• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Camping at Fort Wilderness

MG3G

Mouseketeer
I have some questions about camping at Fort Wilderness. We are thinking about renting a set up trailer....

1) Are there handicapped sites or is it just pay per location?
2) Which loop is the best for being close to things? I have a scooter so distance isn't an issue for me however we have little kids and renting a golf cart is out because we'd need to rent two for our family size.
3) Is the transportation difficult? Would we be better off renting a van than trying to get 7 people and a scooter into buses and boats?
4) Is there anything important I should know about this trip? IE is camping a terrible decision - any idea if other options would be better?

We are coming to Florida for about a month in Feb 2018. We are planning on renting a house or condo for the rest of the trip but wanted to stay on site for the first two weeks - 10 day passes so I can pace. I wanted on site because of the extended hours and fastpass booking but would give that up for an accommodation option that works better for our family. It's two adults, 2 teens, and 3 small children. I have a neurological disorder so I use a scooter. We also would have a stroller for our littlest child who has difficulty walking due to disability and will be almost 6 at the time of the trip. It's a MAJOR undertaking - we are coming from the West Coast in Canada and I'm both trying to be economical but also trying to make sure I don't set our trip but to be a disaster. I appreciate any suggestions and am in early planning. Thanks

I don't believe there are particular physical obstacles making a given site more/less "accessible" than another (no stairs, etc.), I would guess there are no designated "handicapped" sites. You could ask on the Camping Forum about desirable loops and transportation. They are a pretty friendly bunch who love to camp.

As to whether camping is a good or bad decision -- that's going to be personal preference. My family tent-camps for a week every summer. We've never camped at FW, and never for longer than a week (I don't think that's the max my DH will take it :) ). Has your family camped previously? Will you be in an RV or trailer, or tents? I guess my only concern might be to make sure your mobility challenges still allow you to access the RV and the sleeping spaces, which usually means going up some (steep) steps into the camper and even getting into bed can be climbing up/around things depending on the layout. If your family has never camped, I strongly suggest you try it for a long weekend before your WDW trip. One bathroom for 7 people is going to cozy; I'd suggest requesting a site near a comfort station so that will be an option as well.

Enjoy your vacation!

I don't believe there are particular physical obstacles making a given site more/less "accessible" than another (no stairs, etc.), I would guess there are no designated "handicapped" sites. You could ask on the Camping Forum about desirable loops and transportation. They are a pretty friendly bunch who love to camp.

As to whether camping is a good or bad decision -- that's going to be personal preference. My family tent-camps for a week every summer. We've never camped at FW, and never for longer than a week (I don't think that's the max my DH will take it :) ). Has your family camped previously? Will you be in an RV or trailer, or tents? I guess my only concern might be to make sure your mobility challenges still allow you to access the RV and the sleeping spaces, which usually means going up some (steep) steps into the camper and even getting into bed can be climbing up/around things depending on the layout. If your family has never camped, I strongly suggest you try it for a long weekend before your WDW trip. One bathroom for 7 people is going to cozy; I'd suggest requesting a site near a comfort station so that will be an option as well.

Enjoy your vacation!

Thank you for your response! I'm learning my way around the DW portion of the Dis - MAN it's huge! lol I didn't even realize there was a camping forum! Thanks for pointing me in that direction!!! Also re camping - I should have said... we have a 30 foot trailer (it's glamour camping - glamping) but we "camp" extensively and have done so since our kids were tiny babies. I have zero concerns about the practicalities of a trailer... just the distances and logistics of getting around DW from there. Re my disabilities ... it's kinda like MS so I have good days and bad days - activity makes it worse so if I pace and use a scooter it works ok. We went to DL when I was MUCH sicker and managed alright. At that time it was a "last trip" because I was going down hill so fast but I've stabilized and learned my triggers now :)

In my opinion, with a large family who is used to camping, the Fort is absolutely the best place to be.

There are no obstacles at all preventing the disabled from camping. Every loop has an available comfort station with one disabled stall and one disabled shower. Everything is paved, unlike typical campgrounds.

The buses are no problem from the Fort with an ECV. Buses stop at every single loop, so you never have to go far to catch one. Just as with the rest of WDW, they will load the person with the ECV, followed by the rest of the family. When disembarking, it's the opposite, everyone gets off bus, then ECV and rider are last. Also, there is a boat from the Fort to Magic Kingdom, which is always very ECV friendly.

The Fort is also a great place if you are planning lot of non-park days. There is so much to do there that many people don't go to the parks at all, just vacation at Fort Wilderness. Lots of it is free.

Thank you for your response! I'm learning my way around the DW portion of the Dis - MAN it's huge! lol I didn't even realize there was a camping forum! Thanks for pointing me in that direction!!! Also re camping - I should have said... we have a 30 foot trailer (it's glamour camping - glamping) but we "camp" extensively and have done so since our kids were tiny babies. I have zero concerns about the practicalities of a trailer... just the distances and logistics of getting around DW from there. Re my disabilities ... it's kinda like MS so I have good days and bad days - activity makes it worse so if I pace and use a scooter it works ok. We went to DL when I was MUCH sicker and managed alright. At that time it was a "last trip" because I was going down hill so fast but I've stabilized and learned my triggers now :)
I have done the Fort with both scooter and cane using the bus system. you should be fine but remember that stroller will have to be folded so have that ready while waiting for bus. depending on stroller you might be able leave open on boat to MK. speaking of boat to MK you can roll ECV on but be prepared to not be with your family on the boat but you will be on same boat. my be a dumb question but are you able to get in to trailer by your self, no one helping? just thinking if you need to come back by self. you could do either the boat or buses by self in needed. it can seem like a long way from any park to your site in like DL. if you would need to use comfort stations they are very nice and handicapped stalls and showers are available. have a great trip

We are regular Fort campers. The resort is very handicap accessible. There are not certain sites set aside for handicap but when you make your reservation you can explain that having a site near the comfort stations would be best. They don't guarantee requests but they do try to accommodate them.

we have a 30 foot trailer (it's glamour camping - glamping) but we "camp" extensively and have done so since our kids were tiny babies. I have zero concerns about the practicalities of a trailer...

Sounds like you are ready! Someday I hope to camp at FW as well. Enjoy your vacation!

1) Are there handicapped sites or is it just pay per location?
. . . al sites are the same when it comes to handicaps
2) Which loop is the best for being close to things? I have a scooter so distance isn't an issue for me however we have little kids and renting a golf cart is out because we'd need to rent two for our family size.
. . . there are always "loops" closer to things
. . . but, with the internal buses, getting around is not hard

3) Is the transportation difficult? Would we be better off renting a van than trying to get 7 people and a scooter into buses and boats?
. . . internal buses (within the campground) and external buses/boats (between parks) is very good
4) Is there anything important I should know about this trip? IE is camping a terrible decision - any idea if other options would be better?
. . . you will enjoy The Fort more than any other resort
. . . people are more friendly, and so are the CM's
. . . remember, these are campers, and not just tourists
. . . campers are used to being friendly and talking to one another
. . . your kids might even meet other kids to play with, and spend the entire trip together

NOTE: The campground is known for making friends. At normal resorts, you might say "Hi" when passing other guests, but at The Fort, you can actually meet and talk to people. Visit the "Camping at Disney World" forum and view some of the postings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter