"Budget "things for Vero Beach

jann1033

<font color=darkcoral>Right now I'm an inch of nat
we will be going to d's vero beach resort for a few days before and a few after WDW( like a total of 10! yikes!!) and from local vb websites it definitly looks like a"budget Busting" area so any ideas of fun but cheap things to do within a1/2 hr drive or so from Vero ( me as a solo most of the time so not rapelling off mountains... if I could find one:) ) that are "florida" type things or inexpensive but "florida like" places to eat?? ( like not olive garden or some chain i can go to in ohio minus the palm trees outside the window)

I got a cheap Rest. com certf. on ebay for someplace called "manatiki" so hope that is not a dive. any one ever hear of it? ( think it is in fort peirce..which someone told me is a "bad" area ..hoping they are wrong!)

they have a Tanger's outlet mall but do not know how " outlet" that really is and wonder if they have a DS outlet...

basically I need to find stuff to fill time with something other than the beach which would get old after a while so any suggestions would be great!

sorry if this is not the right palace to post this but couldn't think where else to do it!

Thanks

Hi Jann1033!
We're also going to VB in 30 days! I too have noticed that everything looks pretty expensive. There is a treasure musuem close by that is $1 pp and there is always the beach! You might want to post this over on the DVC discussion board, many people over there have stayed at VB.
Have Fun!

We go every summer and your right it can get expensive. We're beach people so alot of our time is spent on the beach. Go to www.captainhariams.com (spelling may not be right). They do river boat cruises that aren't terribly expensive. There is a wildlife museum about 5 minutes if that from the resort that cost very little. Rent a metal detector and roam the beach for treasure, it is the "Treasure Coast."

Dining I suggest Capt. Hiriams and The Patio both very good and won't break the bank. Both have websites with menus and prices. We are DVC members and you will get alot of replies on the DVC board. Many might suggest the Black Pearl, VERY EXPENSIVE and the Ocean Grille, a meal for 4 was about $80 and thats no drinks or dessert. Which was fine but the seafood platter my DH ordered lacked flavor. Which odd sice the place hangs out over the ocean.

Certain parts of Ft. Pierce are better than others. We live about 15 minutes from Downtown Ft. Pierce (which is a nice area on the water) and Manatiki. From the DVB resort you are probably looking at a 45 minute drive. The food is good and the restaurant overlooks the water. Very laid back.

As far as Tangers Outlet, sorry but there is no DS outlet. There are a lot of other nice stores to shop such as Liz Claiborne, Dooney & Burke, KB Outlet, and many others.

All in all, in the immediate area surrounding the VB resort, there is not an overwhelming amount of places to go to. I am sure you will still find plenty to do.

Enjoy!

I also highly recommend the Patio as a moderately priced restaurant. Just make reservations if you can. If you go early for supper, you can get an early bird special on your meal at almost any restaurant in Vero. Be prepared, there will be a lot of retirees there too!

Do go to the Ocean Grill, just go for lunch. Cheap way to eat great food! It is one of those restaurants that can't be missed!

Also go to the Papa John's in Melbourne. I think the deal is 2 pieces of pizza and a large drink for $2.50 for lunch! My husband and I go there a lot! I find Vero to be very reasonably priced in comparison to Disney restaurants etc. To get there turn right onto A1A out of the resort, then at the lights turn left. When you get to the gas station at US 1 hang a right. Go through Melbourne, past Captain Hiram's and Mel Fisher's museum.

There is a lot of good shopping in Vero too. I understand that Palm Beach is not far. I think it is an hour or so. I have never been though!

Originally posted by Betty X

Also go to the Papa John's in Melbourne. I think the deal is 2 pieces of pizza and a large drink for $2.50 for lunch! My husband and I go there a lot! I find Vero to be very reasonably priced in comparison to Disney restaurants etc. To get there turn right onto A1A out of the resort, then at the lights turn left. When you get to the gas station at US 1 hang a right. Go through Melbourne, past Captain Hiram's and Mel Fisher's museum.

Just wanted to say that I believe you are referring to the Papa Johns in "Sebastian" not Melbourne (Melb. is 30 min further north). The Sebastian Papa John's (on the corner by the KFC/Pizza Hut/Taco bell and the Superwalmart) however, has closed.

I live just between Vero and Melbourne Beach. As far as things in the immediate area of the Vero DVC resort...there isn't all that much :) haha. In the city of Vero there is a "fairly" nice mall on rt 60. This also has an AMC movie theater (with stadium seating) in it, as well as a TGI Friday's and an R.J. Gator's. R J Gator's is a chain, but it was started in FL, and has only spread to a few places out of FL. I am not particularly fond of their food. Just ate there on Sat. night...boy there sure was a rowdy crowd there for the Gators/Noles game, there are a ton of TVs in the restaurant and everyone was cheering, or groaning as your preference may be, loudly. Great game in the final seconds though, even if the gators did lose :(

Further west on 60 is the Tanger Outlet mall. Since this outlet opened it has changed hands, and names, at least 3 times. Some of the stores have closed, but there are a good amount of stores still open. As far as outlets go however, I would say this is a pretty pricey outlet mall.

The "treasure" museum someone mentioned is on US1 in Sebastian. Nothing too spectacular. Capt. Hirams (just www.hirams.com) is a nice place directly on the water in Sebastian also. They have an outdoor sandbar with live music most nights. There is a pretty simple/cheesy mini-golf place off of Oslo Rd in Vero. There is also a mini-golf/go-cart/arcade place called Andretti Speedway a little further north in Melbourne.

If you have any specific question you can PM me and I will try my best to answer them. I have been in this area for about 16 years (took a quick detour to Indianapolis last year for a year ;) ) and am pretty familiar with everything in the surrounding areas. If anyone else however can think of anything fun and exciting to do in this area, without driving a good distance, then I welcome the news as well. There are just so many nights you can say to your friends...so what do you want to do...I don't know what do you want to do??? :teeth:

lol sounds just like here! well except no searching for manatees here! thanks for all the info. I feel alittle more comfortable just knowing... maybe I need to bring some books! ( not that that really sounds all that bad to just kind of putz around)

The manatee comment got me thinking that there is an electric plant somewhere in Vero (I think you make a left after going over the bridge that is after the yacht club marina thingy) that manatees hang out at because of the warm water there. Someone help me out here, I go there every year but I just don't know what the streets are called!

Thanks for the correction on the town...now that you say Sebastian I recall that is of course right. Sorry for the wrong info! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter