• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

BOG or Ohana for breakfast?

MagicMom of 2

Earning My Ears
I have read reviews that say breakfast is not worth it at BOG. We have 9:10am reservation and a 11:10am at Ohana's the same day. I'm torn as we have not eaten at either of these restaurants and I hear that Beast's castle is amazing. I'm guessing it would take an act of God to get another reservation that same day!! BTW - my kids are 15 and 12.

Thoughts? Opinions? Experiences?

Thank you!

A 9:10 at BOG is the worst of all possible worlds: A meh breakfast during some of the best time all day to get stuff done at the park. If you were to keep it, I would go in, order a coffee, look around at the castle, then leave.

An 11:10 at Ohana has its own issues. You'll want to be on the ferry or monorail to get there no later than 10:40, which also limits how much you get down from rope drop onward.

I would:

1. Keep looking for either PPO BOG or Ohana

2. If stuck with the current options, I would probably keep BOG with the assumption I would NOT order a full breakfast, just a coffee and dash order.

Well, first you're going to be going straight from BoG to Ohana with that schedule. I think you need to cancel at least one of them. IMHO I would cancel both. As Aurora says, if you are in MK at rope drop you don't want to go to breakfast. And 11:10 is also too early to leave for Ohana breakfast. If you can't get an ADR for lunch in MK or later at one of the resorts (1:30) I would cancel and just grab something.

Bruce

My goal would be a breakfast at either one BEFORE the park opens or a lunch at BOG.

Mornings at the MK are the most valuable time and I wouldn't spend a minute of it eating - and I have an AP!

Sorry to hack the post, but what's special about breakfast at 'Ohana, other than the characters? I saw the menu and it looks like regular breakfast food. We had dinner there and it was really good, but the breakfast menu doesn't look like anything special. What am I missing?

Sorry to hack the post, but what's special about breakfast at 'Ohana, other than the characters? I saw the menu and it looks like regular breakfast food. We had dinner there and it was really good, but the breakfast menu doesn't look like anything special. What am I missing?
Most character breakfasts are "regular breakfast food." Advantage of Ohana over several other character breakfast options is that it is served family-style. If you have littles, family-style is da bomb.

Character options are good, as Stitch and Lilo don't appear together elsewhere.

Most character breakfasts are "regular breakfast food." Advantage of Ohana over several other character breakfast options is that it is served family-style. If you have littles, family-style is da bomb.

Character options are good, as Stitch and Lilo don't appear together elsewhere.

Thank you, we did breakfast at Kona Cafe' and we had the Tonga Toast, so I was hoping maybe 'Ohana had some special food like the bread pudding they have for dinner. We're not into characters meals, so I guess it would not be that important to us to find a breakfast reservation. Thank you for clarifying!

Thank you, we did breakfast at Kona Cafe' and we had the Tonga Toast, so I was hoping maybe 'Ohana had some special food like the bread pudding they have for dinner. We're not into characters meals, so I guess it would not be that important to us to find a breakfast reservation. Thank you for clarifying!

They have a good sweet bread and nice juice ........... other than that quite common. Our experience was forever to be seated, forever to get food, slow service, forever for characters to the point we just left without them all. It's great to be waited on if you have lots of time I suppose. But I would never pay that much to eat at a character meal if you don't like the characters, you pay prime for that, food usually comes second.

Love the question - would like to know
A 9:10 at BOG is the worst of all possible worlds: A meh breakfast during some of the best time all day to get stuff done at the park. If you were to keep it, I would go in, order a coffee, look around at the castle, then leave.

An 11:10 at Ohana has its own issues. You'll want to be on the ferry or monorail to get there no later than 10:40, which also limits how much you get down from rope drop onward.

I would:

1. Keep looking for either PPO BOG or Ohana

2. If stuck with the current options, I would probably keep BOG with the assumption I would NOT order a full breakfast, just a coffee and dash order.
Thank you for the reply and the transportation challenges. I will figure this out!

My goal would be a breakfast at either one BEFORE the park opens or a lunch at BOG. Thank you

Mornings at the MK are the most valuable time and I wouldn't spend a minute of it eating - and I have an AP!
Agreed - I need to try for better MK ADRs!

Never understood why BOG gets so many negative comments. Have never been there for lunch or dinner, so can't speak to that. But we've had breakfast at BOG several times and love it. I think part of it that most people sit in the main dining area, which is basically a cafeteria. I suggest sitting in the smaller West Wing dining room, very cool.

Never understood why BOG gets so many negative comments. Have never been there for lunch or dinner, so can't speak to that. But we've had breakfast at BOG several times and love it. I think part of it that most people sit in the main dining area, which is basically a cafeteria. I suggest sitting in the smaller West Wing dining room, very cool.
Thank you for the input! Think we will keep this reservation - it's at MK, we have free dining and it's CS, not TS.

BOG is mostly worth it as PPO.

9:10 cuts into the best hours of the day in park.

We all have our preferences. Over the years, we almost never get to MK (or any park) before 9:30 or 10:00. Prefer to stay late instead, especially EMH.

My DH and I thought that BOG breakfast was terrible. He ordered a sandwich, and the eggs were cold. I just had some of the pastries, and they were absolutely not special at all. The quality was comparable to what I could get at a local grocery store that isn't known for their bakery. It was so overpriced.

For reference, I will mention that we think that the lunch at BOG is very good and not overpriced. I like the french onion soup, and my DH loves the braised pork. How about shooting for an early lunch at BOG instead?

I can tell you exactly why.
1) the cost. if you are paying cash for the same price you can have the wonderful, lucious, varied breakfast at Boma. When you compare it that way even Disney to Disney it is WAY overpriced.
2) the quality control. Because it is quasi table service and they prep the food in the back and bring it out (rather than serving it right as it is cooked to waiting patrons like at other qs options) it sometimes sits out for a while before brought to the table. eggs get cold fast and are particularly revolting when they get cold. So if you are lucky enough to get a fresh one, I am sure it is quite tasty (looks good in the photos). But if you get a cold one, or an overcooked poached egg... you just paid $24 for slop.

BTW 'Ohana suffers from that a bit too because they bring the food out not necessarily to order but as it comes out. But the only difference is that 'Ohana is aycte with a dedicated server and I'd send the thing back and ask for a fresh one if it was gross. It has never been for me but there have been the occasional reports that it is.

Also unless you are staying at the resort and go PPO, I consider most resort character breakfasts to be "rest day" activities. I will take the time to do them in the park but if you add travel to it it really kills the whole morning.

1) the cost. if you are paying cash for the same price you can have the wonderful, lucious, varied breakfast at Boma. When you compare it that way even Disney to Disney it is WAY overpriced.

I will add to this that while it is also cited as a good use of a QS dining credit on DDP, that's based on dollar value of meal. In terms of food quantity value delivered, that's a more debatable use. While a breakfast platter at the average resort QS costs less, it tends to be served hot (as Lisa F discusses) and has a lot more THERE, there.

BOG has a Gaston Platter, but I'm pretty sure Gaston would rather have several QS breakfast platters. There's more protein. And he was big on protein...

I've been to both for breakfast. Both were nice. BOH reminded me of a cafeteria...very busy and rushed, tons of people trying to get drinks. O'hana was more relaxed and we enjoyed the food and characters. I'd say go to Ohana for breakfast and try to get a dinner at BOG.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter