• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Buying Resale which would you choose

ANGIELAST

Earning My Ears
Hi
I’m from UK and want to buy resale. I was going to buy at AK but someone suggest I should consider CCV due to longer lease.
I will be coming every other year and most times will need a 2 bed villa (until kids don’t want to come anymore). I know CCV is dearer but has the longer lease. Should I take this into account. I think I need about 250 points at AK probably a little more for CCV. Can anyone offer any advice. Thanks

I LOVE SSR and own at RIV. I would be considering SSR contracts. I won't go into the details of why I love it, there are plenty of threads on that. It is never my "Resort of Last Resort."

The initial buy in price is only one factor, the bigger and more significant factor is the length of contract which of course is how many more years you must pay dues. In 2068, when CCV expires, I'll be approaching 90, so that length of contract did not make sense for me nor did I want to assume my kids would want to hang onto it. Another consideration is whether you want 11 month home resort advantage at a resort where you need it. You don't really need it for resorts like SSR or OKW and maybe not even for AKV if you are wanting to stay in savannah or standard view. You may not need it for 2BRs at all but of course largely depends on when you want to vacation.

If there is a specific resort you want to stay at, buy there. Being international your flexibility for when you travel is most likely very slim. If you were state side and had moderate flexibility, I would advise to take your budget and buy as many points as you could at SSR.

I had to google dearer to figure out what you were saying, but now that I got it, it totally depends on your family. Where do you want to stay. AKL has pretty good availability, especially if you would travel during times like September. It's not usually hard to switch into that resort, so unless you want club level or value rooms (which are hard to get even at 11 months) then you don't necessarily need to own there. CCV on the other hand, is much harder to book at 7 months, so if you want to stay there at least sometimes, it is much easier to own there. Sure the contract life is nice, but it depends on how old you are. I'm close to 40 and I don't necessarily see ownership until 2068 something I need. I have a 2060 contract and that's plenty for me. While my kid loves Disney now, there are too many unknowns for me to count on giving him a contract that would require him to pay thousands of dollars in annual dues.

Personally, we enjoy CCV and AKL. You can't go wrong with either. The bonus for AKL is the one bedroom at Kidani does have two bathrooms. CCV has a similar lobby as Jambo house. The pools at both are similar. We prefer the bar at CCV. Great view of the lake. AKL has some great views of some pretty cool animals. The walk from the lobby to your room is likely much shorter at CCV than AKL. CCV food is mostly BBQ and smoked meat. AKL is very ethnic and curry seasoned. Staff is great at both. AKL DVC leaves you with two options between Kidani and Jambo. AKL is a little off the beaten path but has dedicated buses. CCV shares buses sometimes between FWL but closer to the action. CCV has a boat to MK. CCV has the nighttime light parade on the lake.

As long as the refurb at AKV goes well I'm sure AKV-K is going to go from one of our top/most desirable resorts to #1 (at WDW) quick due to the extra bathrooms in the 1BR and larger units. That's just such a nice feature to have for larger family trips.

Kind of spoiled that both DVC resorts at Disneyland have that feature :)

As a side note - Wilderness Lodge is magical.

For me, it all came down to where I wanted to stay the most. I mean, I've only ever stayed at one...and I loved it and that's where I purchased. However, I pretty much already chose it as my 'top' pick just based on pictures and videos. Yes, I did look at other factors like length of deed and cost. But the most important part was really to buy the resort I knew I'd love.

So I'd look at photos and videos. Read reviews. Look at floor plans. Then see if you can afford the place you love the most.

SSR, AKV, BLT, OKW, and CCV are the top 5 value WDW resorts when taking into account everything (buy in, dues, expiration, inflation, future value of money, etc.) Personally I like AKV and BLT out of those, but CCV can be a good choice. I personally avoid SSR and OKW because I don't want to have to rely on 7 month availability in the future when it keeps getting worse. AKV, BLT, and CCV will rent better if needed than SSR and OKW as well. And AKV and BLT are due for a refurb in the next year so the rooms will get nicer and their value may go up. Just my two cents

You are thinking about this correctly in terms of factoring point charts and cost to purchase points.

A rough guide is each additional year is worth $1 today and most of the longer contracts are priced roughly $15 more.

If you are looking at copper creek, also consider Boulder Ridge.

Old Key West resale prices are down quite a bit with direct discounts depressing prices.

Age of the kids and interests matter quite a lot. Are you going to rent (hire) a car? That might tilt your preferences. No car, I would lean toward boardwalk (walkable to epcot and Hollywood studios) and copper creek (boat to magic kingdom). With a car - and parked close by like okw and ssr, this is an option to avoid waiting for busses. Coming from the UK and likely early risers with the jetlag, you can probably get a good parking spot.

AKW - savannah view seems like a bucket list checkoff for me at least once. But after that, do I really want to spend the points for a savannah view? I would seek out a loaded contract and give you more points for savannah view first.

OKW vs SSR vs AKV- the price differential is key (adjusted for points on the contract). Okw at 78 vs akv at 90 is a tough choice for me. Same with SSR at 70 vs akv at 90. But if the cheaper contracts go away and it's 85 vs 90, it I certainly worth a small price premium for animal kingdom.

One major issue with CCV is that it is rather small so sometimes difficult to get the room you want at 11 months. AKL of course includes both Kidani and Jambo House when making reservations at 11 months, so much easier to get the room type that you want. I own there and have had no difficulty getting some of the smaller room groups like the Club Level and Value.

Consider the "age where the kids don't want to come anymore". If that means you won't be coming either, you now have a cap on when you'll want to sell the contract. It's been widely reported that average ownership is 10-15 years. With 2042 resorts being 18 years away, and everything else being beyond that, if your goal is to sell in 10-15 years, you can really choose anything that strikes your fancy.

Echoing the sentiment of others, choose where you'd prefer to stay, without regard to the length of the contract.

If your primary goal is minimizing your total cost of ownership over a period of 15 years, the single most important factor is purchase price per point. Nothing else even comes close to determining your cost on a present value basis.

CCV 2 bed room villas is the same cost of points as about the AKL SV. If you think u would want Standard view and save some points, you should buy at Akl as those not consistently available at the 7 months mark. If you like wilderness lodge area and location, should buy there instead as the 2 bedrm even harder there at 7 months mark.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter