• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bus or Boat for MK Rope Drop from WL?

ofcabbagesandkings

DIS Veteran
I asked about the boats in the WL thread and then did a search to see if others had asked the same question (probably should have reversed the order on that, but OK) It seems that the boats don't launch until 30 minutes before Rope Drop, which feels uncomfortable to me because it's the first day of our trip so I'm worried if there is a long line for the boat or security, or if we have an issue with our magic bands we will wind up far behind the pack. What time do the busses to the MK start to leave from WL, and is there usually a long line at the resort for the busses? Or have the boats started to leave earlier than they used to? We were looking forward to a leisurely boat ride but we also want to see the opening show and head straight to our first ride at rope drop. TIA!

If you get the first boat to MK then it will arrive in time for rope drop. We missed the first boat but a second one was right behind it. The second boat got us to MK before rope drop, too.

The buses start running earlier than the boats do and will also get you to MK in time for rope drop if you get there early enough. :)

Travel time wise buses are typically faster. I believe the buses begin before the boats due to early breakfast dining reservations.

If you would like to take a boat prior to the direct MK boat running, you can get on the resort boat which will take you to the Contemporary and walk from there - I believe those boats start around 6:45 am or so to get people to early morning breakfast ADR's. We did this on our last stay at WL and had the boat to ourselves then had a lovely walk to MK.

If you would like to take a boat prior to the direct MK boat running, you can get on the resort boat which will take you to the Contemporary and walk from there - I believe those boats start around 6:45 am or so to get people to early morning breakfast ADR's. We did this on our last stay at WL and had the boat to ourselves then had a lovely walk to MK.

Just wanted to echo this advice if you’d rather opt for boat over bus.

We foolishly did the “show up at the boat dock trying to get to MK EMM” awhile back - before I had a better handle on WL boat operations. There we were, eager to get going and to get to MK on time... the resort loop boat pulls up. Captain asks why we aren’t getting on, told him we’re going to MK. He laughed at us and said “you’ll be waiting awhile!”

We were already pushing timing as it was, so ended up taking it and bolting (eg, running/fast walking) through CR and over to the MK to make it on time.

Lesson learned!

We took the boat each time and made rope drop (not emh) but not front of the pack for rope drop. DH loved taking the boats so I humored him. The buses are faster.

FYI the buses normally start at 6:30 AM. For very early park openings (e.g. 7:00 AM) they start running one hour before park opening.

In my opinion, only take the boat if you feel like a scenic ride. If your goal is the most efficient transportation, take the bus. The bus ride is shorter and the buses arrive more frequently. (That is for any time of day.)

Thanks everyone! Bus it is. I want to get through the turnstiles and maybe grab a coffee at Starbucks before the opening show too if the line isn't crazy (in my experience Starbucks lines can be as bad as lines for rides but fingers crossed) :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter