• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Buying in Nassau Question

I bought stamps and a Cuban cigar on PCC 1.0. I know I had to use cash for the stamps, and pretty sure I used cash for the cigar. I got US dollars and cents back for both transactions. Which I was a little disappointed in, as I like collecting different currencies. Its something my papa got me started in. He traveled a lot for his job and brought me home coins from around the world. Nothing valuable or anything. But I was the only person in grade school to have coins from Africa. It was pretty neat.

Yes, they sell rum cakes, alcohol, cigarettes and cigars as well.

Real Cuban cigars? Were they fresh? How much did they run?

I may see a Cuban Cigar and Port Party on the Cruise! Is there a place for DH to enjoy a Cigar on the cruise?

Here is more info on the Travel Visa Card in lieu of Travelers Checks or Carrying Cash - you can get it through AAA or possibly your bank or credit union.

Thanks for this information...I called both of my banks and neither of them offer it (and only one sells Travelers Checks)...but I did a search and found a number of retailers in the area that do offer the Visa Travel Card. I think this is the way to go. Thanks again Tracey.

Real Cuban cigars? Were they fresh? How much did they run?

I may see a Cuban Cigar and Port Party on the Cruise! Is there a place for DH to enjoy a Cigar on the cruise?

Real Cuban cigars. I'm certainly not an aficionado, so I don't know how great they were. Don't remember the cost. I had it in honor of my dad. :(:littleangel:

I had mine while strolling around deck 10. Jaime (and/or Shelly) took a photo of me...perhaps I can find it.

]Here is more info on the Travel Visa Card in lieu of Travelers Checks or Carrying Cash - you can get it through AAA or possibly your bank or credit union.

Thanks for this information...I called both of my banks and neither of them offer it (and only one sells Travelers Checks)...but I did a search and found a number of retailers in the area that do offer the Visa Travel Card. I think this is the way to go. Thanks again Tracey.

You might check your local AAA office. They may offer it even if your are not a AAA member.

There is something worth purchasing in Nassau. After having the "coffee" on the ship, I made a beeline to the Starbucks. :rolleyes1

You might check your local AAA office. They may offer it even if your are not a AAA member.

Good Point, I'm not a member of AAA, but you're right...it's worth a shot.

And even if you are not concerned about fraudulent activities, your credit card company may tack on international fees, duties and varying exchange rates. That's a big gripe from the Windsor Business Coalition (Detroit's sister city across the river in Canada). They claim it is a reason the Americans don't cross into Canada, charge stuff and spend their money there.

Um... I think it has more to do with the 13% HST. =)

Thanks for asking this, I was wondering myself. I hope to buy some rum to take home as well as a few rum cakes.

Thanks for asking this, I was wondering myself. I hope to buy some rum to take home as well as a few rum cakes.

Amazon.com
Tortuga Caribbean Six-Pack Mix, 4-Ounce Cake
A sampler pack of luscious rum cakes
Six tropical flavors -- original golden with walnuts, chocolate, coconut, banana, key lime, and pineapple
Six 4 oz cakes - each serves 1 to 2
Hand glazed with 5 year old Tortuga rum then vacuum packed to lock in freshness
Baked in the Caribbean from a four-generations old family recipe
List Price: $35.00, Amazon Price: $26.92
FREE Super Saver Shipping

Tortuga Original Caribbean Rum Cake, 16-Ounce Cake
List Price: $17.50, Amazon Price: $13.46

DSis purchases Nassau Royale (liqueur) in Nassau--it is hard to get in our area. I believe I've also seen bottles of Falernum in Nassau as well--we used to put that in Christmas cakes. With the current flight restrictions, you have to really want to bring back those liquids, since they have to be packed in checked luggage. If you do get change in Bahamian money, be on the lookout for their famous $3 bills! I like to think of them as souvenirs in themselves.

Amazon.com
Tortuga Caribbean Six-Pack Mix, 4-Ounce Cake
A sampler pack of luscious rum cakes
Six tropical flavors -- original golden with walnuts, chocolate, coconut, banana, key lime, and pineapple
Six 4 oz cakes - each serves 1 to 2
Hand glazed with 5 year old Tortuga rum then vacuum packed to lock in freshness
Baked in the Caribbean from a four-generations old family recipe
List Price: $35.00, Amazon Price: $26.92
FREE Super Saver Shipping

Tortuga Original Caribbean Rum Cake, 16-Ounce Cake
List Price: $17.50, Amazon Price: $13.46

Thanks. Guess I can leave room in the truck now for more Rum:woohoo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter