Borrowing points

luvlivn

Earning My Ears
I am new to DVC, will be able to book our first DVC trip probably next week..

I have a question.. I have 200 points , Sept UY.. We are thinking of booking a week at the end of Aug., into first week of Sept. I realize for those first few days in Aug., I will be borrowing points..but..

What if my trip plans go over the 200 points? Can I borrow from Sept 2012 UY for Sept 2011 points shortage? am trying to keep this simple, am trying to have a good understanding before I have to make decisions while on phone making reservations..

Thanks to all who help us 'babies', look forward to returning the favor..

:flower3:

Good Morning

the way I understand borrowing is that you essentially have up to three years worth of points if needed (and done correctly).

For example, I have a June use year. I can use my 2010 points for a stay that starts the end of May 2011. If the stay crosses over into June 2011 I can use my 2011 points. If I run short then I should be able to book the points with the 2012 points for the time after June 2011.

The only thing to be careful is too watch the amount of points towards the end of the use year. Points have to be banked that are not used by the 8th month (Jan for me). Any points no banked by the 8th month can be used up to the end of the use year but not eligible for banking. Be careful if plans change

Hope that helps

Welcome to DVC

With a September UY, your trip in August/September 2011 will take place in both your September 2010 UY and your September 2011 UY.

What I am unclear about is what points you currently have as you may not be in a borrowing situation at all.

If you have used up your 2010 UY points, then yes, you would have to borrow some 2011 points for the August days, and then borrow 2012 points to finish the September days if it is more than 200 points.

However, if you still have your 2010 UY points (the ones that became current September 1st, 2010), then there would be no need to borrow for the August days as they still fall are in your 2010 UY and thus, can be "paid" for with 2010 UY points. Now, in order to use any of those 2010 UYpoints for the September days, you would have to bank them as they expire August 31st, 2011.

The easiest way for me to remember what I can and can not use is to first figure out the UY the travel will happen. Then I know that I can "pay" for it with banked points from the prior UY, current UY, and borrow from the next UY.

It is all about what UY (not calendar year) that you are traveling that determines what you need to do.

With a September UY, most of it actually falls in the next calendar year so it can be a little tricky to understand at first.

Hope this helps.

Thanks very much for the responses...much appreciated !! crossing all fingers to have some luck i the booking process :)

For August 2011 portion you can use points in your 2010 use year.
For the September 2011 portion:
you can use banked 2010 points
current 2011 points
borrowed 2012 points

Note that if you want to use banked 2010 points they need to be banked by the end of April--since you're making the reservations next week, not a huge issue.

emacek

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter