Buy annual pass before current is expired?

wings91

DIS Veteran
I usually have 2-4 months between trips. Renewing our APs even though discounted is less savings then buying a new one and getting a full 12 months instead of wasting our off time.

Assuming APs ever go on sale again, can I buy new APs before our current ones are expired? Then activate the new APs on the next trip so the clock starts on our first park day?

I usually have 2-4 months between trips. Renewing our APs even though discounted is less savings then buying a new one and getting a full 12 months instead of wasting our off time.

Assuming APs ever go on sale again, can I buy new APs before our current ones are expired? Then activate the new APs on the next trip so the clock starts on our first park day?
No you can only renew passes that aren't currently available, and the renewal kicks in when the old pass expires.

Things can change, but based on what I've heard.... you are never going to see AP as an always there product. They have set "limits" on how many they will offer, they'll wait for a good sized "pot" to build up as others allow theirs to expire. At some point they'll offer those in that "pot" for sale.... but it sounds like once their meet their assigned quota, sales will end once again.

I the past we would buy a pass use it for a year, then skip a year... we did get ours back as soon as they started offering them through the whole call get you name on a list and wait a month make several other calls... till they allowed us to repurchase. Been too afraid to let them expire...

Since nobody knows when APs will go on sale again, it would be a gamble to allow your current AP to expire without renewing because new APs might not become available again before your next trip.

Based on the past...when APs were available for sale you could buy a voucher and not activate it immediately. Keep in mind that one change a year ago put an expiration on a new AP voucher, which somewhat negates that option of buying and holding onto it for a later date. If you don't activate the new AP within a year of purchasing it, that voucher cannot be activated as-is and rolls into a credit towards a new AP; if APs are not available for sale again when you want to use that credit, I don't know how that would work. It's possible you'd only be allowed to apply the credit towards regular date-based tickets if APs aren't available.

I guess you could do this on different MDEs, if you want to get crazy. Or you might crash Disney IT and lose all of it.

If APs ever become available thru 3rd party sellers again, you would get a voucher you could hold onto. If they ever allow 3rd party sellers the way they used to. That’s a big if tho.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter