California Grill Poor Food Quality?

We have been there 3 times in the last 18 months and were very happy with every meal. We have never had a bad meal there before and since going to prix-fixe. We have enjoyed our meals at Le Cellier, but it's not as special for us as we have really good steak houses near us, but nothing like the food from CG.

I try not to watch clickbait videos, so I cannot comment on what it specifically identifies as "poor quality", but I last ate at California Grill in september and thought it was fantastic. Food was smaller portions (which I prefer), but very good quality. So much so that I just booked an ADR for it in march

We went twice in August. Originally only planned once but it was so good we cancelled a different ADR to go again later that week. Service was exceptional, food was fantastic, drinks were strong and delicious, zero complaints. I didn't watch the video, but i know an earlier comment mentioned the steak looked well done - i will say we had our filets and venison rare and it was like butter, it was SO good.

We dined there in October. I did not post on our meal because my personal experience was not good. My family did enjoy it. They did the fish, venison, sushi, the cheese plate for dessert, saki, the icewine martini, the pizza appetizer etc... they were happy with the meal. Venison was the standout.
In my opinion..for well over $600 (there were four of us and we ordered two drinks each) it was soooo not worth it.
I did order the steak. MEDIUM.

It is now a family joke that "mom" had beef jerky at Cali grill lol. My ravioli was cold... I actually asked the waiter.. is this supposed to be served cold? They did replace it. It was better hot.

I think I had such high hopes for this meal. For me personally, just bleh to ick lol. I would not return. My daughter and her husband probably would (she said the martini was the best she has ever had).

For the record, we had Le Cellier our last night of the trip and it blew Calif. grill out of the water. All for $200 less.

We dined there in October. I did not post on our meal because my personal experience was not good. My family did enjoy it. They did the fish, venison, sushi, the cheese plate for dessert, saki, the icewine martini, the pizza appetizer etc... they were happy with the meal. Venison was the standout.
In my opinion..for well over $600 (there were four of us and we ordered two drinks each) it was soooo not worth it.
I did order the steak. MEDIUM.

It is now a family joke that "mom" had beef jerky at Cali grill lol. My ravioli was cold... I actually asked the waiter.. is this supposed to be served cold? They did replace it. It was better hot.

I think I had such high hopes for this meal. For me personally, just bleh to ick lol. I would not return. My daughter and her husband probably would (she said the martini was the best she has ever had).

For the record, we had Le Cellier our last night of the trip and it blew Calif. grill out of the water. All for $200 less.
Thank you for the honest review. I think it's very stupid and arrogant of people that say they don't trust an opinion on a steak if they don't get it rare. I think if a high end place like California Grill can't make a wonderful steak at ANY temperature, they are not deserving of the mandatory high prices they charge for their food and cannot be considered an amazing place for steak. A quality cut will be wonderful any way its ordered.

Thank you for the honest review. I think it's very stupid and arrogant of people that say they don't trust an opinion on a steak if they don't get it rare. I think if a high end place like California Grill can't make a wonderful steak at ANY temperature, they are not deserving of the mandatory high prices they charge for their food and cannot be considered an amazing place for steak. A quality cut will be wonderful any way its ordered.
I agree on the steak temperature. Le Cellier (in a theme park no less) managed to make a great medium filet. I am not a rare person :) well I am rare... I just don't like rare lol. If I had to do it over again I would not get the steak. I won't do it over again though lol.

I agree on the steak temperature. Le Cellier (in a theme park no less) managed to make a great medium filet. I am not a rare person :) well I am rare... I just don't like rare lol. If I had to do it over again I would not get the steak. I won't do it over again though lol.
So is that a backhanded yes vote for Le Cellier, or a polite way of say Never Again?

So is that a backhanded yes vote for Le Cellier, or a polite way of say Never Again?
Oh it is a yes vote for Le Cellier :) If I had to do Cali Grill again I wouldn't do the steak... however I am not sure I would do CG again (maybe if it was not a fixed price?...they did make a lovely mai tai)

Dinner tonight at the California Grill

that restaurant is on point!

food was amazing,

service amazing

the menu was really well designed, and balanced

it is worth the price

I definitely think it's subjective. We loved Le Cellier when we tried it in 2022. My husband is Canadian and loved that he could get a steak from his home province. But, when we went again this past September, he said his steak was just okay and my food was so salty I could barely eat it. He said the steak at Yachtsman Steakhouse was significantly better. (I don't eat meat, so I can't weigh in.) I will be dining at California Grill for the first time in almost 10 years in March. The last time I ate there I had a horrible dining experience. But it's been so long, I really want to try it again. I did a lot of research on the reviews for the new menu as well. It seems like when they first introduced the Prix Fixe menu, it wasn't that great. However, based on recent reviews, it seems like it's improved greatly overtime. So, I'm really looking forward to trying it again.

I will also say that while I'm not sure what the noise level is like at California Grill, Le Cellier can be very loud. I had a hard time hearing my husband there. Overall, I think the ambience at California Grill is probably nicer.

Dined here for many years. Before the prefix, meals were wonderful. Had prefix in November. Very disappointed.

CG used to be our favorite Signature TS. However our last visit was 6 years ago. Even then we were getting less and less excited about eating there. For the record, we aren't huge foodies and basic comfort food will please us as much as a night at CG. And now with the fixed price menu, we are more disenchanted. Can't speak to the current food quality/value, but for us, there are so many other TS's that we want to experience. Steak 71 was IMO an OK experience for the price, and when we stay at BLT again, we will eat there vs. CG. CG for us was more of an emotional/reminiscence experience than an eating experience. If CG ever returns to a full menu, we may try it again, but we're not holding our breath.

Now since the return from Covid, our favorite is now the Flying Fish on the Boardwalk. So much so that we added on the BWV and love everything about FF and BWV.

So happy that WDW has so many options for so many different desires and tastes. What eats you like are never wrong as long as you are having fun!

We went to both California Grill and Le Cellier this January. Watching the fireworks from California Grill was an amazing experience.The food and drink - not so much.The raviolo and bread service were great, but the filet and pork were average. The chocolate dessert had the taste and consistency of something that had only been partially defrosted. The waitress was pleasant, but burdened with a large number of tables, and it showed. Le Cellier, on the other hand, was wonderful. The cheddar soup and steaks were delicious. The waiter also had many tables, but other staff members filled in so we were ever left waiting. It was also much cheaper! We have come to the conclusion that Disney’s prix fix offerings provide a mediocre experience, even at restaurants that were really good before this change.

We went to both California Grill and Le Cellier this January. Watching the fireworks from California Grill was an amazing experience.The food and drink - not so much.The raviolo and bread service were great, but the filet and pork were average. The chocolate dessert had the taste and consistency of something that had only been partially defrosted. The waitress was pleasant, but burdened with a large number of tables, and it showed. Le Cellier, on the other hand, was wonderful. The cheddar soup and steaks were delicious. The waiter also had many tables, but other staff members filled in so we were ever left waiting. It was also much cheaper! We have come to the conclusion that Disney’s prix fix offerings provide a mediocre experience, even at restaurants that were really good before this change.
We went to the Cali Grill Jan 10th,

We had a reservation but ate at the bar.

Matthew did a fantastic job.

Great personalized service

Everything we sampled was perfect.

Here is the issue with steak when you order it X by the time it gets to the table it will be one up from what you ordered.
If you want a true med. order med rare.
In my experience I will always tell the server the least they will cook it (with the exception of a few places) most of the time when it hits the table it is close to med rare sometimes between med rare and med. Some steak houses and some how space 2020 were willing to serve it Blue in which case I will ask for rare as that is my preference. If the outer part was as grey as in the video it is going back.

I was at CG in Sep 2023 and Nov 2022. Both times it was the prix fixe menu and I enjoyed both times. Going back again next month!

Food is very subjective so you need to take anyone else's review with a grain of salt (which by the way is almost all you need with a little pepper on a good steak). He ordered that steak medium well and said it was good but not very juicy. It's very hard to cook a steak medium well and make it juicy, it can be done but it doesn't happen often. I would say keep your reservations and decide for yourself.
I didn't watch the whole video but he also said a previous time he had ordered steak and it was juicy at medium week and he could cut it with a fork. Not many steaks you could cut with a fork, most likely it was filet. This video definitely doesn't look like filet, not sure what it was supposed to be.

I don't think California Grill's food has been the same quality since prior to COVID. Once it reopened it wasn't as good, and it it has stayed not-quite-as-good with the prix fixe nonsense. Not bad, just not quite as great as it used to be. Unsure why that is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter