• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Birthday Button "Etiquette"?

mickey'sbff

She passes time by singing, like someone else I kn
My mother and I were talking about maybe doing a mini mother/daughter trip during Columbus Day weekend to test out MNSSHP since we've never done it, do Food and Wine again since we did it last year and loved it and to possibly celebrate my birthday. My birthday is in July, but I do know that people still go to celebrate their birthday during the trip even if it's not their actual birthday.

My question is, do people normally wear the button the whole trip? I know it's not that big of a deal and there's no Disney birthday police, but I was just wondering what other people normally do.

We went a week after our sons birthday, and he wore his button the entire trip. We were there to celebrate him turning 7 - I don't think it matters that it wasn't the actual day. He certainly received some extra pixie dust on the trip thanks to the button - so he loved that. He'd take it off though if there was singing going on. He does not like attention! lol

Some people wear it for the whole trip.
Some people wear it for a day.
Do whatever makes you happy! :yay:

We were just there at the end of February celebrating DD's 7th birthday. She wore her button for the entire trip. It was awesome. Lots of people said happy birthday to her and there were some special birthday magic all week long (special desserts).

I wore mine the whole trip and at some restaurants you can receive a free piece of cake and also you hear "Happy Birthday!" A lot which is really fun!

When I went in November, my Uncle had just turned 61 the day before our departure and my aunt's 60th birthday was during the trip, so I got them both buttons!

My aunt wore hers quite a few days out of the trip - a couple of days she left it off because she tended to forget she had it on and it threw her off to be wished a happy birthday so often ;) My uncle wore his a little less, and didn't wear it on my aunt's birthday so she would get all the attention pixiedust:

It was really cute though, watching everyone wish them a happy birthday. It was especially funny once when we were at Magic Kingdom and a CM told my aunt "Bonne fete", which is happy birthday in French (which we speak, of course XD), and my aunt thanked her in English and it took her a few seconds to register the French and then she turned around all flustered and goes, "Oh, erm, merci!" It was great XD

I'm kinda wierd I guess....

My birthday is in July. Our Vacation is in Oct.
If I was celebrating my birthday, I'd go in July.
It's not like Disney is not open then...

We went on a alaskan crusie a few years ago, celebrating our wedding anniversary, which is in Oct. We went on the last cruise of the season, which is Sept. We celebrated our anniversary then on-board, because it was the closest possible travel date to the event we were celebrating. There are no cruises on the cruiseline we wanted to use in Oct.

Our 10th wedding anniversary is Oct 12. We are going Oct 6-13 and then on a 4 night Disney Cruise. Yes we will be celebrating the whole trip because the point of the trip is to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary which happens during the trip....a trip starting a few days before or after is fine...but months? no. No one will stop you, and if you feel comfortable, go for it. Once we were asked for proof of our anniversary - when we booked a trip in Vegas. We got a suite upgrade, and we faxed a copy of our wedding certificate to get it!

I am all for celebrating birthdays, anniversaries etc...but do it when they actually occur. Sometimes magical things can happen to poeple who wear those buttons and such, but I always feel it cheapens it if you do it just anytime of year, not around the actual time of it.

My birthday is in July. Our Vacation is in Oct.
If I was celebrating my birthday, I'd go in July.
It's not like Disney is not open then...

We went on a alaskan crusie a few years ago, celebrating our wedding anniversary, which is in Oct. We went on the last cruise of the season, which is Sept. We celebrated our anniversary then on-board, because it was the closest possible travel date to the event we were celebrating. There are no cruises on the cruiseline we wanted to use in Oct.

Our 10th wedding anniversary is Oct 12. We are going Oct 6-13 and then on a 4 night Disney Cruise. Yes we will be celebrating the whole trip because the point of the trip is to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary which happens during the trip....a trip starting a few days before or after is fine...but months? no. No one will stop you, and if you feel comfortable, go for it. Once we were asked for proof of our anniversary - when we booked a trip in Vegas. We got a suite upgrade, and we faxed a copy of our wedding certificate to get it!

I am all for celebrating birthdays, anniversaries etc...but do it when they actually occur. Sometimes magical things can happen to poeple who wear those buttons and such, but I always feel it cheapens it if you do it just anytime of year, not around the actual time of it.

I understand where your coming from; but sometimes life doesn't allow for it. I am blocked from taking any vacation the entire month of my birthday. I jus happen to have a birthday in our busiest month. While I would never do it for say my 33rd birthday, if I was planning a huge milestone birthday trip for a 40th or 50th I might wear the button.

I understand where your coming from; but sometimes life doesn't allow for it. I am blocked from taking any vacation the entire month of my birthday. I jus happen to have a birthday in our busiest month. While I would never do it for say my 33rd birthday, if I was planning a huge milestone birthday trip for a 40th or 50th I might wear the button.

I don't think I would wear one unless it was my actual birthday month. I'm thinking the increase in people wearing buttons whenever, instead of for their actual birthday, is why people are getting less and less magical extras.

I would never wear one 3 moths after the fact.

I will be there on my 40th with my 3 boys. I have no intent of telling anyone its my birthday, since I never celebrate it anyway. But, I overheard one of my boys asking his brothers if they should put some money together And try to find a place to buy a surprise cake for me. I thought it wAs cute.

Well we are one of those families that celebrated after the face. Our 9 day trip in December 2010 was in celebration of my and dh 10th wedding anniversary(which was in July) and dd and ds birthday and Christmas presents. Both kids birthdays are in November.

There was no way we could have in July that year to celebrate the anniversary.

When we booked the trip I told our TA that is was a belated anniversary trip and present for the kids. She added it to our reservation.

When we checked in at the Hawaii building at the Poly we all were given the respective buttons. DD and Ds wore theirs almost everyday of the trip. Dh and I only wore ours one day.

Sometimes life doesn't allow you to celebrate on the given day. Heck, on the actual day of our anniversary, we were on a 12 drive back home.

My sister is a huge fan of Larry bird and she took a special trip to Disney just for her Larry Bird birthday! (His number was 33, so I found your not for my 33 really funny)

My problem our next trip is planned for Nov 1-11. We have 8 people going and starting 2 weeks before to 2 weeks after the trip we have 7 birthdays. DD on October 17, my sister. October 14, mine November 9 my DS November 10, DH November 12, DMIL November 13, And DFIL November 25. If everyone wears a button will we get strange looks? The trip was planned to celebrate DS birthday so I think we will let him have his button and just be happy for him.

if you are going close to it, yea, I would do it too for a milestone, but not 3 months later - but that's me and I do not set up the rules! :)

My mother and I were talking about maybe doing a mini mother/daughter trip during Columbus Day weekend to test out MNSSHP since we've never done it, do Food and Wine again since we did it last year and loved it and to possibly celebrate my birthday. My birthday is in July, but I do know that people still go to celebrate their birthday during the trip even if it's not their actual birthday.

My question is, do people normally wear the button the whole trip? I know it's not that big of a deal and there's no Disney birthday police, but I was just wondering what other people normally do.
My opinion is that you should only wear the birthday button ON your birthday and the ONLY for that day. I know that I am in the minority and that makes me a big meanie. If you're at WDW to celebrate a birthday weeks or months away, I would pick one day and do it up right with a special meal, cake, etc and enjoy the day as if it was your birthday. Personally, I think wearing a birthday button the whole trip would get old for most adults and older kids as it would lose it's "specialness". How many days in a row can you hear "Happy Birthday!" anyway? And why wear the button unless you want to feel special or be treated in a special manner?

My own personal opinion aside, you should do whatever you want to do. There are no birthday police. Honestly, WDW doesn't give a rat's butt if you or your kid(s) wear a celebratory button as long as you are forking the money over to "celebrate" having a birthday, anniversary, etc sometime in the last or next 178 days. They are perfectly happy when you "Celebrate You" as long as they get a piece of the action :thumbsup2.

I don't think I would wear one unless it was my actual birthday month. I'm thinking the increase in people wearing buttons whenever, instead of for their actual birthday, is why people are getting less and less magical extras.
I agree. My DD's birthday is in August and we have been in Disney parks (WDW, DL, DL-Hong Kong) for her birthday many times. I have noticed a decrease in the "magical extras" after the birthday buttons became so popular. When you hear about people wearing their buttons all week and scoring free desserts and other goodies the whole time you can understand where Disney may cut back a bit. FWIW, I still have a "Today is my birthday" button and a birthday STICKER from Disneyland :).

I would never wear one 3 moths after the fact.

I agree! No wonder Disney is cutting back on the extras. Several years ago we were at Chef Mickey's when it seemed like everyone in there was celebrating birthdays and getting cupcakes and sung to. We were sitting right next to a table with two adults and three kids and heard them arguing. After seeing the cupcakes and singing everyone else was getting, the mom decided to tell the waiter that it was her kids birthdays too. The dad didn't want her to and they were getting into an rather loud argument over it. The mom rather loudly said, "Do you honestly think everyone of these people's birthday is actually this week? Sheesh, if they can lie, so can we." She waved the waiter over and told him they wanted a birthday cupcake for all three of their kids. The waiter sort of rolled his eyes and said "all three?". The mom smugly said yes. The waiter came back with three cupcakes and a couple of waiters and sang happy birthday. The dad was furious and the kids looked mortified, but after it was over, the mom said, "see it wasn't such a big deal and if everyone else can lie about their birthdays to get free stuff, why shouldn't we get free stuff too".:(

aubriee said:
I agree! No wonder Disney is cutting back on the extras. Several years ago we were at Chef Mickey's when it seemed like everyone in there was celebrating birthdays and getting cupcakes and sung to. We were sitting right next to a table with two adults and three kids and heard them arguing. After seeing the cupcakes and singing everyone else was getting, the mom decided to tell the waiter that it was her kids birthdays too. The dad didn't want her to and they were getting into an rather loud argument over it. The mom rather loudly said, "Do you honestly think everyone of these people's birthday is actually this week? Sheesh, if they can lie, so can we." She waved the waiter over and told him they wanted a birthday cupcake for all three of their kids. The waiter sort of rolled his eyes and said "all three?". The mom smugly said yes. The waiter came back with three cupcakes and a couple of waiters and sang happy birthday. The dad was furious and the kids looked mortified, but after it was over, the mom said, "see it wasn't such a big deal and if everyone else can lie about their birthdays to get free stuff, why shouldn't we get free stuff too".:(

I can't even believe that. Why would people stoop so low? And you know they will be the first to complain when all the little extras disappear.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter