• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Calling all Vegetarians

Julia L

Earning My Ears
Where would be the best spots to eat, sit down or quick serve? I'd like at least one or two spots for each park. I'm tired of just salad and veggie burgers!! I want real options please!

I was a vegetarian for a few years and many Disney trips. I found that most TS restaurants were great about accommodating my dietary needs even if there wasn't an option on the menu. Your best bet is to ask your servers!

I was a vegetarian for a few years and many Disney trips. I found that most TS restaurants were great about accommodating my dietary needs even if there wasn't an option on the menu. Your best bet is to ask your servers!
great advice, even so which restaurants have the most flexible menus then?

Be Our Guest for lunch or dinner is an awesome option. And both times I've done lunch at Cinderella's a castle I've really liked my meal. Whispering Canyon in 2014 made me a really good vegetarian meal.
And Hoop Dee Doo was really good, too.
Pecos Bill's has a rice bowl now that I enjoyed a couple weeks ago.

Sunshine seasons in Epcot was very good. The Asian section always has a yummy dish with either tofu or chik'n (not sure of the spelling on that, lol). I also really like the chili at Columbia harbor house. Pecos bills is awesome. They have a huge topping bar (salsa, guac, cheese, etc). Just order your meal w/o the meat, and load your plate full of toppings. The quick serve in Mexico has really good empanadas, and Morocco has a platter with falafel.

I'm not a vegetarian, but have had some great veggie meals throughout the years at WDW. As other have said table services tend to be better, with just about everything in AKL hands down winning. Both Sanaa and Jiko have amazing options. In the parks, CHH's lighthouse sandwich (with hummus and broccoli slaw) is a perennial fav. I've also enjoyed the beet salad and butternut squash soup at Sunshine Seasons. Also had some great falafel and samosas in AK at Mr. Kamal's food court.

This has to be one of my only complaints about disney. In my experience they have very few vegatarian options. I usually wind up ordering Mac & cheese or chrilled cheese off the children's menu. I pack a lot of nuts and protein bars from home.
I admit I haven't actaully asked at resturants for a special vegatarian meal, I might have to do that next time.

In Hollywood Studios, Mama Melrose has several vegetarian options--Margherita Flatbread, Vegetarian Minestrone Soup, Vegetable Lasagne. My favorite there used to be the Pappardelle Pasta with Butternut Squash and Truffle Oil, but I don't see it on the updated menus, so not sure if it's still available.

In Epcot, Tangierine Cafe has a wonderful Vegetarian Platter and a Falafel Wrap.

sounds yummy, is it new?

Nope. Had it the first time on our first trip in 2010.

Their vegetarian chili is good too. Weird in combo with that sandwich though.

Sunshine seasons in Epcot was very good. The Asian section always has a yummy dish with either tofu or chik'n (not sure of the spelling on that, lol). I also really like the chili at Columbia harbor house. Pecos bills is awesome. They have a huge topping bar (salsa, guac, cheese, etc). Just order your meal w/o the meat, and load your plate full of toppings. The quick serve in Mexico has really good empanadas, and Morocco has a platter with falafel.

I think Pecos got rid of the fixings bar.

The soups at BOG are vegetarian. Ask about any soup bc they'll hide meat stock. But those two are veggie.

Oh and if brown derby still has it, their tofu noodle bowl is terrific.

I wouldn't use the dining plan on it, and it is expensive to pay cash for, but it's gooooood.

In addition to things already mentioned, Spice Road Table has a hummus plate & grape leaves that are amazzzing.

QSes - MK - the aforementioned Lighthouse Sandwich. Flatbread at Pinocchio's.
EP - lots of "substantial snacks." Sunshine seasons has some good veg options. I think Electric Umbrella, too, though somehow we never manage to go in there.
DHS - this is a hard one for me. I almost always end up eating a kids meal. One of the QSes (Backlot Express?) has a veggie sandwich, but it has IIRC mushrooms & I'm allergic, so no-go. Starring Rolls, same thing.
AK - flame tree usually has a strong veggie option. They also have 2-3 food carts that have veggie options, back along the back trail.

TSes - MK - fried green tomato sandwich w/o bacon was amazing. There's another veggie sandwich, too, which I've had in the past. Chef was veg herself and lit up like a Christmas tree when I ordered - said people always overlook it as an option. LTT has some sort of vegetable sandwich. BoG - quinoa salad, French onion soup is veg (!!!) and there's a ratatouille - again, mushrooms so I can't.
Epcot - tons of stuff. Ask your server, they'll help you out. We've had some shocking successes.
DHS - Brown Derby noodle Bowl, 50s PT has veg meatballs (though I've never eaten them... pesky mushroom issue,) I've eaten at Sci Fi numerous times, a modified pasta dish I think (good, but overpriced without the meat.). Ate at Mama Melrose, it was okay.
AK - We've done Rainforest & Yak & Yeti. Y&Y has a vegetable/tofu dish that's good!

HTH!

I just bookmarked this thread for my next trip. I just about starved on our last trip. Thanks for posting all the great suggestions. I never thought to ask if a restaurant had a vegetarian option not on the menu.

Thank you so much everyone, - and to all the other veggies, im glad i posted!

Nope. Had it the first time on our first trip in 2010.

Their vegetarian chili is good too. Weird in combo with that sandwich though.

I think Pecos got rid of the fixings bar.

The soups at BOG are vegetarian. Ask about any soup bc they'll hide meat stock. But those two are veggie.
PLEASE tell me they didnt get rid of the sides bar :(((

It's still there - or it was in August. It's modified a bit, but IMO (with the exception of the loss of the melted cheese) it's for the better.

I forgot - I got nachos and asked for no meat. They offered to sub in black beans... and then I loaded up fixins.

I am at WDW frequently and never starve. I do, sometimes, run into a problem where 3/4 of the way through the trip I need a shot of protein - it's been all starch, fruit, veggie, dairy up to that point. I've always put it off to the fact that so many veg entrees have mushrooms in them, so I do a lot of apps/snacks/sides.

Don't be afraid to speak up with your needs. I don't mean be belligerent or anything, just a, "Hey, I don't eat meat, do you have suggestions?" Sometimes there are things like the fried green tomato sandwich, or a shrimp pasta, which can be easily modified. TS is certainly easier than QS. We are allergy diners in general, which means we always see a chef, so I may be at an advantage... But I generally eat quite well at WDW.

Pecos still has the sides bar.

Also, when I was a vegetarian, it was very easy to find stuff to eat at WDW. Just ask :)

Our DDs best friend is a Vegan and she came with us on one of our trips. Everywhere we went they had great choices. The ones I remember is Kona for breakfast offered her vegan Tonga Toast or vegan pancakes. Also WCC had vegan quinoa patties. We also ate at Ohana - she started with humus and chips, vegan vegetables and noodles, a tofu stir fry dinner and a berry platter for dessert. Go to Ohana - she said the food was excellent.
I don't remember what she ate for her meal at HDD but I know they came out with a huge vegan dessert - with fruit, cookies, pudding and other things that she loved.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter