Booking through Orbitz…what will I be missing?

blessedby3

Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my userna
I have booked a 2 night stay a few years ago through Orbitz and it was short and so I didn't have any hesitation about booking. I am looking at booking a trip and it is cheaper through Orbitz so just wanted to know who has done it before and what should I know? Thanks

I haven't done it, but I know that:
1) If you need to modify, you need to talk to Orbitz. Disney can't change anything for you.
2) You can still use MDX. If you don't get your Disney reservation number from Orbitz, you can get it from Disney 24 hours after you book.
3) You can use DME, but you book it yourself online and need your Disney reservation number. www.disneymagicalexpress.com/USA

Thanks for the info. We aren't getting the dining plan so that is ok. Does anyone know if they charge a cancellation fee? They didn't when I booked a couple of years ago, but Im trying to find that on the website now.

I booked through Orbitz my last trip. Actually I rebooked twice, I believe to save more money. You get an Orbitz booking number and a hotel booking number and it can still be linked to your Disney Experience account. I was able to put in a room request. I think I called the hotel about a week or 2 before my reservation to put in the request, just use the hotel booking number. I was able to use the discount Disney was offering plus an Orbitz promo code. Hoping to do the same for my next trip this summer!

Thanks for the info. We aren't getting the dining plan so that is ok. Does anyone know if they charge a cancellation fee? They didn't when I booked a couple of years ago, but Im trying to find that on the website now.

No cancellation fee within a certain time, check your reservation confirmation for details.
I cancelled and rebooked my trip for better deals a couple of times without any problems at all.

They don't technically have a cancellation fee but if you read the fine print when you book, most WDW resorts do have a $25 cancellation fee when booking through Orbitz. They didn't used to. Other than that, there is no real disadvantage. I booked a split stay this March through them, stacking the WDW general discount with the Orbitz discount, booking the most expensive longer stay first then using Orbitz bucks received on the shorter less expensive part of the trip. Doing it this way saved me about $500 from what using my AP discount would have. I just emailed Orbitz after I booked it for them to get me the Disney confirmation #, they emailed be back about 2 days later with it so I could plug it into MDE. You do have to go into your profile on MDE after you have linked your resort confirmation to change the address listed for MBs. It will show Orbitz's address. It's easy enough to do and yes, if you do a split stay you have to do it for both reservations.

They don't technically have a cancellation fee but if you read the fine print when you book, most WDW resorts do have a $25 cancellation fee when booking through Orbitz. They didn't used to. Other than that, there is no real disadvantage. I booked a split stay this March through them, stacking the WDW general discount with the Orbitz discount, booking the most expensive longer stay first then using Orbitz bucks received on the shorter less expensive part of the trip. Doing it this way saved me about $500 from what using my AP discount would have. I just emailed Orbitz after I booked it for them to get me the Disney confirmation #, they emailed be back about 2 days later with it so I could plug it into MDE. You do have to go into your profile on MDE after you have linked your resort confirmation to change the address listed for MBs. It will show Orbitz's address. It's easy enough to do and yes, if you do a split stay you have to do it for both reservations.

What are orbitz bucks? I was looking at booking 5 nights at the CR and then 3 at the GF. Would love to have more of a discount but haven't heard of orbitz bucks.

All you need to do is create an account. Every time you book something you earn bucks. You can then turn around and apply those bucks to another trip. Orbitz will automatically apply them or you can tell them not to.

All you need to do is create an account. Every time you book something you earn bucks. You can then turn around and apply those bucks to another trip. Orbitz will automatically apply them or you can tell them not to.
So it is actual dollars off of your next trip? That sounds awesome :)

Booking thru Orbitz? Never had an issue.

Just have to remember to use the coupon code to get the extra discount. There is a $25 fee to change. You have to email or call to get your disney ressie number. If you join Orbitz they offer Orbitz bucks for booking. Plus you get another discount if you book through another site. (For example Ebates gives you a small amount back after your trip.)

Use orbitz only for room only discounts.
Not all rooms are available. Disney releases what they want. Usually 4-6 months out. So no long term planning.

Yep Orbitz rewards money is dollars off the next trip you book with Orbitz! My favorite part was I could immediately apply it to my next reservation even though I hadn't completed the stay yet!

I booked my WDW through Orbitz and felt like I didn't miss a thing (no interest in dining plan) but there were a couple minor issues. I had to get the reservation number out of Orbitz to put into MDE via online chat with Orbitz, simple enough. I did have a little trouble getting my room requests in as I had to have Orbitz call Disney and couldn't make them with Disney myself. I found online chat to be the easiest way to do that as well. I made the mistake of calling Disney for a room request and the rep did their best to tell me I was making a horrible mistake and should just re-book with her to get all my requests in. Baloney Sandwich as the say! Called Orbitz and they put in my room requests. OH- I don't know if this is still a thing but the address for shipping magic bands was defaulted to Orbitz Chicago office or something and I had to go into MDE and fix that.

I would book with Orbitz again in a heartbeat if the math was better over what Disney was offering me.

Yep Orbitz rewards money is dollars off the next trip you book with Orbitz! My favorite part was I could immediately apply it to my next reservation even though I hadn't completed the stay yet!

I booked my WDW through Orbitz and felt like I didn't miss a thing (no interest in dining plan) but there were a couple minor issues. I had to get the reservation number out of Orbitz to put into MDE via online chat with Orbitz, simple enough. I did have a little trouble getting my room requests in as I had to have Orbitz call Disney and couldn't make them with Disney myself. I found online chat to be the easiest way to do that as well. I made the mistake of calling Disney for a room request and the rep did their best to tell me I was making a horrible mistake and should just re-book with her to get all my requests in. Baloney Sandwich as the say! Called Orbitz and they put in my room requests. OH- I don't know if this is still a thing but the address for shipping magic bands was defaulted to Orbitz Chicago office or something and I had to go into MDE and fix that.

I would book with Orbitz again in a heartbeat if the math was better over what Disney was offering me.
This was my experience too. Any time I had to contact Orbitz, I used their online chat because their phone rep's English was just that bad.
Also if you enter children (or more than 2 people) on the Orbitz search, it will automatically charge extra even though Disney doesn't. So the only way around that is to book 2 adults, then contact them through the chat line to add the kids. I do this while Disney phone lines are open and tell the Orbitz chat rep that Disney doesn't charge extra for kids under 18 and offer them to call Disney and verify. I have done this at least 2 or 3 times with no problem. Once, they misspelled one of the kids names and they must be an exact match for MDX so I had them change it. Be sure to book use the names exactly as listed in MDX. If you interchange between Robert & Bob, Patricia & Patti, Elizabeth & Liz, etc. it won't work.
I would use them again in a heartbeat. 15% is a good discount.

Thanks so much for all the help. I think I'm gonna book through them. The only thing I don't like is having to pay all at once instead of a deposit with Disney.

This was my experience too. Any time I had to contact Orbitz, I used their online chat because their phone rep's English was just that bad.
Also if you enter children (or more than 2 people) on the Orbitz search, it will automatically charge extra even though Disney doesn't. So the only way around that is to book 2 adults, then contact them through the chat line to add the kids. I do this while Disney phone lines are open and tell the Orbitz chat rep that Disney doesn't charge extra for kids under 18 and offer them to call Disney and verify. I have done this at least 2 or 3 times with no problem. Once, they misspelled one of the kids names and they must be an exact match for MDX so I had them change it. Be sure to book use the names exactly as listed in MDX. If you interchange between Robert & Bob, Patricia & Patti, Elizabeth & Liz, etc. it won't work.
I would use them again in a heartbeat. 15% is a good discount.

DD is 19. So would I book 3 adults with Orbitz and then do the online chat to add my ds12? Or leave them both off and add them later? I'm uncertain, but I think Disney would charge extra for another adult wouldn't they? In which case I would put her on the original reservation with Orbitz.

I have one over 18 and one under 18 and in an infant under 2. I am wondering this as well.

DD is 19. So would I book 3 adults with Orbitz and then do the online chat to add my ds12? Or leave them both off and add them later? I'm uncertain, but I think Disney would charge extra for another adult wouldn't they? In which case I would put her on the original reservation with Orbitz.

Disney does charge extra, IIRC $25 pp for each adult after the first two. I would compare prices on Disney's website: 2 adults vs. 3 adults to see how much extra they truly charge. Then do the same search on Orbitz and see if the 3rd adult surcharge is equal or not. If Orbitz charges more, I would wait and add them on at the time of the chat if possible. I'm not really sure if the agents are able to make price changes too. I guess it can't hurt to ask. JMHO, but I think if the difference in prices was like $5 between 3 adults on Disney vs. 3 adults on Orbitz, I probably would let it go and just focus on adding any children. I have had Orbitz chat agents tell me I need to modify and add the child but I simply explain that Orbitz charges me extra then when I know for a fact that Disney does NOT. They make a feeble attempt to say that all hotels charge for >2 guests but I have found that to be untrue except hotels on the strip in Vegas and who really needs to bring kids there. lol.

As for adding an infant, I believe they still must be on the reservation for legal occupancy purposes but the big difference there is that an infant doesn't need a ticket. So unless you're buying tickets from Orbitz, it's a moot point. Simply add as another child and there shouldn't be any extra charge for doing so. I don't recall if Orbitz lets you make requests (we rarely have any) but I would try to request a crib.

Keep in mind that booking through Orbitz means they are now your travel agent. Anything you change must be through them. Since Disney pays a commission to all TAs, they generally do not want to:
1. step on a TAs toes so to speak or
2. perform the duties that a TA is being paid to do.
So calling Disney directly will usually leave you disappointed. Just something to keep in mind. This can be very frustrating when people book flights through 3rd party sites such as Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, etc. If you're at MCO and find that your flight home was cancelled due to bad weather back home, instead of having the airline help you, the travel agent has to help. At least this is what I have read anyway. That would drive me bonkers.
I do know with DCL, if a TA is involved, everything goes through the TA. I don't even try to contact DCL directly.

If Orbitz has no way of letting you request a crib, then I would contact Disney probably a week in advance and make sure it's noted on your reservation.

hth :goodvibes

Last edited:
Thanks for the helpful post! Lots of good info in it for me :)

Orbitz no longer charges extra for kids at least it didn't for my family with three kids. There was no difference b/w adding just one kid and three kids. Additionally, there is free cancellation for some of the resorts, at least at the ASMusic, there is no $25 cancellation fee. I did not get a Disney confirmation number when I booked but after I sent an email inquiry, Orbitz replied within 24 hours with the number. With the additional 15% off code coupled with the current disney discount, even the $25 cancellation fee should not be a deal breaker.

Orbitz no longer charges extra for kids at least it didn't for my family with three kids. There was no difference b/w adding just one kid and three kids. Additionally, there is free cancellation for some of the resorts, at least at the ASMusic, there is no $25 cancellation fee. I did not get a Disney confirmation number when I booked but after I sent an email inquiry, Orbitz replied within 24 hours with the number. With the additional 15% off code coupled with the current disney discount, even the $25 cancellation fee should not be a deal breaker.

I agree. Both the resorts I booked for my March split stay trip have the $25 cancellation fee but I just factored that into the cost and still came out more than $500 less than I would have paid going through Disney as BW was not even available through them. I'm known for canceling reservations more than once in a trip if I find a better price and since I know that about myself, I just went ahead and figured that in the cost. As far as making room requests, I don't make any that aren't on MDE like high floor or a certain building so I can't address that but those options are available on on line check in. Frankly, I normally just request early check in since we drive down and are normally there by 2. Yes, they still have the Chicago address for the MBs in MDE so you do have to go in and change it, if you are doing a split stay you need to change it twice. I always go in one more time before I press the button to get my MBs and check to make sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter