Boat Loads of fun at Old Key West Part 1

DisneyDreamer26

Earning My Ears
Well, I am a month out from my last Disney vacation and I'm finally having time to sit down and write about it. My husband, 15-month old, and I recently traveled to Disney with our best friends for a week log stay at Ole Key West. There were 6 in our traveling party, 4 adults, and 2 children ages 2 1/2 and 14 months (at the time we went. She is 15 months now). Let me give you a bit of backstory. My husband and I are DVC members since 2012 and have a core group of friends who are just as obsessed with Disney World as we are. We all go all the time, but have never traveled together to the most Magical place on earth. This was the first time we could go together. We are all really go with the flow people and our kiddos travel really well. Now on with the show.

We arrived Sunday, February, 7 to bright skis but cold winds. Magical Express was magical as usual and we checked in with no trouble at Old Key West. And as usual the magic started immediately as the cast member who checked us in gave each of the kids small rubber ducks wearing swim suits and sun glasses. Our rooms were not ready yet so we stowed our carry-on bags at bell services and caught a boat over to Disney Springs. The breakfast we had eaten on the way to the Memphis airport was more than gone so our first order of business was to seek FOOD! We made a great choice in Wolfgang Puck Express. We were on the Disney Dining Plan so this counted as a quick service meal. For someone who gets the meal plan every time, this is a hidden gem that most people don't think about. I got a whole pizza and a huge piece of carrot cake! For a quick service meal, it's awesome! Daniel and Kelly (our friends) had never eaten there and they loved it as well. Both of the husbands got the meatloaf sandwich with homemade chips and Kelly got the mac & cheese. The other dessert that we got was the key lime pie. Everything was great.

After eating our rooms were ready so we boated back over to the resort, and got directions to our room. Both of the kids had fallen asleep in their strollers so we walked, all the way to Turtle Pond, which was a pretty good hike. My husband rode the golf cart over with our bags. We arrived at the same time he did, so ha ha lazy butt, you really didn't save any time. We were happy to find that the bus stop was very close, but then realized we're on the 3rd floor. Old Key West, being the oldest DVC resort is special in that most of the buildings do not have elevators. We did not like the idea of hauling two kids and strollers up the stairs, but we had no choice. Once we got in to our 2 bedroom villa, all our worries melted away because this was home for the next week, and what a home it was. The rooms were huge and the kids immediately began to chase each other around the large living area. This would be the norm for the rest of the trip. The room was their Magic Kingdom.

We unpacked and attempted to get the little ones down, but to no avail. We finally headed by bus over to Disney Springs where we then walked to Saratoga Springs for dinner. Now, Saratoga Springs is our home resort and we have stayed there many times but have never eaten at the Turf Club. Two words: Big Mistake. Daniel, Kelly, and I got the New York Strip and my husband got the prime rib. Ya'll that was the best steak I have ever eaten! Cooked perfectly and the mashed potatoes that went with it were great. I ordered a side for my little girl and she ate them right up. Our favorite part, believe it or not, was the hot rolls and butter. They put a pink sea salt on the butter that just made it SOO GOOD!! I was really surprised when the bill came and the did not charge me for the side my little got. Both of the kids are too young to need the dining plan, so maybe this is a thing that I didn't know about but they did the same thing at Sci Fi Dine In a few nights later. Really impressed with that. Way to go Disney on that little feature!

We then bused over to Magic Kingdom and used our Fast Pass for Wishes. I have never liked the idea of the fast pass for the fireworks, so this was the first time to use it at the request of my friends. We usually watch them from the Big Top Treats tent in Fantasy Land. I have to say, it's worth. To be able to see the castle show and the fireworks above it made for a Magical start to our trip.

So that was Day 1. I feel like I am being way too detailed so I will post this and get some feedback before I continue. Please let me know if a brief overview would be better. Other days may not be as detailed as this. Thanks for reading.

Thanks for the review! Can't wait to read the rest! I love detail so I will not be sad if it is detailed! I have been wanting to try the turf club! We stayed at SSR a few years ago and didn't eat there, but as you did we are staying at OKW in May and I'm thinking Turf Club now after your review!!! My DH wants a good steak, so we booked Le Cellier since its his favorite, but we have to pay OOP because we have the regular dining plan and its 2 credits. Do you think the steak is as good as Le Cellier?

We love OKW as well. The rubber Ducky's are a nice touch. Our girls used them every night in the tub :) Can't wait to read more

Thanks for sharing. I would love to read about the rest of you trip in the same detailed manner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter