Better late than never: WDW dining, no DP, from May 5-10, 2006 (with pics)

SandraVB79

<font color=deeppink> I am a Jungle Cruise skipper
It has taken me a while, basically because I didn't have the pictures on the computer that gets online, but now I have uploaded my pictures, and I am going to write my first WDW dining report!

Short introduction: It was just me (Female, I was 26 yo), I stayed off-site (don't shoot me, onsite was too expensive for an unbudgetted last-minute trip) and I had no ADRs (because it was very last-minute). I had to go to the US for work, and I stayed one week longer than my colleagues and went to WDW. Before leaving for the US, I had injured my back very badly, so I could hardly move. Not that that had an influence on my dining habbitsn, but well... :)

I arrived on May 4 in Florida, at the hotel I ate a pizza, no picture, it was edible, but it stops there. I hope Disney-food will be better!

This day, I planned to go to MGM.
I started with a breakfast at ABC Commissary. After needing help from a CM to find the restaurant (yes, I can read a map, no I couldn't find the restaurant!), I order the pancakes with bacon and sausage and an orange juice and go sit at a table outside to eat. If I ever find the receipts back (it's possible I still have them, somewhere, I guess they are where my park maps with notes are), I'll post the price (and the rest of my trip report)
The food wasn't bad. It's not the best breakfast ever, but considering it's counter service, I don't think it's bad. But I'm easy!

IMG00292.jpg

BTW, after breakfast, I went at least three times on ToT, without accidents!

Around noon, I was feeling hot (it's hard to adjust to the Florida weather for someone from Belgium) and I bought a frozen lemonade (I think near Rock'n'Rollercoaster). It was very good and refreshing. Since we don't have frozen lemonades in Belgium, I can't compare it, but I liked it!

IMG00350.jpg

I hadn't made ADRs before my trip, but when I entered the park in the morning, I went to Guest relations, and asked if it was possible to have an ADR for 50's PTC, if possible for the latest seating for lunch. I think I got one at 3.55 pm, GREAT!

I checked in about 10 mins prior, and got seated quickly. If I find back my notes, i'll be able to share the waiter's name (I think aunt Debbie or so). Although I had been dreaming about the chicken pot pie, I ordered a pasta dish with scallops (tiny little scallops) and some veggies and sauce. It was very good!

IMG00364.jpg

I treated myself for dessert (basically to be able to stay inside with airconditioning until it was time for the parade) and ordered a strawberry sundae, which was huge and very good.

IMG00365.jpg

I was very satisfied with this dinner.

Before park closing, I bought some sort of cinnamon bun, which I ate around midnight in my hotel. No picture, but a memory of some very good sweet item!

ETA: sorry, I don't know why that first picture doesn't want to show up :(

This was the firts of the two planned Epcot days. I wanted to try having lunch at Coral reef one day and Le Cellier the other day. Since I didn't like Epcot (sorry, I have my reasons, please respect them), I never made it to Le Cellier.

When entering the park, I went to Guest Relations, and they helped me with an ADR to Coral Reef at 2.55 pm, last seating for lunch.

I started the day with a breakfast at the Electric Umbrella (I think). I had a cheese omelet, sausage, biscuit and hash browns and an orange juice. It was good CS.

IMG00454.jpg

For lunch at the Coral Reef, I checked in 10 minutes early, needed to wait about 5 minutes before I got seated (second tier). I liked the table. It wasn't right next to the aquarium, but it allowed for a better view. I could see through all the windows, instead of through just one.
I ordered the diver's special, which was a fixed price 3-course lunch that they don't have anymore.

For appetizer, there was the choice between lobster bisque or a salas, and I ordered the lobster bisque. It was good, but could have been warmer.
There was also very good fresh bread with butter.

IMG00487.jpg

For entree, there was the choice between a reuben sandwich and a baked potato with shrimp. I ordered the shrimp. I have no picture, but it came on a square plate, potato, 6 shrimp and some butter sauce. It was really good!

For dessert, I had cheesecake.

IMG00488.jpg

The price of this lunch was 20.99. Too bad they don't have it anymore!

Before Illuminations, I had some funnel cake. It was the first time I ate it, and loved it!!!

IMG00550.jpg

Oh, btw, I never drank cocktails or alcohol. With the heat and me being alone, and staying off-site, I didn't trust that!
I always had diet coke.

Since I'm not American, not used to refills, not in a hurry to eat, i'm not uptight about having to wait for a couple of minutes. :rolleyes: So, no idea whether I got my refill within 20 seconds or not, and how long it took them to bring me the bill ;)

This morning, a CM I know from another board would pick me up at the hotel, we would have breakfast at Kona Cafe and then he would give me a tour of the MK.

At Kona, I had the blueberry pancakes and an orange juice, no pictures sorry. I remember the pancakes as good, but didn't understand what all the fuss about Kona Cafe was about.

During the day, I bought a Dole whip float to enjoy during the parade. I love those Dole whips!

IMG00592.jpg

I also inquired during the day if there was a possibility to have dinner at the Plaza restaurant, and the CM barked at me that all I could eat was CS, no walk-ups. Ok, fine, just don't bark at me!

So, I had dinner upstairs at Columbia Harbour House: Half tuna sandwich, cup of clam chowder, side of cole slaw and Diet Coke. All very yummy!!!

IMG00688.jpg

For breakfast, I had the biscuits and gravy, an apple/cinnamon muffin and orange juice at Tusker House.

IMG00721.jpg

Very yummy!

For lunch, I went back to Tusker House, and had the salmon and a Diet Coke. This was SO good! It's almost worth a TS restaurant!!!

IMG00770.jpg

After my full day at the AK, I took a bus to the Boardwalk, ate an ice cream (no pictures) and then took a bus to DTD where I shopped and ate a sandwich and potato salad at Earl of Sandwich. I had the Earl lemonade (lemonade with some tea), and all was very good. Too bad I don't have pictures :(

Since I liked the AK so much, I started my day again at the AK and had once again the biscuits and gravy.

After a morning in the rain, I moved over to the MK.

As a "snack" for lunch, I went to Casey's and had a hot dog with cheese and a Diet Coke.

IMG00916.jpg

For dinner, I went back to Columbia Harbour House, where I ordered a weird combination: kid's mac and cheese (love American mac and cheese, don't have it that way over here! - came with grapes and mickey crackers), side of cole slaw (love it and we don't have it over here) and a bowl of clam chowder (love it and we don't have it!)
All was good, except the kids mac and cheese. I feel sorry for the kids who have to live for two weeks or so on that stuff.

IMG01000.jpg

For breakfast, I went to the Mainstreet Bakery, and had a cinnamon roll and orange juice. It was only when I was eating, that I remembered I wanted to try the French toast loaf. Oh well, I have a reason to return, lol!

IMG01023.jpg

On this last day, I wanted to eat a hamburger. I mean, being two weeks in the US and not eating a hamburger? Impossible! I went to City Hall, and a very nice CM (a young man in a wheel chair, thank you for being so much nicer to me than the grumpy hostess at the Plaza restaurant) found me an ADR for the Plaza!

When I arrived at the Plaza, the same grumpy hostess barked at me that I would have to eat CS, and she was not pleasantly surprised when I told her I had one! ha! :cheer2:

I ordered a burger with cheese and mushrooms, a salad with ranch dressing and a Sprite.
Waiters weren't too nice, I think grumpy and barking is the standard here. Also, the burger wasn't bad, but was a little dry. Waitress wasn't too happy that I didn't want dessert... oh well...

IMG01094.jpg

IMG01095.jpg

And that was my last day at WDW!

In between everything, I had some more Dole whips, and if I remember well, this last day, I also had another funnel cake at the MK, no pictures, sorry.

On the next day, day of departure, the Mears shuttle would come early to pick me up at the hotel, and I went across the street at McD's for a breakfast. I really like their breakfast, for fast food it's really good!

At Charlotte airport, I bought a sandwich, and in the 2 Lufthansa flights, I got an evening meal, a breakfast and another breakfast. And then I was back home, and my mom made my meatloaf and tomato sauce, like she always does when I come back home from the US!

In May, I will probably be back at WDW, with my mom this time, satying on-site, no DP (too scared to gain too much weight because of eating too much!).

I don't think I'll be back at Kona Cafe, although you never know, my mom loves Hawaii, and the Poly will probably be the closest she'll get to Hawaii! So we might have breakfast there again.
I won't be back at the Plaza. The restaurant is lovely, but the staff is way too grumpy! I didn't feel welcome from the moment I checked with the hostess until I left. They all barked at the guests and each other. Also, the burger wasn't bad, but wasn't anything special either.

I can't wait to go back to Tusker House (the salmon!) and Coral reef (good food, great restaurant). Also, CHH and EoS will see me again!

Thanks for the reviews and pictures. I really enjoyed them!:cool1: :thumbsup2 I agree with Disneyolic, it was really interesting hearing from the point of view of someone from another country! :)

Loved your reviews!!! Great photos too, I can't believe I have never tried a funnel cake, it looks fabulous!

Thanks for the great reviews. You should take your Mom to 'Ohana at the Poly for dinner. You get the nice atmosphere of the Poly and the food is super yummy. I hope you do another report (although sooner ;) ) of your next trip.

Thank you for taking the time to come back and post! Excellent reviews - a BIG thank you! My DS about flipped for your dole whip float pic!
:thumbsup2

Thanks for the reviews and pics! I second the suggestion of 'Ohana! Great restaurant, yummy food, good service, one of our favorites!!

Thanks for the pictures and review enjoyed reading :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter