CA Gov signs the vaccination bill in to law

The schools in CA are going to suffer. Public (and some private) schools get federal funding for each student and when people start dropping out and homeschooling (which many, many will do) they are losing out on that money.

I wonder if the Steiner schools out there will have to close down.

Are you aware that home school families are able to go to local school districts to receive school supplies? That the State of California will provide computers for home schooling use, upon request? It is about choice, plain and simple. Up thread someone suggested forming a "magnet" school, another way of self directing taxpayer funds.

As for funding dropping, I'd rather those that choose not to vaccinate keep out of the general population. It is a choice to put everyone else at risk, time for society to start restricting how much risk we are exposed to.

That's the slippery slope argument, and things rarely go that way. For instance, supposedly we have freedom of speech in this country, however, the Supreme Court knocked that down in the 1800's. But in the almost 200 years since, the government hasn't taken away our freedom of speech aside from things that are a danger to public safety, such as joking with TSA agents or yelling fire in a crowded place. Never putting laws in place because of this fear of bizarre things that could happen is a bit extreme.

And for your last paragraph, no one says that vaccines are 100% effective. Each vaccine has varying degrees of efficacy. There are people who are too young to be vaccinated, and there are people who are so ill that they can't be, or their immune systems are so weak that even though they are vaccinated it won't keep them from getting infections. We have a responsibility to protect those people, or do you think they don't count?

Slippery slope- it's happening in exactly this case. There was a law requiring vaccinations, with exceptions for religious and other reasons, and now that has been changed. So, it won't go further than that? Don't think so.

As far as feeling a responsibility to protect those with weakened immune systems or those who can't vaccinate, no- I don't feel a great responsibility to protect them. I feel they need to protect themselves first. If that means they need to stay away from public schools where other people will be exercising their rights to not inject their body with things they'd rather not, then so be it.

As I stated previously, I am vaccinated and my children are vaccinated. I agree with the need to vaccinate, but I don't think the government should be deciding what one does with their own or their children's bodies.

Imagine if the government didn't regulate anything, & left it up to the general public to decide what is right for everyone? No laws, no police....Ugh, what a scary place this would be....

As I stated previously, I am vaccinated and my children are vaccinated. I agree with the need to vaccinate, but I don't think the government should be deciding what one does with their own or their children's bodies.

As many people have said, the government isn't making the decision, individuals still make the decision and accept the consequences.

The schools in CA are going to suffer.
As noted, California is not the first, nor the second, state to eliminate the philosophical exemption for vaccine requirements to attend schools. This is not a new notion. I'm not aware of anyone highlighting any such negative fallout to schools in other states due to their policies.

As noted, California is not the first, nor the second, state to eliminate the philosophical exemption for vaccine requirements to attend schools. This is not a new notion. I'm not aware of anyone highlighting any such negative fallout to schools in other states due to their policies.

California is the most populous though. The other issue is that it's not a typical political divide argument. A lot of the ridicule has been over "hippie" Marin County and the high rate of personal belief exemptions. However, if you look at the votes against this bill/law, those were mostly by Republicans and Dems in conservative leaning areas. Not all, but the leanings of the politicians didn't necessarily jibe with the high incidences of no vaccination in their districts.

Imagine if the government didn't regulate anything, & left it up to the general public to decide what is right for everyone? No laws, no police....Ugh, what a scary place this would be....
I think there is a difference in police and laws as opposed to choice in this area.

Driver's license, private pilot's license, car insurance, compulsory education, draft registration . . . why must the government be involved and require and regulate all these?

Driver's license, private pilot's license, car insurance, compulsory education, draft registration . . . why must the government be involved and require and regulate all these?

If they didn't, how would they be regulated?

Slippery slope- it's happening in exactly this case. There was a law requiring vaccinations, with exceptions for religious and other reasons, and now that has been changed. So, it won't go further than that? Don't think so.

As far as feeling a responsibility to protect those with weakened immune systems or those who can't vaccinate, no- I don't feel a great responsibility to protect them. I feel they need to protect themselves first. If that means they need to stay away from public schools where other people will be exercising their rights to not inject their body with things they'd rather not, then so be it.

You feel no responsibility towards others? I don't feel that way. Sick children don't deserve to go to school? I can't agree with that, either.

This isn't an example of a slippery slope law. People are making decisions that are negatively impacting the public. Governments make laws to keep the populace safe. So they made a law trying to protect people. It's like carseats, it's a law that you have to have your kid in a carseat. That doesn't even impact the public at large, just the individual kid. Should governments not make laws regarding carseat use? Why is the government taking that choice away from parents?

The schools in CA are going to suffer. Public (and some private) schools get federal funding for each student and when people start dropping out and homeschooling (which many, many will do) they are losing out on that money.

I'm cynical enough to believe the schools will be okay, because quite a few who had objections will decide it's okay to vaccinate when they have to home school.

Again, the government is not deciding what one does with their own or their children's bodies. There is absolutely nothing in the law that says you have to put something in your body.

It is governing admittance into schools. That is all. You are not vaccinated, you don't gain admittance.

Sounds perfectly fine to me.

As for having a medical disease, that is not optional nor a choice.

Not vaccinating due to an ignorance of science is a choice. The ones making the choice should be the ones bearing the consequences. The medically frail should be allowed in schools. Those making a conscious choice to not vaccinate are the ones who need to homeschool.

Last edited:

The schools won't suffer too much. The federal funding is per student. If students leave, that is less students to provide services for. The federal funding for the students still in school remains.

I'm cynical enough to believe the schools will be okay, because quite a few who had objections will decide it's okay to vaccinate when they have to home school.
I also believe that a good chunk of those who are supposedly so adamantly opposed to vaccinations will discover that opposition fades when they realize homeschooling is a PITA. The hardcore Jenny McCarthy followers will whine and homeschool, but the "we go gluten free because it's trendy and not because of actual medical reasons" crowd will stand a lot less firm. Opting out was made much too easy and they went for it because it was so easy. Once it makes life difficult, many of them will simply not put forth the effort. Only the hardcore ones will. And I'm fine with that.

To put this into perspective. The people who used to protest against the war in Iraq, did so at The Oaks Mall in Thousand Oaks, CA. These folks who show up around 10:00 am on Saturday mornings, Starbucks' cups in-hand. The disperse at around 11:45-12:00, tee times and crazy things like that. These are the same ones complaining now. These same folks want doctors to declare learning disabilities so that their college age children can receive priority registration at CA state universities and local community colleges.

You can't really compare CA to Mississippi and West Virginia. CA has huge pockets of parents who are vehement about their parental rights. Silicon Valley is ground zero for vaccination abstention.

I guess we can only wait and see what happens, but these parents will not just give into getting their children's shots just because the politicians are holding public school over their heads. Based on numerous stories I've read, some have children that have been vaccine injured already so I really don't think so. I predict this issue will go to the supreme court.

You can't really compare CA to Mississippi and West Virginia. CA has huge pockets of parents who are vehement about their parental rights. Silicon Valley is ground zero for vaccination abstention.

I guess we can only wait and see what happens, but these parents will not just give into getting their children's shots just because the politicians are holding public school over their heads. Based on numerous stories I've read, some have children that have been vaccine injured already so I really don't think so. I predict this issue will go to the supreme court.

Vaccine injured..what's that?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter