• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Beware splash mountain stand by

VFL

Mouseketeer
currently in line at splash mountain. Seems like a much larger number of fast passes going through than normal. It has really increased the posted wait times by quite some time. Anyone know how many fast passes per hour are generally issued?

There have been several threads about Splash downtime over the last few days, including one from this morning. What you're seeing is probably the normal FP traffic plus a significant number of "anytime" or out-of-window FP users who had times during the closure, plus the added standby demand of people who planned to ride at rope drop but are instead riding now that it is back up.

There have been several threads about Splash downtime over the last few days, including one from this morning. What you're seeing is probably the normal FP traffic plus a significant number of "anytime" or out-of-window FP users who had times during the closure, plus the added standby demand of people who planned to ride at rope drop but are instead riding now that it is back up.
I don’t think it’s from being down. It’s the sheer volume of fast passes coming through. I have never seen so many in my life. Crazy. Definitely won’t do stand by again for this one.

That can happen on any ride. FP windows are an hour long and they overlap, which usually means the arrivals are spread out, but if a lot of people come in a surge, they will try their best to get through them all. If they are making announcements in the Standby queue (they do this on 7DMT a lot) then they are working through an FP backlog.

So I spoke too soon. Currently on splash mountain. Not moving. Lol. Guess it should just be splash mountain beware in general today

currently in line at splash mountain. Seems like a much larger number of fast passes going through than normal. It has really increased the posted wait times by quite some time. Anyone know how many fast passes per hour are generally issued?

We had a similar issue with "Frozen" (Epcot ride) in October. We were in the standby line significantly longer than the posted wait time. Meanwhile, MANY, MANY FO users were being waved thru. Frankly it made me wonder if they give out too many FP+s for "Frozen". Also, I remember when the actual wait-time was NEVER longer than the posted wait-time at Disney unless the ride broke dow.

Similar situation when I was there last week. Space Mountain was down for the entire day. Everyone who had Space Mountain fast passes got Anytime fast passes, which significantly increased the number of fast pass riders on Splash and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Then, BTMM broke down and we got another Anytime Fast pass so the line for Splash increased exponentially at that time. Pirates was also down for a time. It was a big cluster that day! Not a lot of fun for stand-by riders.

We had a similar issue with "Frozen" (Epcot ride) in October. We were in the standby line significantly longer than the posted wait time. Meanwhile, MANY, MANY FO users were being waved thru. Frankly it made me wonder if they give out too many FP+s for "Frozen". Also, I remember when the actual wait-time was NEVER longer than the posted wait-time at Disney unless the ride broke dow.

It usually happens when the ride was down and all the FPs that should have gone through at that time come back later. It can happen anytime though if a lot of the FP people in a given window all show up at once, but that is less probable. Sometimes though there will be a huge group that arrives together. It's just the nature of the FP system.

I don’t think it’s from being down. It’s the sheer volume of fast passes coming through. I have never seen so many in my life. Crazy. Definitely won’t do stand by again for this one.
it can come later after a closure the people now using their FP from earlier now plus the FP from now. so yes it sounds like what you are seeing and the extra FP have no times on them

Nobody really knows what percentage of total ride capacity is issued as FP. I personally think it's at least 70% but could be as high as 90%. So no matter what, it will always look like FP is a very high percentage going through the line.

Splash just came back from a very long refurb, and then another extended closure. And it breaks down after all that??
It was breaking down continually last week. We got anytime FP, got one ride in and had a rider swap pass. Broke down before we could use it that day, was down the next morning, finally got DH in line for it and it broke down while they were onboard.

As mentioned above nearly all the MK headliners had significant downtime last week. It was rough, and I really felt bad for anyone trying to do standby on any of them, or anyone that wasn't comfortable adjusting their plans on the fly.

It was breaking down continually last week. We got anytime FP, got one ride in and had a rider swap pass. Broke down before we could use it that day, was down the next morning, finally got DH in line for it and it broke down while they were onboard.

As mentioned above nearly all the MK headliners had significant downtime last week. It was rough, and I really felt bad for anyone trying to do standby on any of them, or anyone that wasn't comfortable adjusting their plans on the fly.
This is true...Splash & Space both went down for quite a while. My boys were bummed.

Splash standby isn’t always that bad. In the early morning and in the evening, it really isn’t bad. Experiences like what you had is normally not such an issue.

To answer OPs question: 70% of a ride’s capacity is given to FP+. If Splash can provide 2000 riders per hour 1400 FP+ will be distributed. Said another way, for every 70 FP+ people waived through you will get 30 standby. This is why when you see the Thunder or Space Mountain FP+ return line like 60 feet beyond the scanner at the ride entrance it’s still just a 20 minute wait.

This also explains why riding at the open or right at close has such short waits: no FP+ riders means you’re getting triple the number of standby riders through. If 7 dwarfs has a 60 minute standby wait at 1:00pm then the same number of people in line would be a 20 minute wait at close.

To answer OPs question: 70% of a ride’s capacity is given to FP+. If Splash can provide 2000 riders per hour 1400 FP+ will be distributed. Said another way, for every 70 FP+ people waived through you will get 30 standby. This is why when you see the Thunder or Space Mountain FP+ return line like 60 feet beyond the scanner at the ride entrance it’s still just a 20 minute wait.

This also explains why riding at the open or right at close has such short waits: no FP+ riders means you’re getting triple the number of standby riders through. If 7 dwarfs has a 60 minute standby wait at 1:00pm then the same number of people in line would be a 20 minute wait at close.
I'm pretty sure FP starts at park opening now.

At least I chose Splash Mountain over all other rides when I got the all-time FP due to Space Mountain closure during my stay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter