other entertainment that goes on? Are there normal secular Christmas songs like Mannheim Steamroller or similar?

Nobody in the group is religious and I'm not sure if we'd find anything very inclusive in the event or not, which seems very un-Disney, but I've never looked into it before so I really don't know.

It's a celebrity narrator reading the story of the birth of Christ from the Bible, interspersed with a choir singing religious Christmas carols like Joy to the World and O Come All Ye Faithful - no sermon, no secular Christmas songs. Why not watch a YouTube video to see exactly what it entails? I will say that I'm not particularly religious myself, but it's a must do for me when I go in December.

@Richard M Nixon

I haven't been myself. Personally, I was only going to make sure to go if it was a celebrity I really wanted to see/hear. Looking at when we are there, the 3 speakers are all people I have never heard of. For me, when Linus gives his short snippet presentation in "A Charlie Brown Christmas", that's as much as my attention can do. It's nothing against the story or the music, just not my thing. To contrast, I have attended local La Posada events and the following mariachi mass just because I enjoy the music. This one just seems like it would be boring to me. I'd rather be visiting all the countries and that type thing.

My DH is an atheist, and he has gone once with me. He appreciated the fabulous choir and orchestra and even said the narrator was good, but as for the content of the show, it was not his taste. I have been to another CP, but DH did not join me for a second round - he said one was one too many for him.

I would love to return this year, but having no other Christians in our party this time, I'll either have to miss it or go alone.

It is a must do for me. I go every year maybe twice a year if I want to see a special narrator. The choir and orchestra are fantastic.

I went thinking that I'd enjoy the music and the spectacle of it. I was a bit underwhelmed, I probably wouldn't do it again.

It's definitely a religious thing. There are plenty of you-tube videos on line to see exactly what it is. Our family is Christian and we enjoyed it, but once was enough. I really only wanted to see NPH and was very happy with his reading, but wouldn't go again. You can also just stand over in America and hear it if you don't want to get tickets for inside the actual theater. Just stick around for a song or two and then move on!

It is a religious thing but funny enough some of the people involved are not Christian at all. My fiance's high school was always one of the invited chiors and he said the group was half Jewish (like himself) and half Christian. The kids who didn't follow the same religion did it because it was a Disney trip and just songs to them. We would go just to listen as I did grow up Christian so I love the songs but they don't hold any meaning to me any more same for fiance loves the traditional Christmas music for the art of it but not the messages in them.

I also go to see my friends who are usually in the cast portion of the choir. Always fun to go and show them support for something they worked very hard to be apart of.

One does not need to be religious to appreciate the beauty of the images, stories and sounds of any religion.....
For the Athiest, all holy book contain morality tales and stories that can be wonderful.

My DH is an atheist, and he has gone once with me. He appreciated the fabulous choir and orchestra and even said the narrator was good, but as for the content of the show, it was not his taste. I have been to another CP, but DH did not join me for a second round - he said one was one too many for him.

I would love to return this year, but having no other Christians in our party this time, I'll either have to miss it or go alone.
My husband is also an atheist.

But when I started planning our trip for this November/December, he reminded me to book the processional package. He really enjoyed it in 2014. So it really depends on the person.

It's CHRISTMAS. A RELIGIOUS holiday. This is the ONLY Disney presentation with religious overtones in the entirety of the 4 parks, and Disney isn't being inclusive enough? Really???

I don't think they were trying to say Disney shouldn't be doing it. I took their inclusive comment to mean are there non-religious holiday songs in it or is it simply all religious holiday music around the story of the birth of Jesus.

I don't think they were trying to say Disney shouldn't be doing it. I took their inclusive comment to mean are there non-religious holiday songs in it or is it simply all religious holiday music around the story of the birth of Jesus.
Seems to me he is. He said:
"I'm not sure if we'd find anything very inclusive in the event or not, which seems very un-Disney"

I don't think it could be much clearer that he thinks the event isn't suitable for Disney because it isn't inclusive.

Knowing info about Walt Disney and his family values and even the tidbit about hiring men with no facial hair back in the day, I took the comment to mean they would be surprised if it wasn't a 100% religious celebration given the conservative family values of the founder and organization.

Knowing info about Walt Disney and his family values and even the tidbit about hiring men with no facial hair back in the day, I took the comment to mean they would be surprised if it wasn't a 100% religious celebration given the conservative family values of the founder and organization.
Nothing else "Christmas" at Disney is the slightest bit religious. That doesn't make sense. This is literally the only mention of Christianity anywhere in the parks.

We went with friends who are atheists. She said for her it's just like listening to the Night Before Christmas. She doesn't believe in Santa either but can appreciate the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter