Beware of Very Cold Lazy River

If you want to count dues, then you have to count resale, and the fact that you could very well ultimately get back your purchase price…both of which massively shift the equation in favor of DVC.

Not counting resale is ridiculous as well. But if you don’t travel much and aren’t inclined to leave the Anaheim area, DVC wouldn’t be a good fit.

But then if you count resale you have to discuss inflation as well. So, if you buy for $25,000 and then sell 25 years later for $25,000, you still lost money.

But then if you count resale you have to discuss inflation as well. So, if you buy for $25,000 and then sell 25 years later for $25,000, you still lost money.

I just created a quick spreadsheet comparing a week in a 1Bd Ocean View Villa in June with a 25% discount (which you can not get with Military, Visa, Magic Key) for 20 years. If you earned 7% on an investment instead of buying into DVC you would still loose by $25k over 20 years if you sold DVC with a depreciation of 3% per year.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 22
I just created a quick spreadsheet comparing a week in a 1Bd Ocean View Villa in June with a 25% discount (which you can not get with Military, Visa, Magic Key) for 20 years. If you earned 7% on an investment instead of buying into DVC you would still loose by $25k over 20 years if you sold DVC with a depreciation of 3% per year.
This is getting really nerdy real fast 🤣… awesome though “oh I just whipped this up real quick”

Resale is an interesting factor. I can sell my VGC for over double what I paid for it and Aulani for a bit more than I paid. So if I were to sell, my only cost is actually my dues. In that case, a week at Aulani in a one bedroom villa costs me roughly $2000. But I’m not planning on selling so not sure where that leaves me- lol! it works for some, not for others- but we love our DVC… especially when the pools are warm!
The pools are indeed warm today! :)

Thank you!

But then I’m not counting actual appreciation either. Many people who hold for years sell for more than they bought. I think you’re grasping at straws.

The numbers don't work FOR US. You won't convince me. I've earned far more than 7% on my investments over the last 20 years. And inflation was, what, 8% last year?

The numbers don't work FOR US. You won't convince me. I've earned far more than 7% on my investments over the last 20 years. And inflation was, what, 8% last year?

I’m not trying to convince you. I’m trying to show others that they should do their own math based on their personal situation. If my math was wrong in any way, please feel free to show me yours.

“Paul Stupin said:
If you go to Disney resorts regularly, you might want to run the numbers for DVC. The savings are substantial.

DLgal said:
No they aren't. There will always be public discounts offered. I've done the math. It's never worked out to be any savings at all, just a massive expenditure and loss of opportunity costs on the upfront purchase.”

The outdoor pool up the road at Kapolei 24 hr fitness was freezing the other day fwiw. I got in jacuzzi for a bit then back to the pool andnwalked down the stairs slowly. I adjusted just fine and doing warm laps within a minute. #tipsforthecoldblooded

Jeeze Paul seems like you been there a month now are you squatting?
Ha! We’re secretly camping out behind the stage on the Halawai lawn. Gets a little noisy on luau night, but we’re used to it. Actually, saying farewell to paradise tomorrow to fly back to LA, alas. It’s been a great trip!

We just hit our 11 month today and went to book Aulani for next January and the kids convinced me it is time to go to FL so another 4 month wait for OKW

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter