• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bringing Food to the Parks

NorthshoreTigerFan

Mouseketeer
I need some help...We are spending a week at the 4 parks and want to only purchase one meal a day at the parks. Our plan is to eat a good breakfast at the condo (we are staying offsite in a condo with a full kitchen), bring food with us for one meal and buy the other meal at the park.

We already plan on bringing sandwiches, nuts, cheese sticks, granola and drinks. What are some alternatives so we have variety during the week? Is canned Chef Boyardee with peel top lids a good idea? Can we eat at any general eating area? Any favorite spots to have a "picnic?"

Thanks!

I need some help...We are spending a week at the 4 parks and want to only purchase one meal a day at the parks. Our plan is to eat a good breakfast at the condo (we are staying offsite in a condo with a full kitchen), bring food with us for one meal and buy the other meal at the park.

We already plan on bringing sandwiches, nuts, cheese sticks, granola and drinks. What are some alternatives so we have variety during the week? Is canned Chef Boyardee with peel top lids a good idea? Can we eat at any general eating area? Any favorite spots to have a "picnic?"

Thanks!
Canned Chef Boyardee is never a good idea, IMO! :crazy2: There's no place in the park to heat it up, so don't pack it unless you like eating it cold. :scared:

You could bring carrot sticks (or baby carrots) and little cups of ranch dip. Individual peanut butter or hummus cups with pretzels for dipping. I've even seen individual cups of olive tempanade and bruschetta sauce on Amazon.

Starkist sells envelopes of tuna salad and Bumble Bee has packets of canned tuna salad and crackers.

Tortillas and pita pockets pack easier than sandwich bread.

As far as eating in "general seating areas", well, that's depends on what you define as a "general seating area". Many QS areas will restrict access to tables during busy times, but then at other times you will be welcome to sit and enjoy your packed lunch without a problem. Use your discretion. Tom Sawyer Island has some picnic tables that offer a nice, out of the way place to eat without taking up space that paying customers would want to use. And of course, if you can find a shady bench somewhere, no one will stop you from eating while you sit there.

We always eat breakfast at the room, pack our lunch in and treat ourselves to TS for dinner. With that being said, I have never been turned away nor asked to leave when sitting down at any QS seating area both indoors and outside for the past 30+ years. We typically bring in PBJ sandwiches, canned chicken because I cannot stand tuna, fruit, and numerous other munchies such as nuts, crackers, goldfish, chips/pretzels, or whatever else the family members are craving for that day. Hope that helps!!

Good point with the Chef Boyardee...definitely not for the adults but my 3 kids probably prefer it cold over heated!

My wife wants to pack food in multiple backpacks to wear throughout the day. I'm trying to convince her to use the lockers. Can anyone with experience weigh in on if carrying backpacks all day long is a major hassle & pain or not?

Good point with the Chef Boyardee...definitely not for the adults but my 3 kids probably prefer it cold over heated!

My wife wants to pack food in multiple backpacks to wear throughout the day. I'm trying to convince her to use the lockers. Can anyone with experience weigh in on if carrying backpacks all day long is a major hassle & pain or not?
Do you want to tote something heavy on your back in 90°+, humid weather? Either stash a collapsible cooler in the bottom of a stroller or rent a locker to store it in. Backpacks are cumbersome when you have wear them in theme parks.

Thanks!
When are you traveling? If it is over Mardi Gras break, temperature shouldn't be a problem for potential food spoiling. I recommend lunchables, Hormel "rev wraps" (individual pre packaged wraps), fresh fruit, individual packaged nuts, crackers, etc...- we also bring in crystal light or koolaid drink packets. CS restaurants will give you a free water cup upon request. This cuts down on the weight of your bag with water bottles.

I think if it is not too hot, the backpacks are okay. In really hot weather, no.

- We eat breakfast in room/hotel/condo no matter where we stay.
- We like one table service per day but sometimes do a counter service.
- We like to pack a lunch. A sandwich on a good firm roll so not soggy, packets of mayo/mustard and put in plastic container.
- Freeze (if you can) water bottle that sits in backpack next to sandwiches and then we drink it.
- Backpacks to carry, only a few hours and not going to backtrack to lockers when hungry.
- Do not plan to sit in any seating areas designated as for an OPEN dining locations.
- MK: Some that are good or at CS that are seasonal spots: Tomorrrowland Terrace, Tortuga Tavern, lots of tables in Storybook Circus above water play area, tables along Speedway in Tomorrowland close to SM, Tom Sawyer Island.
- AK: tons of tables scattered in random places especially back side looking at tree, have never had issue sitting at tables by Flame Tree but we go to farthest section closest to Asia.
- DHS: Some of the tables at Backlot right next to Indiana Jones are separated off and never being used, tables by Monster Inc Meet & Greet (not ones on restaurant side), tables with umbrellas along Echo Lake across from H&V area.
- Epcot: There are benches everywhere, Area by African outpost has lots of seating with tables and umbrellas, Italy has had a bunch of wrought iron tables and chairs (no quick service there).

Lots of good ideas, very much appreciated. Yes going during Mardi Gras so the hot & humid weather won't be a problem...lugging around a bunch of backpacks will, well may be a different discussion! lol Especially when after we eat I will most probably be stuck with carrying my backpack filled with everyone else's empty backpack ;)

Didn't think about a stroller. We won't need one for the kids, but may not be a bad idea for our insulated cooler tote bad thingy. Already planned on bringing water flavor squirt packs. Hopper, thank you VERY much for the run down of seating areas in the parks.

We do a lot of picnicking so I have a fairly decent go to list so we can change things up. As for water everyone wears a Camelback. Even DD will get one now and she's 6. She'll be expected to carry her own. We fill them with ice and then filtered water. We found that one was just not enough for all three of us at the parks. It was super convenient to stop and refill our water bottles wherever we happened to be. No stroller here.

My suggestion is that if after lunch no one wants to carry their backpack then I'd rent a locker to stash them in. Just make sure that your backpack is comfortable.

Anyway, here's my go to lunch on the go list:

crackers, cheese, pepperoni/lunch meat
fruit (grapes, berries, banana, pineapple, strawberries, watermelon, cantaloupe, oranges,)
apple sauce
yogurt
veggie wraps
veggies and dip (ranch, caesar, hummus)
grape tomatoes, cucumber, baby carrots, celery, broccoli, bell pepper, snap peas,
pizza wrap: cheese, pepperoni w/ sauce to dip
pasta salad
egg salad
tuna salad
mini subs
chicken salad
macaroni salad (ranch and bacon!)
broccoli salad
apples and peanut butter
olives
cheese
nuts (almonds, peanuts)
cheesesticks
frozen juice boxes/bags
raisins and craisins
mini bagels
chips
pretzels
salsa and Scoops
goldfish fishy crackers
grilled chicken and sauce
couscous salad
animal cookies
graham crackers
cottage cheese
Silver dollar pancakes (or use Mickey cutter to make Mickey ones!)
homemade gummy bears/ fruit roll ups
roasted pumpkin seeds
sunflower seeds
jello/pudding
Pepperoni lunchable w/ sandwich round, pepperoni, cheese, sauce
marinated mushrooms
hard boiled eggs
peanut butter crackers
hummus
salsa
salsa/cream cheese rolls

Didn't think of bringing a Camelback, we have a few that we could bring. Thanks for the idea!

Awesome menu! Very much appreciated! For some of them we would have to have an insulated bag to keep them cool, but I'm thinking one of the kids' insulated lunch box with a frozen water or juice would do the trick.

How much food is she planning to bring that you will need multiple backpacks??? Remember, cups of ice water are free at Quick Service restaurants that serve fountain drinks, so you don't need to carry water/beverages all day (and those are heavy). I personally wouldn't want to carry a backpack of food around all day, but it will get lighter as the day goes on, I suppose. Lockers are located at the front of the park, right by the entrance, so they aren't really all that convenient.

How much food is she planning to bring that you will need multiple backpacks??? Remember, cups of ice water are free at Quick Service restaurants that serve fountain drinks, so you don't need to carry water/beverages all day (and those are heavy). I personally wouldn't want to carry a backpack of food around all day, but it will get lighter as the day goes on, I suppose. Lockers are located at the front of the park, right by the entrance, so they aren't really all that convenient.

DW wants each person to carry his/her food, poncho and whatever he/she wants to bring or lug around. If we are bringing lunch, then the backpacks will lighten up mid day. Then everyone can then carry a mostly empty backpack or we can rent a locker to stuff them all into.

We carried a backpack and will the next time. It was big and hot, but we took turns carrying it, so not too bad. Now the kids are older we plan to lighten up but with some medical needs we will still have to carry (and have to have it with us for the medical needs so no locker)
I imagine your wife doesn't want to carry everything and that is why she wants so many bags.
When the kids were younger, we carried two waterbottles, one for them, one for us and refilled at restaurants. We carried small snacks and peanut butter halves or small things. Meals were large for them so we saved more splitting meals than buying special things. Now they are older so we will probably get more free water and carry snacks and sandwiches that can take the heat.
I plan for the pack to have sunscreen, tiny ponchos, quarter and pennies and autograph book, and the medical supplies and snacks.

A TR talked about these Go Picnic boxes that are handy shelf-stable lunches -- things like crackers with asiago cheese spread and salami, fruit and nut mix, and a dessert option. Might be something to consider as an alternative.

We always eat breakfast at the room, pack our lunch in and treat ourselves to TS for dinner. With that being said, I have never been turned away nor asked to leave when sitting down at any QS seating area both indoors and outside for the past 30+ years. We typically bring in PBJ sandwiches, canned chicken because I cannot stand tuna, fruit, and numerous other munchies such as nuts, crackers, goldfish, chips/pretzels, or whatever else the family members are craving for that day. Hope that helps!!

When we've tried to eat our sandwiches OUTside QS spots, the cast members have encouraged us to come in :)

We like Subway sandwiches & for snacks German style Sommer Sausage (with or without venison) & cheese. And we DEFINITELY prefer to use lockers!

I have found that if I eat breakfast, I mostly just want to snack through out the day when hungry, rather than doing a sit down lunch. It seems to keep my energy up better that way. My personal favorites are the cheese and cracker packages ( aka Kraft handi packs) unsalted almonds, breakfast or energy bars, a trail mix with raisins, carrot sticks and clementine cuties. Nothing that needs temperature controls. I also take something chocolate but not too easily melted ( like M&Ms) for my sweet tooth. I use to take drinks but I ended giving away more than I drank. I found that at Disney I wanted water more than soda anyway. Water is easy to get and heavy to carry, so I normally just take a powdered drink mix to add when on occasion I want something other than water.

We just bring one back pack. Honestly, it would be such a pain for everyone in your family to lug around back packs all day. Pack simple lunches like yogurts with fruit & granola, sandwiches, wraps, crusty bread with cheese, etc. We do bring filtered water bottles to fill up at the QS locations as the water in Disney World is disgusting lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter