Busch Gardens Worth It?

NorthshoreTigerFan

Mouseketeer
My family (wife and I are 50...UGH..., kids are 17, 16 & 13) and heading back to DC, SW & AQ the last week of May. The previous times we've gone, we didn't go to BG because of the drive (about 1:20 - 1:30 each way from where we are staying) and the shorter hours of operation. But with Iron Gwazi up and running, I'm tempted...

For those that have gone, is it worth it? My kids and I (not the wife) LOVE roller coasters and are psyched about SW's current lineup. Another family may join us and the parents aren't big on roller coasters, but their 18yo twins love them too. I know BG has a decent lineup of their own roller coasters and the animal attractions seem pretty cool too.

What are y'all's thoughts?

Thanks!!!

I thought it was super worth it - I am big into coasters & their lineup is top notch! There are also great animal exhibits (another major win for me). If you like one or the other, you can fill a day. If you like both, it's a very full day as you try to cram in all the highlights.

The exhibits make it nicer for a non-rider to wait while the coaster-crew does each big ride. While waiting, rather than sitting to the side watching people, non-riders spend that time watching cheetahs, hippos, in the aviary, etc.

There are also some good non-coaster rides - particularly the train. And the raft ride if you don't mind being partially soaked. Non-coaster people can also do a full lap around on the train while coaster-riders do several coasters in a row.

Busch Gardens is absolutely worth an 80-90 min drive. The shorter hours are a bummer, but what can you do. Oh wait, you can add another day.......

You didn't ask, but make sure one of you has the BG upgrade on your DC tickets even if you don't plan to go - that upgrade will give you free parking at SW & AQ. It's cheaper to upgrade a ticket than pay parking.

You didn't ask, but make sure one of you has the BG upgrade on your DC tickets even if you don't plan to go - that upgrade will give you free parking at SW & AQ. It's cheaper to upgrade a ticket than pay parking.
I saw that...even if we decide not to go to BG, I will get the BG add on for free parking for just $20.

If you like coasters it's worth going for Iron Gwazi alone but the other coasters are great too.

The good thing is even with the shorter hours, usually if it is a weekday when schools are in session crowds are low and you won't be waiting in too many long lines although Iron Gwazi could bring more people. I stop in often during a weekday for 90 minutes - 2 hours on school days and other than Cheetah Hunt and sometimes Cobra's Curse, everything else is usually 0 - 15 minute wait and later in the day those 2 coasters also usually don't have much of a wait.

We aren't coaster people.....I'm a ride chicken, and DH 's incredibly broad shoulders and chest generally means he can't fit in the restraints.....but we LOVE Busch Gardens. As "animal people", it's a fabulous place to visit. We've done several of their tours and they've all been top notch.

Cheetah Encounter:

Aldabra Insider Tour:

Serengetti Safari:

Elephant Insider Tour:

Can anyone recommend a few reasonably priced hotels (Best Western, Holiday Inn Express level) in a safe area if staying overnight to do 2 days? I read on these boards that it's best not to stay right near the theme park - kind of a dicey area? (I know zilch about Tampa, so this isn't coming from me. Just what I've read.)

And thank you OP for the thread - huge animal nut - always thought BG was mostly thrill rides. We've added BG just to get the free parking in past, but darn, now I'm sorry we didn't actually go. Will have to stalk upcoming sales. :)

Thank you so much for this thread. We've been considering adding a couple days at Busch Gardens, and might even try to do it for our spring break in a few weeks, if we end up going to FL. Kids love crazy coasters. I'll probably skip most of them, I can handle mid level thrills, but not the most intense. Glad to hear about all the animal activities. Love the pics.
Also interested in any info about where to stay? also any touring recommendations? like which rides get the longest lines? (saw PP's info on Cheetah, Cobra's curse.) We try to rope drop wherever we go, so just want to know which way to go first. we did BG Williamsburg this past summer, so fun, but some rides weren't open when park opened. We didn't opt for head of the line pass there, and first day, no issues, but second day, saw lots of people using their express, long lines. If we go in March, it'll be spring break busy. Any other tips/info appreciated!

Iron Gwazi is where everyone is likely to go to first. Since it hasn’t been open to the public yet, it’s hard to say how bad it will be at opening but I expect it to have a long wait as soon as the park opens unless you are in the front of the crowd and because it is the coaster closest to the park entrance. To give an idea of how fast the line moves, the longest I have waited so far is a full station that was a 20-25 minute wait although that’s without anyone in the Quick Queue line.

Cheetah Hunt and Cobra’s Curse are close to each other so you could start there if you want to avoid the running to Iron Gwazi and get those rides in and then go to Montu which is next to Cobra’s Curse.

Sand Serpent and Scorpion and possibly Kumba don’t open until 11.

Last edited:
It's definitely worth it. The rides are incredible (and, even when the park is massively crowded, you can normally ride every ride you were hoping to by the time the park closes), the food is affordable, and the shows are well-made. It's got something for every age group, and has plenty of places to sit and cool down on hotter days.

It's a nice park. And it's a pretty economical add on if you are already doing SeaWorld (love that one). I usually go, but that's mostly because I have a cousin from Tampa who doesn't drive and it's a great way to spend the day with him. If it weren't for that I probably wouldn't do it, just because there are so many great choice less than a 1/2 hour from anywhere in Orlando.

If your already doing SW, DC, and AQ and have the extra time to spare then adding BG is a no brainer in my opinion. The added cost is very little and as another poster mentioned you should add it even if your not going as it gives you free Parking at AQ and SW. If they are all open (we just returned from BG and were disappointed that Sheikra and Montu were closed and Iron Gwazie not open yet) then the BG coaster lineup beats out SW easily. Cheeta Hunt is probably my family's favorite coaster ever and we have been on a lot of them over the years. Well I guess I shouldn't speak for everyone, we all certainly really enjoy it, even my wife who is not much of a coaster fan, I do know it is my favorite, especially as I get a bit older. I will still do all the coasters we encounter but dont necessarily still enjoy all of them as much as I used to. There is just something about the multiple accelerations and smoothness, and just enough twist in it that is makes is my favorite overall ride. I will say during this past visit there was no water at all in Cheetah, no waterfall, no water under the coaster. I'm not sure if this is do to conservation efforts for work or what but will say it did kind of take away from the overall ride experience quite a bit. Antoher big add on for BG if you have people really looking for the thrill aspect is their drop tower, I've done it twice, not a big fan myself as it scares the sh*t out of me compared to other drop towers, but several teenagers in our group will be talking about that ride for a long time I think. Of course dont forget the animals, the Serengheti Safari is one of the best bang for your bucks add ons in my opinion.

BG is definitely worth it IMO. They now have the best triumvirate of coasters in Florida: Iron Gwazi, Cheetah Hunt, and Cobra’s Curse. The dive coaster I call Shakira is good too.

I’m less thrilled with Kumba and Montu since they are pretty much clones of coasters at many other parks. Scorpion is a relic of early 80s design.

Shows and animal exhibits are top notch.

There is a Hampton Inn directly across Busch Blvd which is nice and safe, but the neighborhood is iffy. During our previous stay there we discovered that you CANNOT just cross the street to enter the park. No pedestrian entrance. Maybe that has changed.

Did Busch Gardens on March 22nd and was really disappointed. Do note that we don't do thrill rides anymore, so all I am saying is that if you aren't going for the coasters IMHO it's not worth it for the non thrill rider person. Here is my review that I posted on Trip Advisor:

REVIEW
I recently got back from a week long spring break trip in Orlando and on one day, I drove to Tampa and took my cousin to Busch Gardens. We really enjoyed this park together in 2018 even though we don't do the coasters anymore. We then especially enjoyed feeding the birds and going to the shows. Food didn't seem that out of line then in 2018 either -- theme park prices, but not that outrageous.

Fast forward to last week. With the bird flu all the aviaries which were our favorite were closed. Also, although the sister park SeaWorld has three big shows going, there were no shows at the Busch Gardens at all on the day we visited. And then the one meal we had there (A soft drink, a bottled water, a salad with chicken, a bacon cheeseburger combo, and a salad (cousin intended it to be a side salad) were what we ordered) and our total cost was $54. At least the salads had nice fresh ingredients and tasted good. But OMG - this was my highest priced meal per person on my entire trip.

The park does have some nice animal exhibits, but my cousin was not really that interested in seeing the larger animals and if you exclude the birds, small animal exhibits (kangaroos - nice little exhibit -- penguins (not much of an exhibit and dirty windows making it hard to see) are about it. We did the safari train, the bumper car ride, and visited the smaller animal exhibits mentioned.

Next time I visit my cousin, we'll check out the Florida aquarium one day and the Lowery Park zoo another day. We made the best of our day (park mostly a backdrop for visiting), but for the price of admission, parking, and food I was super disappointed.

I will say that I did not do advanced research, and I blame myself for that. I assumed that since shows were open at SeaWorld they would be open here too. And the bird flu is not something Busch Gardens has control over. Just saying that if you aren't going for the thrill rides, my personal recommendation would be to give Busch Gardens a skip at this time unless things change. I doubt we'll go back to this park again.

The park also compared to SeaWorld and Epcot which were so beautiful had a run down feeling (too much closed and things looking like they needed some freshening up).

I go mostly for the coasters but they really do need more non coaster rides. There is just the train, bumper cars, Falcon's Fury, carousel, river Rapids and log flume and if you don't want to get soaked, that is only 4 non coaster rides. A dark ride would be a good addition especially since they don't have a single indoor ride. With the Sky Ride reopening and the Screamin' Swing supposedly for next year (parts are already on site) that will help.

Unfortunately the ice skating show does not have performances on Tuesday and Wednesday.

We aren't coaster people.....I'm a ride chicken, and DH 's incredibly broad shoulders and chest generally means he can't fit in the restraints.....but we LOVE Busch Gardens. As "animal people", it's a fabulous place to visit. We've done several of their tours and they've all been top notch.

Cheetah Encounter:
View attachment 648841

Aldabra Insider Tour:
View attachment 648842

Serengetti Safari:
View attachment 648843

Elephant Insider Tour:
View attachment 648844
This looks amazing. One of my kid's is a huge animal lover so I would love to take her.
Is this something you pay for separately? Does it require a separate day. I want her to get
the full experience so don't mind paying for as many as i can for her birthday.

If you plan to go to WDW/Orlando also should you fly into Tampa then drive to Orlando
or vice versa?

This looks amazing. One of my kid's is a huge animal lover so I would love to take her.
Is this something you pay for separately? Does it require a separate day. I want her to get
the full experience so don't mind paying for as many as i can for her birthday.

Each of the encounters & tours is a separately booked add-on activity. They don't require a separate day, but will take approximately an hour (maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less, depending on exactly which tour you choose). You can do more than one tour in a day if you so desire, as long as they aren't held at exactly the same time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter