Broke my leg now what???

tlhunter

Earning My Ears
what a bummer, less than 20 days to our trip with our 2 and 4 DD's and I go and break my leg. I am in a short walking cast and am hoping to find the waterproof kind. Am I crazy to not cancel? We are staying at the AKL concierge. Will We still have fun?? Has any one had a similar experience??:( :( :(

All I can say is spend time at your local stores that carry the electric scooters and practice....
:D :D

If you are going to do the parks...the rent one of the scooters (offsite has better prices i hear) for your stay and use it....

Follow the link in my signature to the disABILITIES Board and you can find out all sorts of information to help keep your trip fun.

My dd has been to Disney with casts the past 2 years, ankle related. The first year she had a regular plaster cast on and the week before we went, we got her a removal cast (a walking boot). This way she could go in the pool and get cooled off, but she couldn't do more than that, no slides, etc..

Last year we just got her a removal cast from the start. (she is currently in a cast again, but this is an air cast that can be removed, but at least we don't go to Disney until October!).

She got around fine and didn't use any kind of wheelchair. I guess it all depends on the person and how uncomfortable you may be.

I know that there are products out there that may the cast waterproof. You slide it over your cast and then take all the air out and it makes a water tight seal. You may want to check with your doctor or do a search on the internet.

Enjoy your trip!

You're not crazy. DS broke his leg 3 days before we were to go last Feb. We had to delay for 10 days due to air pressure concerns, but he was in a plaster cast from toe to hip and we still went. He had to be in a wheelchair because his stupid cast weighed half as much as he did:rolleyes:, but there were lots of things he could still do. He had a good time, and this time we're keeping him bubble-wrapped until we get there.:jester:

Ciao,
Mort.

A couple questions, I am going to be alone with DD's (2&4) Is there A way to sit down in front of the lines and wait until it is your turn?? I just can't stand on it for a long time. I am just planning on taking it slow and enjoying things a little slower, which the girls will enjoy. What about seating at the parades. Do they have any chairs you can sit in?? Thanks for all your answers. I went to the disability site, but could not get the basic info. I feel pretty silly as there are people with some real disabilities and mine is from being clumsy.

If you're alone with the 2 girls, you might want to limit yourself to fastpass attractions, and rent a wheelchair. Since you're in a cast, no one will question the need, and you can use it for support while walking, and sit on it where you might otherwise have to stand.

There's more info here which might be useful:
http://wdwig.com/mobility.htm

Ciao,
Mort.

A couple questions, I am going to be alone with DD's (2&4). Is there A way to sit down in front of the lines and wait until it is your turn??
No. Almost none of the lines have any place where you can sit and wait. Getting fastpasses as Mort suggested, is probably your best bet. What some people do is get a folding stool cane combination to take in line with them since there is no place to sit. They are fairly small and the seat folds up into the cane when you don't need to use it. You can get those at sporting goods stores and it would not be a problem to bring one of those in line and in the ride cars (a lot of other people have done it). You could get a wheelchair, but most of the lines are Mainstream (wheelchair users wait in the same line as everyone else). Propelling a wheelchair while you sit in it would not be easy. It gets very tiring for people who are used to using a wheelchair because of the distances involved at WDW.
[/QUOTE]What about seating at the parades. Do they have any chairs you can sit in??[/QUOTE]
They don't have chairs. You might be able to find a bench, depending on where you sit, but the benches are not right up by the curb (or turned toward the WS lagoon at Epcot). One of our favorite places to sit at MK for parades is the porch in front of the building that Tony's Restaurant is in. There are rocking chairs on the porch that you can pull up to the railing. You do need to get there early (which might be a problem with kids of your girls ages). You might be able to get a Guest Assistance Card (GAC); you go to Guest Services to explain your needs to the CM and request one. It would be good at all the parks for your whole length of stay. The GAC is meant to give CMs information about needs for assistance that they can't see easily. If you got a GAC, you would probably be able to use the wheelchair entrances to rides, which would not usually shorten your wait, but would allow you to board at the exit where there is more time and space for boarding. You might need that with the cast and 2 little girls. If you have a wheelchair, you would not need a GAC, since the CMs will route you to the correct place.

You might want to think about how much assistance your 2 yr old will need and whether or not you will be able to do it by yourself (things like stepping up to the bus, getting on/off rides, bathroom). If youthink she will need more help than you can provide with your leg in a cast, some options would be to cancel, to bring someone along to help you, to mostly stay at the resort (I don't know how long your trip is), or possibly hire someone to help you (I've read where people have gotten a "Fairy Godmother" to come along some days to help). One place you might not think of spending much time is Epcot, but I know the Kidcot stations there are very popular with kids when you want to just take it easy and let the kids have kid fun.
I went to the disability site, but could not get the basic info. I feel pretty silly as there are people with some real disabilities and mine is from being clumsy.
Actually, we get a lot of people with temporary disabilities (even from being clumsy) ;) . If you have any specific questions though and you want to PM me, feel free to do that. Good luck on your trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter