Budget minded car rental?

hsmamato2

<font color=magenta>Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad
I posted this on the transportation board, but thought it was worth a shot here too, where all the great budgeteers converge...
I've got a car rental price from Sanford airport- Alamo for almost 14 days, total price w/fees is 388.87 for a compact 4 door. Anyone out there thin I can do better? I've tried mousesavers and all the codes i could find,It just seems like rental prices are so high- I'm not asking you to do my homework, just wondering if anyone has any advice- can I get this lower? if so, any tips for how? Oh, this is for mid-late january-Thanks! :earsgirl:

Are you talking dollars or pounds? I got a great deal for June GBP377 for 3 weeks for a compact 4door car, all inclusive. Try uscarhire.com.

Good luck

I don't know how that translates into dollars... :confused3 But I'll check out the site- have you used them before? just want a reputable company...thanks

I haven't used them but they come very highly recommended from the various owners on one of the villa owners sites.

had to do housework...NOW I'll go check it out- any other suggestions out there? :flower:

hsmamato2 said:
I posted this on the transportation board, but thought it was worth a shot here too, where all the great budgeteers converge...
I've got a car rental price from Sanford airport- Alamo for almost 14 days, total price w/fees is 388.87 for a compact 4 door. Anyone out there thin I can do better? I've tried mousesavers and all the codes i could find,It just seems like rental prices are so high- I'm not asking you to do my homework, just wondering if anyone has any advice- can I get this lower? if so, any tips for how? Oh, this is for mid-late january-Thanks! :earsgirl:

The problem could be that you're renting from the Sanford airport. Sometimes fees are higher at smaller airports. I got a fee of $192 (including all taxes) for an SUV for 7 days from Alamo at MCO during February.

gottaluvdis said:
The problem could be that you're renting from the Sanford airport. Sometimes fees are higher at smaller airports.

I think $344 for a compact is pretty expensive.

If that's the case, maybe the OP should consider renting from Sanford for a day and then picking up another car closer to WDW. So, is your rate in USD? Do you have to add anything else to your base rate like insurance? I ask because very few domestic flights come into Sanford and I think people assume that you are not from the US.

I just plugged in the last two weeks of January into Travelocity and I get rates of $317 (all taxes, no insurance) for Intermediates at both Dollar and Thrify from SFB.

Wow! Now here's some stuff I can try- yes- we're from the NE, we're just trying Allegiant airlines bc/ they had a $39 special... :cool1: I'm definitely going to check out the priceline thing, and possibly getting a car at Disney and turning the Sanford car in after one day- I checked the usavecarhire, it's the payless site, and runs from MCO anyway... I'll keep reading and appreciating any and all advice- thanks for plugging some dates for me... :earsboy:

Ok- I went searching and this is what I found... I got from enterprise web site a rate of 138 per week, so that's 276, add on fees
veh.lic. recovery-4.34
2.02 tire charge per day 28.28
privilege fee rec. charge 28.03
tax 23.56
total is 360.21 this is for a chevy cavalier or sim.
it says additional fees may apply, you think they'll add more when we get there? I'm still looking, heading to sidestep next.... any and all advice still appreciated-

Hmmm ... What are your exact dates? You're still coming up with rates about $20 more per week than I did for approximate dates. At least the Enterprise car is not a compact! I don't think they will add anything else to your quote. You can always grab that one and keep on looking. Things may change when we come out of the December/Christmas/NYE black-out period and new codes/coupons are released.

jan 15-29 I checked Travelocity site- their cheapest they offered was the same as on enterprises site, - so I went with the site itself, I did book- lookig for better in the meanwhile though-thanks!

gottaluvdis said:
The problem could be that you're renting from the Sanford airport. Sometimes fees are higher at smaller airports. I got a fee of $192 (including all taxes) for an SUV for 7 days from Alamo at MCO during February.

I too got this great rate for Feb. but if you check now that special is gone and the rate for this same SUV has gone up from $259 (10days) to around $800 now. :eek:

I'm so glad I booked early. But for those who haven't booked early I'd wait for last minute deals.

OK ... I plugged your dates in and got this from Thrifty using the SAMS code from Mousesavers:

Pick-up: SANFORD, FL, USA
Date: Jan 15, 2006 09:00 AM
Drop-off: Same as pickup
Date: Jan 29, 2006 09:00 AM
Car Type Full-Size
Car Type & Rate > Change
Car Class: Dodge Magnum, Taurus or similar
Rate: $119.99/week
Total Base Rate (USD): $239.98
Options > Change
Book It
Rental Time Charge $239.98
10% Discount $24.00
With Discount Applied $215.98
Concession Recovery Fee (11.11%) $24.73
State Surcharge ($2.03 per day) $28.42
Sales Tax (7%) $19.30
Vehicle Licensing Fee ($0.47 per day) $6.58
Total Estimated Mandatory Charges (USD) $295.01
Estimated Grand Total (USD) $295.01

If you are returning the car on the 29th more than an hour of two later than your pick-up time on the 15th you will be charged for an extra day. FWIW, I think $108 per week (or even the $119 before the discount) is a great price for a Full-Size car. You would be able to save about $10 over your whole rental if you chose an Intermediate instead.

try LandMcarrental they are great and have the best rates around...

I am so dumb... I spent some time looking for Land McCar rental.... couldn't find anything...duh! I love L & M also- I don't know if we can use them near Sanford, I'm gonna check- Robinb-Thankyou! you are so cool and your dd is such a cutie... I'm not a sams member, so I can't get that rate- I will try to do what you seem to be suggesting though, and plug some codes form MS into their site again...

I tried the Thrifty site, and can't seem to plug in the wamlmart codes, it doesn't recognize, maybe Im putting in wrong place, l and M is pretty cheap, but i have to pay a fee for early drop off, oy, this is hard this year!

they are great we use them all of the time when we go to florida..do you need their web site..L and M..???????????

Oh, I've used them in the past- I just couldn't believe I couldn't figure it out for a while...duh- I checked them out- they use an affiliate in Sanford,ok prices, but I don't like the early drop fee, so I'm still looking- I have enterprise right now, but I know some don't like them either- Thrifty isn't giving anything too cheap right now- maybe they don't like my attitude... :rotfl:

hsmamato2 said:
Oh, I've used them in the past- I just couldn't believe I couldn't figure it out for a while...duh- I checked them out- they use an affiliate in Sanford,ok prices, but I don't like the early drop fee, so I'm still looking- I have enterprise right now, but I know some don't like them either- Thrifty isn't giving anything too cheap right now- maybe they don't like my attitude... :rotfl:

Well ... it looks like prices went up over at Thrifty because when I last wrote a Full Size was $119 per week. It's not $159. That's why I always grab a good rate when I see it and then check back for better rates. I am also not a member of Sams Club, but I would have booked that rate anyway using the SAMS code. The $119 (without the discount) was cheaper than your Enterprise rate, so you would have still been better off even if they didn't give you your 10% off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter