BLT Oversold and we got bumped :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
are you sure your "friend" is a dvc member?

do you know their resort? my guess would be someone that
booked @ 7mos., and they ( dvc ) bumped down the list.
in that case, i think that would give you the best chance
for dvc to work something out.

but if they mislead you & are rci traders, then i don't think
they can help you much.

are you familiar with timeshares & their rules? might help
you figure out if things are "right" with your "friend".

i hope this is someone you can trust...the renter, so if they
traded their rci timeshares & dvc cancelled, they would
tell you..so you don't show up with no revs. @ all?

( i would be worry since you can't talk with the dvc directly-
& double so, if you rented off e-bay- where you won't
know for sure. ) maybe some of the timeshares experts here
can advised you if you can find out the timeshare involve?

Do you have your original DVC confirmation? Cause I think something is fishy too. Four months out (actually, closer to three) your owner was able to secure a BLT room for a whole week straight during Spring Break? While that isn't impossible, it isn't exactly common either.

I have to admit, I am having a tough time buying that a 7 night reservation for a 2 bedroom was secured only 3-4 months out, and was available. OP - are you sure this was not an Ebay deal or something like it?

I had a response all figured out until I realized the OP is not a DVC member. I was going to say, full refund of points and try to see if another room is available at any other resort other than SSR. I think asking for the dining plan to be covered for 7 or 8 people for a weeks stay is asking too much. I do think, however, a credit to the room to be used towards dining or other things is reasonable.

We stayed at AKV concierge last year and had an issue and they gave us a $150 room credit that we used for two meals. We were very happy.

OP - good luck! Let us know what happens, and make the best of it!

Have you heard directly from Disney or are you getting info second hand from the person you rented from.

Have you heard directly from Disney or are you getting info second hand from the person you rented from.

See post #40, the member is actually dealing with Disney.

I think it's strange that the dining plan was credited back. I wonder if the member did not pay their dues (which were due 2/15) and the reservation was canceled.

I think it's strange that the dining plan was credited back. I wonder if the member did not pay their dues (which were due 2/15) and the reservation was canceled.

That is certainly a possibility and I too wonder what happened. It seems like it is too soon for it to be because the room was taken out for maintenance. I hope things work out for the OP.

That's a good point. Been watching this thread and I would be more than livid if this happened to me. I plan in well in advance, and if my reservation was switched to another resort, I'd be quite unhappy. SOMETHING must be missing here. As we find out more I hope it all makes sense.

That's a good point. Been watching this thread and I would be more than livid if this happened to me. I plan in well in advance, and if my reservation was switched to another resort, I'd be quite unhappy. SOMETHING must be missing here. As we find out more I hope it all makes sense.

Agreed. There is missing information here. The time frame for booking the resort is a too short for a BLT two bedroom villa.

OP, what booking category did you have? Lake view, themepark view or standard view?

And, unfortunately, the fact that the OP is not the member, they are only going to get 2nd hand information so if the problem is through the fault of the DVC member, it may not come through to them as that.

Ok Luckyman got me straight, trying to read here and watch the Oscars, LOL>

A BIG thanks to everyone for your thoughts/support! I'm sure I'll be up all night thinking about that phone call tomorrow with the outcome of our resort!
A few responses for some of you:
-We did rent the points from a DVC member who used her points and she is the one who is dealing with them (and is just as upset as us!)
-We did book our 7 day stay later than normal (we go ever other year at least) but due to extended family coming with us with a baby we didn't have as much flexibility so we booked in late Nov. Not sure if this makes us the last in/first out? They claim it was a random bump and if they move us back there, they will be bumping someone else out.
-When I look online at disney booking site for room availability, the CR, GF, and PR all don't have availability for 7 nights nor are there any other 2BR or 3BR Villas at any DVC resorts (with exception of 2BR at SSR).
-We did book the dining plan and paid for it already (however it was credited to our credit card this week which tipped us off that something was wrong - this was the start of the bad news!).
-I did make dining reservations (a few character meals!) based on our location because we are bringing a sitter with us to stay in a few nights with the children. Now I will have to try to change some of our meals based on the new location and this will be hard since a free dining promo is on!
-OK so much for trying to stay positive - but I am because we were engaged in MK in private area rose garden beneath castle and fireworks. I was going to try to book something special for my husband this trip one evening since it's also our 10 yr anniv! Hmmmm it may be a trip to the SSR spa instead to relieve some of this stress instead...:scared1:
I'll give an update tomorrow on our destiny!

-We did rent the points from a DVC member who used her points and she is the one who is dealing with them (and is just as upset as us!)

That is the line that says she rented from a member and the member is dealing with them(DVC). Apparently the (DVC member "she") is just as upset as the OP.

I also think it is strange they credited the dining plan back. If Disney was working to resolve the issue by extending the option to change rooms then I do not see them being in a hurry to give money back. :confused3 That is the last thing I could see any business doing was pay people back first before trying to work something out or finishing the conversation about the resort being changed. I don't think the OP is getting the right story because too many things just seem to be scrambled. I am pretty sure I read on the resort boards people reserved the royal rooms(I think that resort or AOA) and they were not going to be ready so they were extended the option of a different resort but in nothing did I see anyone being refunded anything before they were contacted or while they were working with them to resolve the situation. Your idea about the dues could make a lot of sense, I would think that would be the only reason money would go back.

To the OP, I really hope the friend who you rented the points/reservation from isn't being dishonest with you & that they aren't just telling you DVC changed the ressie so they won't have to admit to mistakes on their part. I wish you all the best tomorrow as you work towards a resolution with DVC and the member!

Hopefully it wasn't a mistaken wait list for BLT and the owner only could get SSR. Since all waitlists are off seven days before the start and the OP just found out a week before her trip...

DVC bumped some members in Aulani units from the DVC side to the hotel side when it "oversold" last Sept. Those people were offered compensation. Wonder what will happen to the OP...

To the OP, I really hope the friend who you rented the points/reservation from isn't being dishonest with you & that they aren't just telling you DVC changed the ressie so they won't have to admit to mistakes on their part. I wish you all the best tomorrow as you work towards a resolution with DVC and the member!

I'll be interested in seeing outcome.

The point that the resv may have been canceled because of non-payment of dues is interesting.

If it is a screw-up on Disney's part I would expect they will make it right as best they can.

The suggestions of switching to a hotel on monorail is a nice idea.

Personally I would be willing to split stay at two locations if it gave me a chance for more desired location.

If I had dining reservation (especially breakfast on the monorail) I would request some type of compensation so I can take a taxi to avoid the bus transfers (or some kind of resort credit to off-set my out of pocket)

I have an upcoming Vacation split at BLT and BWV I am not concerned about being bumped.

All said Disney does a GREAT JOB, as an organization with 32000 rooms I can't imagine all that they do to try to avoid these situations.

As others have noted it could be an issue from the member side...

Hopefully it wasn't a mistaken wait list for BLT and the owner only could get SSR. Since all waitlists are off seven days before the start and the OP just found out a week before her trip...

My suspicion is that there never was a 2 bedroom BLT reservation, there was an unfilled waitlist.

My suspicion is that there never was a 2 bedroom BLT reservation, there was an unfilled waitlist.

Yeah, I agree it does sound fishy. But I'm not certain why the dining plan payments would have been refunded. Maybe the non payment of dues as another poster suggested.

OP did refer to the member as a "friend." If true, I would hope a friend was being up-front about the situation from Day One but there are a number of things here which raise eyebrows.

If it is a legitimate bump, this has happened before and it will happen again. But it doesn't happen often and it's not something I would be constantly fearful of experiencing.

We had an issue at BoardWalk a couple years ago during the refurbishment. Had no choice but to move to another resort. Disney made an offer (several resort options, some points refunded.) I responded with a couple other requests (view upgrade, personal transportation) and we moved forward. No screaming involved. No online polls asking people what sort of compensation I should demand. It wasn't a perfect situation but sometimes you just have to make lemonade from lemons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter