Booking when dates first released

kmronnie3

Mouseketeer
I have heard that you can really save money if you book your trip the first day they announce the new bookings. I am looking for a cruise in jan 2015 and was wondering if I would really save money doing it right away versus waiting a couple months later when the kids school schedule is announced.

I am also looking to book a cruise for Jan 2015 so would be interested in hearing any answers.

What ship are you booking? We are booking on The Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 7 night cruise. So excited. I just want to book now, so I know we're locked in.

January is off peak for DCL. I think waiting a few weeks for a school schedule would be fine. I wouldn't wait a few months though. JMHO.

I am also looking to book a cruise for Jan 2015 so would be interested in hearing any answers. What ship are you booking? We are booking on The Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 7 night cruise. So excited. I just want to book now, so I know we're locked in.

We are looking at doing the 7 day western on the Magic. We just got back from the Eastern 2 weeks ago on the fantasy and loved it.

I agree with PP. Do your best guess and book right away and then move if necesary a few weeks later. Since you will only be putting down the deposit when you book you wouldn't lose anything by moving it!

Am I wrong in thinking that once you book on a day you lock in rates for anything that may be released that day? I may be way off base on that but I thought I remembered reading that somewhere.

Pretty sure if you move, you get the price from when you move. :-/
Have you tried calling the school district to get the info early? We have done that before - told them we were bidding on dh vacation weeks. They gave "tentative" dates, said they were still being discussed and couldnt guarantee, but they always end up being right on. Worth a try?

Yep, I always take an educated guess and then move the date if needed. Since I pretty much know how the school thinks (been guessing their moves for 8 years now) I usually get it right. But if I'm wrong moving is not too difficult and usually prices don't jump much in the off-season.

I agree with PP. Do your best guess and book right away and then move if necesary a few weeks later. Since you will only be putting down the deposit when you book you wouldn't lose anything by moving it!

Am I wrong in thinking that once you book on a day you lock in rates for anything that may be released that day? I may be way off base on that but I thought I remembered reading that somewhere.

I think that the prices are locked in for the the cruise you book so that if you want to change categories you will get the rate from your original booking date, but if you change to a different cruise then it is the current rate that you pay.

I have heard that you can really save money if you book your trip the first day they announce the new bookings. I am looking for a cruise in jan 2015 and was wondering if I would really save money doing it right away versus waiting a couple months later when the kids school schedule is announced.

I am also waiting to book for 2015, Jan. or Feb. Have my eye on the fantasy Eastern Caribbean. We sailed on the Disney classic ship years ago and loved it. My children are grown, married so, we are a party of 6 adults. I took a RCCL , mega ship 2 years ago in Nov. and the ship was very crowded..people everywhere. Now, I am wondering if we are making a mistake booking the Fantasy, another Mega ship. We will be travelling during the school year and we have no children, so we are hoping the adult pool will be less crowded. My only criteria is a 7 night which includes a day at Castaway cay. :confused3

Pretty sure if you move, you get the price from when you move. :-/Have you tried calling the school district to get the info early? We have done that before - told them we were bidding on dh vacation weeks. They gave "tentative" dates, said they were still being discussed and couldnt guarantee, but they always end up being right on. Worth a try?

You "lock in" prices for the original cruise which means you can change categories after you have booked and will pay the same as the day you booked BUT if you change dates, you do not get opening day prices.

you could always book 2 consecutive weeks and then cancel one if you know a general time period but not exact dates.

Thread hijack question:

Can I move a reservation (that I booked onboard) for a 2014 cruise to a January 2015 cruise when they first are released? I know I can, but do I get the same perks from my onboard booking?

Thanks!!!

Thread hijack question:

Can I move a reservation (that I booked onboard) for a 2014 cruise to a January 2015 cruise when they first are released? I know I can, but do I get the same perks from my onboard booking?

Thanks!!!

Yes.

If you are fairly certain you will be taking the cruise, I think I would book opening day anyways. That way, once you know the school schedule, either you keep the cruise you booked and you are golden, or you change to a different cruise where the dates work better.
If you have to change to a different cruise, even if you have to pay slightly higher rates you are no worse off than you would have been if you had waited for the schedule to book anything.

How do you know when opening day is? Is there a newsletter to sign up for or do you just keep checking?

Can first time cruisers book on Open Day or is it only for previous cruisers?

Platinum and Gold cruisers usually get to book first day, then Silver and everyone else on day two. At this point it's one of the only real perks left for Gold and Platinum cruisers.

Sent from my Tricorder using DISBoards

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter