• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Broken Foot Before First Trip

Princess Merida

DIS Veteran
Oh my goodness! We are supposed to be checking in September 28th to BWV for 6 nights for my extended family's first Disney vacation. We are DVC members (sort of...lol white card) and so my daughter and I have been many times. However, this is my cousin and her family's first time to Disney! We booked their room with our points, and it's my cousin, her daughter, her fiance and my aunt in their room. My cousin fell down the stairs today while holding her daughter. Thank God her daughter is fine, but my cousin has broken her foot. How bad will this be? She just left the emergency room and is in an air cast. I guess at least she will be able to take it off and go into the pool (no slide😥). She will obviously need an ECV for park touring. Who should we rent through? Also, how do lines work? I've seen at the bus stops where ECVs board first with their families, but there are 6 of us total, will we be able to board with her? I'm sure it's difficult navigating Disney World this way...ugh! So much planning ....always a change... go with the flow I guess.

We've usually had a family member in an ECV on our trips, and we have always all boarded the bus together as a group. On the most recent trip, there were 7 of us.

We own an ECV now, but back in the dates when we rented, we rented from Walker Mobility, and always had a good experience with them.

Before DH bought a powerchair, we rented a scooter from Randy's Mobility. They were a terrific agency to work with.

Even though it's tempting to use an agency Disney permits to drop off the scooter at bell services for your cousin to pick up at arrival, that's not a good idea. It's better to make an appointment to get delivery so as to have the agent demonstrate how the scooter operates, how to connect the charger (which can be tougher to figure out than you'd think) and what to do if there'd be a problem with it.

It'll all work out. Really, it will.

Just my .02 but I would use the ‘wait and see’ option too as 2 weeks post break is very close for a Disney trip, depending on how severe the break is. A friend’s son broke his wrist in June and the doctor didn’t approve travel until a week before their trip. She may not want to risk further injury. Also think how many attractions include boats (small world, Pirates, Frozen) that she may not nbe able to climb in and out of.

If you do go, we rented from Buena Vusta. ECV was very self explanatory and dud not require a tutorial even four my 75yo dad…except to reach him turtle mode. ;)

The only vendor allowed to utilize Bell Services at WDW resorts is ScooterBug. Many guests rent from a third-party vendor who will meet you in person for delivery/return. Some use a set schedule at each resort while others will plan directly with you.

Your party should be allowed to board with the ECV. Any stroller will need to be folded. And no extra riders on the ECV (I’m assuming a young child based on your OP).

I have been very happy with renting from Gold Mobility; first with a rollator then two trips with a scooter. Good customer service and good equipment with long battery life. They do have a minimum flat weekly rate even if you need it for fewer days.

In answer to your question about how lines work, they are not all the same. The cast member outside each attraction can tell you how that one works. I just ask, “How do I access this attraction?” For most you drive the ECV right through the whole line, for some like Pirates you park next to the entrance where attraction wheel chairs are available and use the wheelchair to go through the line, for a few like Jungle Cruise and Big Thunder they give you a return time and you approach in an alternate spot, and for Spaceship Earth you enter through s different door and a cast member leads you in through the exit after you park.

Another vote for gold mobility It’s easy to set up a convenient time to meet them outside the resort entrance for a convenient delivery and pickup. They will patiently go over the details and make sure you are comfortable with the features before departing.

Do you know how bad the break is? Meaning, is it just a fracture or something more extensive? She may be able to just use a knee scooter which would be much easier to navigate the parks, transportation, and lines. She could also use it at home, in the airport, etc.

Just my .02 but I would use the ‘wait and see’ option too as 2 weeks post break is very close for a Disney trip, depending on how severe the break is. A friend’s son broke his wrist in June and the doctor didn’t approve travel until a week before their trip. She may not want to risk further injury. Also think how many attractions include boats (small world, Pirates, Frozen) that she may not nbe able to climb in and out of.

If you do go, we rented from Buena Vusta. ECV was very self explanatory and dud not require a tutorial even four my 75yo dad…except to reach him turtle mode. ;)
I didn’t even think of her not being able to ride these. I hope she will be able to put some pressure on it by then.

Oh my goodness! We are supposed to be checking in September 28th to BWV for 6 nights for my extended family's first Disney vacation. We are DVC members (sort of...lol white card) and so my daughter and I have been many times. However, this is my cousin and her family's first time to Disney! We booked their room with our points, and it's my cousin, her daughter, her fiance and my aunt in their room. My cousin fell down the stairs today while holding her daughter. Thank God her daughter is fine, but my cousin has broken her foot. How bad will this be? She just left the emergency room and is in an air cast. I guess at least she will be able to take it off and go into the pool (no slide😥). She will obviously need an ECV for park touring. Who should we rent through? Also, how do lines work? I've seen at the bus stops where ECVs board first with their families, but there are 6 of us total, will we be able to board with her? I'm sure it's difficult navigating Disney World this way...ugh! So much planning ....always a change... go with the flow I guess.
Once she gets the hang of navigating with an ECV she will be fine - tell her to start practicing at the local supermarkets. Next thing, hurry up and get a ECV rental before they sell out ( again use the DISablities forum to find out the best companies to use) and I would not rely on getting one in the parks as they sell out immediately and you can't transfer park to park with them. As far as rides- cast members are AMAZING! Most of the rides she will be able to use it up to boarding the ride and then CM will take it and park it at the exit of the ride. The rides where she can't use an ECV they have wheelchairs to assist. As far as buses, ferries, monorails and gondolas no need to worry as the CM's will assist and yes for the most part maybe a few of you will be able to board with her first.

Do you know how bad the break is? Meaning, is it just a fracture or something more extensive? She may be able to just use a knee scooter which would be much easier to navigate the parks, transportation, and lines. She could also use it at home, in the airport, etc.
We just know it’s fractured. We are not too sure of the severity or how bad the ligaments are. She has to see the orthopedic doctor early this week. I have a knee walker she can have. Has anyone on here navigated Disney with one? That seems like it would be difficult, but I was not great with the knee walker.

You could get her a chair and they have access in the buses for wheelchairs and at the parks lots of people leave their wheelchairs out. Or a knee walker which is easier to get around in.

Another vote for gold mobility It’s easy to set up a convenient time to meet them outside the resort entrance for a convenient delivery and pickup. They will patiently go over the details and make sure you are comfortable with the features before departing.
Another Gold Mobility fan here! And don't hesitate to ask other ECVers questions. I've found (from when I rented the first ecouple of times) that other ECVers are generally very understanding and helpful with first time ECV users. Also, one tip-tie something like a colored scarf on your scooter (I use a pink bandana). Otherwise, all scooters look alike and it's nice to know for sure exactly where yours is.

Make sure she talks to her doctor about flying with the air cast. Changes in air pressure while flying can be dangerous. The cast may need to be adjusted for flight and then readjusted once on the ground. I've heard the knee walker can be very tiring to those not used to using one. There are lots of inclines and hills at WDW.

You could get her a chair and they have access in the buses for wheelchairs and at the parks lots of people leave their wheelchairs out. Or a knee walker which is easier to get around in.
I was going to suggest a chair too—maybe fiance can push? I would be hesitant to get an ecv for someone who isn’t used to driving one and will probably be in a lot of pain getting on and off—WDW is so crowded and hard to navigate. A lightweight wheelchair you can push around and collapse may be easier.

Or it may just be the case you just need to be prepared to cancel her family’s portion of the trip. Depending on your use year it may make sense to rebook her later, or just rent the reservation or blow the points on a splurge night in a bungalow for yourself if they would otherwise expire. Hate to say it, but I know it was my first time at WDW and I attempted it with a very recently broken leg, I’d be pretty miserable.

Pushing someone in a wheelchair is not as easy as it sounds. Walking on your own is tiring. This may sound rude but if you are going to consider a wheelchair over an ECV I would think about the weight of the person being pushed. It is much different than pushing a stroller with a kid. If they are a bigger adult it can be utterly exhausting since the hardest part of pushing a wheelchair is the initial push start which you do a lot of in lines and in heavy crowds. I say this with experience pushing my Dad around WDW. Unfortunately, he has vision issues along with mobility issues so he was unable to use an ECV. I would

Rent an ECV. She can roll onto small world. She can sit on the bench in the carousel. There are some rides that could be a problem just to get in, like Dumbo or Pirates. But with a little kid, you'll be OK.

BW is ideal because you can walk (or roll) to two of the parks.

My MIL's ankle swelled up bigger than I've ever seen an ankle swell after walking just one day at WDW (she had shattered it in the past). She had never driven an ECV, but they called and rented one from Walker Mobility, it was delivered to the resort FIL/MIL just had to meet them, and it saved the trip for her. She had no trouble learning how to use it and had no issues in the parks. She kept up with us--- or rather we had to keep up with her at some points. They plugged it in at night and it lasted all day. Departure day, Walker came back and picked it up.

I think your question is going to be how bad the break is and whether the doctor will okay her to travel and ride the rides. If she is okay to travel, she should be able to get through the trip with an ECV. MIL also used a cane to help her with transferring to rides and for the short distances from parking the ECV to rides and other things- at least until her ankle had improved a few days later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter