BLT - Top of the World Lounge

The problem is that they know that the place is destined to close and the CM's are stuck there until it does. The best CM's work where the money and tips are, not at TOTWL. Management doesn't even take the time or effort to improve the place.

:earsboy: Bill

That is not the problem with poor service Bill. I believe that complaint has been going on for 4+ years and yet it's still open. That's an awfully long time to be stuck waiting for a change and doing little about making it better. The service has been that way from the first time I visited which was approx 5 months after BLT opened. It goes back to an old saying - if you're going to do a job then do it well. If the CM's are coasting as you suggest then they really shouldn't expect nor be given a job elsewhere if the lounge does close.

That is not the problem with poor service Bill. I believe that complaint has been going on for 4+ years and yet it's still open. That's an awfully long time to be stuck waiting for a change and doing little about making it better. The service has been that way from the first time I visited which was approx 5 months after BLT opened. It goes back to an old saying - if you're going to do a job then do it well. If the CM's are coasting as you suggest then they really shouldn't expect nor be given a job elsewhere if the lounge does close.

Until DVD sold BLT out, TOTWL was to stay open as part of the window dressing. After selling out in order to meet the food drink sales minimums, DVC opened the place up to all DVC members staying on property. The CM's that I have talked to working there stated that it isn't really a drink/food destination, more like small lounge location that usually only has a bartender. Disney never intended to make it a food place, that's why it doesn't have a kitchen.

They may open it up to all BLT guests in addition to DVC but who knows.

I realized that something was up when Disney sold the lounge to the DVC owners and leased it back making us responsible for it's upkeep utilities, security and insurance.

This is Disney, there is no excuse for poor service, regardless of the circumstances. There has always been a bartender and two waitresses when I have been there. Plenty of workers to serve the amount of people there adequately.

My husband and I have discussed this at length...and believe that really, only the hour or so around Wishes is the problem.

They have adequate staffing for the small crowds that are there just to enjoy the lounge without concern for the show. Once you hit about 1hr prior, they get absolutely inundated with people. As soon as Wishes is over, the line for the elevator is crazy long...because most everybody leaves! Once the crowd is gone, the lounge is again quiet and staffing is adequate.

I agree it is completely frustrating...but my business minded hubby always points out that it would make no sense to increase staffing there for just one to two hours per night.

This is Disney, there is no excuse for poor service, regardless of the circumstances. There has always been a bartender and two waitresses when I have been there. Plenty of workers to serve the amount of people there adequately.

Disney or not, poor service shouldn't be tolerated.

There are enough people to serve everyone, they just do not want to and without proper supervision, they get lazy. Just because someone works at Disney, doesn't make them special and or the best in their field.

Perhaps the next time you chat with them you might mention that they should put a little time towards actually doing the bolded part and tending to the customers and selling food and drinks. They really are the poorest at it that I've run across on property. I've been to TOTWL 7 or 8 times and only twice have I been asked if I wanted a second drink or anything else - and one of those times was because I was sitting right in front of the bartender. And every time I (or we) would have gotten something else. Instead the CM's clump together and talk. They have servers and I'll admit we've turned this into a test every time on if they would provide service or not. The overall passing mark has to be a fail, so frankly, instead of complaining, they should get to work.

It's a common theme you read about the service there and frankly I'm tired of hearing about the poor CM's complaints. Good service can drive business too but they've got a poor reputation. And even as poor as it can be I still go back. For my one drink and one appetizer if I can manager to get it ordered before they start chatting.

We have had similar experiences.

The times the staff has done decent service, we have tipped very generously because we want it to stay open and for people to want to work there.

What are the lounge hours? Maybe we'll stop in on our upcoming trip.

They used to open at 5 but it was changed to 6PM just a little less than a year ago. First day I was there in fact and had gone downstairs to head up at 5. :rolleyes:

I think they are still open until midnight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter