• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Budget breakfast ideas

dvcnewgirl

<font color=green>Williamsburg, VA<br><font color=
Besides cereal, toast, eggs, waffles and pancakes. What do you feed your kids for breakfast? I need new ideas. Thanks!:goodvibes

Here are some of our breakfast choices:
  • Breakfast burritos
  • bagels w/cream cheese and jelly
  • Canadian bacon & eggs w/cheese on an English muffin
  • granola bars and cereal bars
  • waffles w/peanut butter and apples
  • crepes
  • croissants
  • yogurt with fresh fruit & granola
  • ham & cheese sandwich (hey, you eat ham and eggs with toast in the morning, don't you?)

And, I admit that yesterday, DS16 grabbed big ol' hunk of blueberry pie before heading out the door. It wasn't the most nutritious choice, but he also grabs breakfast at school before heading to class. Teenage boys...you gotta love 'em!

Quick oats (not the kind in the packets) are very cheap, add your own flavoring (Syrup, brown sugar, raisins, cinnamon, berries, dried fruit ,etc)-and add a dash of salt so they don't taste flat.

My kids also love steel cut oats, but they aren't budget at all. I usually reserve those for the winter, and then cook them overnight in the slow cooker with apples and cinamon.

Breakfast pizza is good too, and not too expensive.

muffins of all kinds...you can do nutritious sweet muffins with all kinds of fruits and veggies (banana, zucchini, etc.) and you can do savory muffins with things like ham and cheese, sausage, etc. in them.
The ingredients might be a little pricey themselves, but you don't really need much for the muffins and can strecth it a long way.
There are so many recipes on line for all different types of muffins!
I make a big bunch of differnt kinds ahead of time and then put them in the freezer and take them out as needed the night before (the ones with meats and cheeses in them I put in the refrig. and warm them up in the oven in the morning...)

It's not exactly a "nutritious" meal, but sometimes in the summer when we have more time, I make buttered pasta (a small shaped pasta) with parm. cheese. It is a tradition in my family that goes way back from when my mom had buttered rice for breakfast!

Quesadillas with refried beans and cheese with a little sour cream and salsa on the side. Yummy and it sticks with you until lunch!

Anything left over in the fridge is always up for grabs for a quick breakfast, too. I enjoy potatoes. the kids like spaghetti.

Hey, we often eat pancakes and waffles, cereal, ice cream or eggs and biscuits for dinner. I suppose we are "non-traditional" eaters!

smoothies and juices - I use a Magic Bullet or my Vitamix.

non traditional foods like soup or pizza

:)

We make what we call Farmer's Breakfast. We make this on the weekends. Sometimes we make it for dinner.

potatoes (usually about 6 to 8 medium)
onion
oil
1 T. butter
seasoned salt
1/2 lb bacon or ground sausage
eggs
milk
cheese (we use velveeta, but it's whatever you prefer)

Cook and crumble bacon into bits. If using ground sausage, brown and drain. Set aside.

Add enough oil (we use olive) to cover the bottom of your skillet. You want about 1/4" of oil. Then add T. butter. Peel and cut potatoes into bit sized chunks. Slice union. Add both to a skillet. Add seasoned salt to taste. Cook in oil and butter on low/med heat until the potatoes start to become soft on the outside (about 10 to 15 min). If you cook them too long, they will become mushy.

Drain most of the oil from your skillet. You will need enough oil left so that it doesn't scorch your pan.

Stir in bacon or sausage with your potatoes and onions.

Mix 4 to 6 eggs with milk. You want it to be like a scrambled egg mixture. Pour over your potatoes.

Cook over low heat until your eggs are cooked through.

Top with your favorite cheese and cover the skillet with a lid, so that your cheese melts. Once the cheese melts, you are good to go.

Enjoy! :)

ETA: Because this is so filling, there are always leftovers.

I only cook a big breakfast on the weekends. During the week it's: cereal, oatmeal, muffins, bagel w/ cream cheese, English muffin with pnb, whole wheat toast with pnb, yogurt, waffles, Pop Tart, etc. Sometimes I make a "toad in a hole" - cut a hole out of the center of a slice of bread, butter it, put in the skillet and crack an egg in the middle - add a little s/p. Cook the egg in the bread. My kids love that. Sometimes I also make homemade Egg McMuffins - toast an English muffin and put cheese, egg, and CB on it (or ham).

There are crock pot recipes for breakfast casseroles.

I used to put a few chocolate chips on top of the kid's oatmeal.
They stir it and voila...chocolate oatmeal.

Sausage balls are a quick, inexpensive breakfast. I usually make a double batch, divide them into servings, and freeze them. You can either thaw them the night before or put them in the oven straight from the freezer. They are sooooo good!

We do lots of the same things already mentioned.

Lately, during cooler days, I've been making extra muffins to stock the freezer to eat in the summer when I don't want to run the oven. I can control the ingredients. I use part white and part whole wheat flour, fruit, applesauce, yogurt in my favorite recipes.

Homemade banana bread, blueberry bread, zucchini bread.

If we have breakfast for dinner, I save the extra (turkey) bacon for bacon, egg, and cheese sandwiches on toast the next morning.

My kids and I like oatmeal. DS only likes the flavored packets. I get packets for him cheap at Aldi and add regular quick oats to his to make it stretch. (He'd eat two or three packets if I let him.)

Another treat I love is baked oatmeal. I found a recipe from a B&B. Just knowing that they make it at a cozy B&B makes it taste wonderful.:goodvibes

Can you give us the recipe for sausage balls? Thanks they sound good!

Sure! They are so easy that I have the recipe memorized! It makes quite a few sausage balls, but the recipe can be doubled and frozen.

Sausage Balls

1 lb pork breakfast sausage
8 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese
(The recipe calls for 1 lb of cheese, but I prefer to use only 8oz.)
2 cups Bisquik (or any other quick biscuit mix)

Preheat oven to 350°.

Mix ingredients in a big bowl. Roll mixture into 1" balls. Place on a baking pan sprayed with cooking spray.

Bake for 10 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked thoroughly.

We do lots of the same things already mentioned.

Lately, during cooler days, I've been making extra muffins to stock the freezer to eat in the summer when I don't want to run the oven. I can control the ingredients. I use part white and part whole wheat flour, fruit, applesauce, yogurt in my favorite recipes.

Homemade banana bread, blueberry bread, zucchini bread.

If we have breakfast for dinner, I save the extra (turkey) bacon for bacon, egg, and cheese sandwiches on toast the next morning.

My kids and I like oatmeal. DS only likes the flavored packets. I get packets for him cheap at Aldi and add regular quick oats to his to make it stretch. (He'd eat two or three packets if I let him.)

Another treat I love is baked oatmeal. I found a recipe from a B&B
. Just knowing that they make it at a cozy B&B makes it taste wonderful.:goodvibes

Recipes Please!! I love to have muffens for the kids to eat, but have never made any with apple sauce or yogert so recipes for them would be great!!

Also I am interested in the baked oatmeal, my 4 kids LOVE oatmeal and this sounds interesting so would like to make it for them!

Thanks

There are crock pot recipes for breakfast casseroles.

I used to put a few chocolate chips on top of the kid's oatmeal.
They stir it and voila...chocolate oatmeal.

OK, I want to know how you do it, because I have a crock-pot cookbook, and all the breakfast recipies look super yummy, but I'm not waking up at 3 am to get it going!

Recipes Please!! I love to have muffens for the kids to eat, but have never made any with apple sauce or yogert so recipes for them would be great!!

Also I am interested in the baked oatmeal, my 4 kids LOVE oatmeal and this sounds interesting so would like to make it for them!

Thanks

Here's the recipe I've been using recently for my muffins. I've been substituting plain yogurt for the sour cream (low fat and cheap). I haven't tried flavored yogurt, but I'm sure that would work and add flavor. (Now ya got me thinking of trying blueberry yogurt with blueberry muffins.) This recipe is good with white flour or a mixture of white and whole wheat.
http://www.30daygourmet.com/eNewsletters/Archived_Newsletters/Articles_2005_08/Tara_Fav_Muffin.asp

Here's the baked oatmeal recipe I like. There are others listed on the home page. I wasn't crazy about the other one I tried, so I've stuck with this one. The first ingredient in each of the ones I've tried is "oatmeal". I wasn't sure if this meant cooked oatmeal or oats. After trying it both ways, I found that I like oats. I use 3 cups quick oats instead of 3 cups cooked oatmeal which would technically use less oats. I like baking this in individual ramekins. (great with walnuts)
http://www.bbonline.com/recipe/ourhearts_co_recipe3.html

As for applesauce, you can use unsweetened applesauce as a substitute for oil in many baking recipes at a 1:1 ratio. (I've also used sweetened or cinnamon applesauce.) Just make sure the recipe has some other fat, like eggs, before totally replacing the oil with applesauce or your baked goods can turn out dry.

Hope that helps. Enjoy!

I also sometimes buy chocolate chip muffin mix. I make banana nut bread into muffins sometimes, too.

peanut butter and jelly sandwich
glass of milk and fruit
to make it "healthier" use whole grain bread ,real peanut butter and all fruit spread instead of jelly
My DD loves this with a sliced apple or banana
on non school days i make her a " cheese & fruit tray" sliced fruit apples,pears, strawberries whatever we have on hand -cubed cheese ( i use frilly toothpicks to stick in the cheese cubes) and yoghurt
also "strawberry shortcake" I slice strawberries, mash a bit for juice and put them over left over cut up biscuits and add vanilla yoghurt on top.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter