California Grill experience?

Is. California Grill worthy of the designation as a fine dining signature experience?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rebelbuddhist

Mouseketeer
My wife and I ate at the California Grill last night abd were largely underwhelmed. We had very high expectations and they were largely not met. Service was oh so slow-- ADR was a 7:25 and we finished desert just in time for fireworks at 10:00 pm. A potatoe/cheese soup with lobster toast started our meal and it was superb. 0ur $69 Waygu ribeye was disappointing in many ways-- size, preparation, temperature and more. The best part of the entree was a potatoe side! Dessert was also disappointing-- not bad but nothing special. All in all this was a very normal experience in what should have been a fine dining one.

I don't know if I would ever say definitively "no". But that being said, I'm kinda done with Signatures in general. I think I go in expecting too much and for the prices, I always walk away a with a bit of a ho-hum feeling. Not that the food was bad at any of the signatures I've been to (almost all)...just not like, mind blowing or really outstanding.

So I guess the question should be "Should you expect a perfect meal when it's costing you $300 for 2 people". I would say yes. Some people actually GET a perfect meal...some don't. Inconsistency at Disney is par course unfortunately.

With the exception of V&A there is no Fine Dining in WDW. There are some restaurants better than others but Fine Dining is a whole different category.

My wife and I ate at the California Grill last night abd were largely underwhelmed. We had very high expectations and they were largely not met. Service was oh so slow-- ADR was a 7:25 and we finished desert just in time for fireworks at 10:00 pm. A potatoe/cheese soup with lobster toast started our meal and it was superb. 0ur $69 Waygu ribeye was disappointing in many ways-- size, preparation, temperature and more. The best part of the entree was a potatoe side! Dessert was also disappointing-- not bad but nothing special. All in all this was a very normal experience in what should have been a fine dining one.
I'm sorry to hear about the wagyu. I was wanting to try it when I go in December. I don't care about it being small but can you elaborate on the rest of what was wrong with it? thanks :) i might have to stick with the filet, which is at least known fairly consistent (at least as much as anything at disney is). plus i love risotto.

We have had NOTHING but amazing experiences dining at Cali Grill. I would highly recommend it to anyone. Yes, I do agree that they are a bit slow but the food is amazing. We enjoy the entire experience from the wine tasting prior to being seated to each course of the meal. We have not dined there since the restaurant was remodeled, but will be visiting this December and I couldn't be more excited. If you have never tried it, I think you're truly missing one of the most unique experiences that Disney has to offer.

I think your mistake was having very high expectations out of a Disney restaurant. Having said that, I have ate at the California Grill 4 times now, and have had a good experience every time. Attentive staff, good food, good pacing of that food, and a great view of the fireworks.

I'm not sure what you had for dessert, but the chocolate pudding cake is wonderful with a cup of strong black coffee.

My wife and I dined at CG 8 years ago and it was a wonderful experience. One still to this day we will talk about from past trips.

My son, who was 1 back in March, and I had a fantastic dinner there. Professional, friendly service and one of the best filet mignons I have ever tasted. Plus the view is priceless.

I may be in the minority here, but I love the slower pace of dining at California Grille. For what you are paying to eat, I don't want to feel rushed. I want to savor a meal like that. I also feel like my entire trip at WDW is spent running ... quick services meals, fast passes, park hoppers, etc. There is very little time to stop, savor, and just breathe in your surroundings. It is the one meal we do every time, and ensure that we have no other plans for that night because you need to just enjoy the view, the food, and what we have always been fortunate to have - excellent service.

Just ate there about 2 weeks ago with 4 friends. Overall we had a really great experience there. That was my second time eating there, but the first time was back in the late '90s.

All of us had the filet, but we had different appetizers. I think we all had different desserts, but I could be wrong. We shared the appetizers and the desserts. The food was really good. Our server was really great as well.

We didn't necessarily find the pacing to be awfully slow. Our server did encounter some problems with our dining plans though. So that took a little bit longer than normal. But otherwise, she followed our cues for the pacing.

I haven't been thrilled with the waiters or the service. We eat there primarily for the fireworks viewing. The last time there we were able to use our receipt to re-enter the restaurant. The host encouraged us to watch from the left balcony. There we were able to watch Hollywood's fireworks show then pivot to watch Magic Kingdom's immediately afterward. It was a moment I will never forget.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter