• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best Western Lakeside Review

GrumpyFamilyof5

DIS Veteran
We just got back yesterday from staying 3 nights at the Best Western Lakeside. I had read many reviews, most pretty good, but the fews bad ones had me a little worried......., but...
Room was fairly clean, bathroom could have been a little better. As other reviews have mentioned the air conditioner was pretty loud when kicked on so being a light sleeper it kept waking me up. Everyone else slept like a log!
We had a lake view with the mini golf right outside our door. Kids enjoyed being able to play. Pools were kept clean and were great after the hot days in the parks. We didn't eat in the restaraunts, so can't comment on them, but when we passed through to the little general store they seemed very clean and inviting.
Only complaints I have and really there not complaints just something I think they could improve on. Customer service. Fine when we checked in, lady up front was nice and everything went smoothly even the ticket people took our polite no as a answer and said we're here if you change your mind. But when I took the keys back and said we were leaving, the lady up there then was a little rude and seemed not to care when I explained about the coffee maker in our room....which is my other little complaint. The website says there is a coffee maker in room. It is a one cup at a time maker, they give you 2 bags for it(I'm sure you could ask for more). It was aggravating to me cause it wouldn't ever brew my whole cup, it kept clicking off before it would finish. Oh well just something miner!
Housekeeping, though I never actually saw her, she was nice. I had left a tip every morning and asked for a couple extra towels, she did just that and washclothes. The last day she even gave me an extra coffee bag. The best was that she arranged the kids blankets and animals on the bed, they enjoyed that!
There is a Walgreens right on the corner of property that is open 24hrs. It really came in handy. Plenty of places to eat, many within walking distance.
Overall, I'd say not bad place for price and when we go back if we don't stay on Disney property I'd definately consider this place again if the price is right!
If anyone has any questions, please don't hesitate to ask, I'll do my best to answer for you!:)

So would that area of Kissimmee be a nice area to stay for hotel, restaurants and shopping convenience?

So would that area of Kissimmee be a nice area to stay for hotel, restaurants and shopping convenience?
Yes! the road next to it goes back to Osceola Parkway, straight into Disney! Right down the road is I-4. Very nice location with many things to choose from, shopping/food etc. There's not only the Walgreens, but a Publix on the corner across from Walgreens. A Denny's, Burger King,Golden Corral, Taco Bell, I could go on. Alot to choose from! The area seemed very nice in my opinion and DH says I'm picky??!!;) :)

just wondering, was there a continental breakfast served? i'm looking for a nice hotel with one because i think it would be reallly convenient in the morning.
thanks!

just wondering, was there a continental breakfast served? i'm looking for a nice hotel with one because i think it would be reallly convenient in the morning.
thanks!

Sorry they don't, I guess because they have their own restaraunt and mini store, plus a Pizza Hut. We personally didn't eat there, but others that we talked to said it was average.
Ther are many places right there though to catch a quick bite, that have very reasonable prices! A couple you can even walk right next door to.
Hope this helps.
Oh, also you get a fridge in the room, ours was very helpful, we bought donuts down the road at Dunkin Donuts and bought some milk and cereal and ate right in the room.;)

I just booked my vacation and I am staying at the Best Western Lakeside. According to the hotel's website the shuttle hours are not very good for Disney visitor's who want to get an early start.

This is my first trip to Disney World and I want to be at the parks and experience everything. Does anyone have advice? Is there another form of transportation like buses or taxi's that access the Disney parks easily? Should I just rent a car? Any advice would be so appreciated.

Thanks for sharing your great detailed review. :)

According to the hotel's website the shuttle hours are not very good for Disney visitor's who want to get an early start.

Most hotels w/ offsite shuttles to the park are not very reliable. We've used them at varying hotels in the past, but only when we knew we were doing shorter visits to the park. Many times they do not coordinate w/ the park hours at all. That is why I personally think if you're staying offsite you really need a rental car.

I totally agree, I know it may cost more, but in my honest opinion, having a car is the best way to go, that way you decide when and where and what time!
We always drive because we are about 7 hrs from Kissimmee and I wouldn't want it any other way. It's the freedom of doing what you want, when you want and not having to wait on a shuttle or a taxi.
Just my opinion though!;)
If you have any other concerns or questions about Lakeside, please don't hesitate to ask, I'd be more then happy to help you.
We're trying to work it out to go back down to Disney the last week of Dec. thinking of the ASMu, but if that falls through, I wouldn't hesitate a bit about staying at Lakeside again!:)

I actually think that if you used a taxi to make round-trips to WDW 5 times in a trip--- that you'd be able to rent a compact or mid-size car for about the same price. At least very, very comparable. I know Alamo gets a bit of a bad name (really long lines, and agents that are really pushy w/ the "extra's"). However, they usually have some really great deals. We've used them a lot, not just in Orlando. Though I do have to say Orlando is the only place w/ that incredibly long line. They are also in the MCO terminal.

boy sure glad this was a good review.

just knew you were going to complaint - you are not living up to your name!!!

thanks!

This place is old.

but I definitely enjoyed my stays there.

back in 1971 - it was the first hotel we stayed at before Grandmother discovered the Polyn.

boy sure glad this was a good review.

just knew you were going to complaint - you are not living up to your name!!!

thanks!

This place is old.

but I definitely enjoyed my stays there.

back in 1971 - it was the first hotel we stayed at before Grandmother discovered the Polyn.

Nah, I'm a little picky as in wanting a clean room and bathroom, but sometimes you just can't afford to stay on Disney property if you want to go bad enough. Lakeside was clean and decent sized rooms. If you want the ritz, then no not a place for some people, if you want a comfortable bed at night after a long day at the parks, clean bathroom and refreshing clean pools, then this place is perfect. The prices are not bad either!:thumbsup2

For anyone interested, I called for April rates and the reservationist told me that for 7 per adult per day you can prepay for their all you can eat hot breakfast buffet that includes beverages, And Kids eat free! She said it was a really good breakfast.
I didn't reserve as I am awaiting for good airfare but thought I would pass along the info!:)

Below is my review, from when I stayed at BW Lakeside last year.
I had a great time and would love to go back there.
If anyone has any questions, I'd be glad to help.

Stayed at Best Western Lakeside for seven nights, from September 10th to the 17th.

Based on what I payed for the hotel, my expectations weren't too high. I loved the hotel and would stay again for sure.

PROS:

* It took me 10 minutes from the parking lot of the hotel to the parking lot of the Disney parks. 5 minutes to the Animal Kingdom

* The pool is great: clean, big with lots of chairs and tables available

* Free high-speed Internet connection

* Nice job done daily by the maid

* Walgreens in the parking lot is also great to buy water (don't buy at the parks, it's extremely expensive compared to taking it with you) and snacks

* Mini-fridge in the room, great for freezing water overnight to take to the parks next day

* Pizza Hut onsite was very convenient, we used it once when we were too tired to go out.

* Combination safe in the room, free of charge.

* Mini-golf and arcade room in the hotel, good for kids and teens

* There was a gym, but we didn't check it out

CONS:

* The 1st room we stayed at had part of the carpet soaked due to a problem with the A/C. Also, the wardrobe had a weird smell. I complained on Monday and it took them 2 days to see they couldn't fix ithe A/C problem. We were then offered to change to a room by the poolside and to have free breakfast for the remaining 4 days which was nice. The second room was much better, it seemed newer than the 1st one

* Breakfast: although it was free for us after the incident above (the regular price is 6.99 in September), it wasn't great compared to the breakfast from Ponderosa (3.99) and Golden Corral (6.49 after applying coupons find everywhere). If you have a car while in the hotel, PLEASE try to eat somewhere else. The good thing about the breakfast in the hotel was the fresh omelet.

* I checked the schedule for the free shuttles and it's not very good. I really would recommend renting a car. It's very cheap and offers great flexibility. But if you don't have a car/cant drive, it could be a plus. It's free after all

I recommend this hotel and would go back again, for sure. Just don't expect a luxury hotel for what you're paying.

I have found a dirt cheap rate for this hotel on hotwire.... like $24 a night :goodvibes Anyways, Im leary to book it. Does anyone know how far this hotel is from Seaworld?

Also, I read one bad review on tripadvisor that implied that the police were there. Is this hotel in a safe area???? The pools and mini golf look fun... but Id rather spend more $ if its not safe for a family?

Thanks so much.

I have found a dirt cheap rate for this hotel on hotwire.... like $24 a night :goodvibes Anyways, Im leary to book it. Does anyone know how far this hotel is from Seaworld?

Also, I read one bad review on tripadvisor that implied that the police were there. Is this hotel in a safe area???? The pools and mini golf look fun... but Id rather spend more $ if its not safe for a family?

Thanks so much.

Not sure about the Hotwire thing, never used it, sorry:confused3
But, about the safe thing. I've seen the police at a Disney Resort before, so I don't think it's a issue, just bad timing, can happen anywhere. I don't see where it's a bad location. There are many places to eat around, next door to Walgreens. Right next to the road that takes you into Disney. In my opinion the area was safe. Anything can happen anyway, besides you have no idea why the police was there, could have been anything.
We had a great time, felt very safe. Our children felt safe, we had no problems.
The pools and mini golf are fun! The kids loved it!
Just remember that when it comes to reviews there is always going to be a review that is bad and that anything can happen at any given time anywhere, even at Disney!
Hope this helps, if you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask, I'll be happy to help.:)

Oh yeah, sorry meant to tell you that it's not to far from Seaworld, it maybe took us 1/2 hr with traffic to get there.
If your also going to Disney though and just Seaworld for the day, then I recommend this hotel, very convenient to Disney!;)
If your just doing Seaworld, then I'm sure you can find something a little closer.:confused3

Thank so much for the imput. Your right, any one can have a bad experience anywhere and such. I have read that some hotels in and around are "seedy".. wasnt trying to imply this one was... just wanted to make sure it wasnt in a unsavory neighborhood.

I have read mostly really good reviews for this hotel, so I really appreciate the imput. :)

I also see you have stayed at Pop before... can you tell me how how this hotel and Pop compare? (besides the obvoius lack of disney theming?)

We are going to Orlando on this trip for Seaworld, a few other Orlando things, but not Disney. I have looked at a map since my earlier post and I till probably keep searching for something a little closer to our desired area!

What a great deal on a hotel though.....

Thanks again!

We have stayed here 4 times under different names over the years. See my list below, Our fave is Courtyard by Marriott LBV purely for the location after that Lakeside comes in 2nd place, its great value for money, we are getting a rate of approx $45/night incl tax and resort fee here in UK. Would rather stay here than a Disney Value hotel anyday.

Thank so much for the imput. Your right, any one can have a bad experience anywhere and such. I have read that some hotels in and around are "seedy".. wasnt trying to imply this one was... just wanted to make sure it wasnt in a unsavory neighborhood.

I have read mostly really good reviews for this hotel, so I really appreciate the imput. :)

I also see you have stayed at Pop before... can you tell me how how this hotel and Pop compare? (besides the obvoius lack of disney theming?)

We are going to Orlando on this trip for Seaworld, a few other Orlando things, but not Disney. I have looked at a map since my earlier post and I till probably keep searching for something a little closer to our desired area!

What a great deal on a hotel though.....

Thanks again!

Sorry if I made it sound like you were implying, didn't mean to!;)
Lakeside is a very nice place, but yeah, I'd choose a Disney Resort any day, if the price is right!
Our last trip was for Seaworld and Cypress Gardens, so we went with somewhere a little closer to Hwy 27. Also we got the military rate so that helped! It really wasn't to far to Seaworld, but if that is mainly what your going for you might be able to find something closer. It took me a month of searching and going back and forth before making a decision, just have to go with what you think is best for you and your family.
As far as Pop, we've stayed there twice, mainly because though I wanted to try another resort the last time at Disney, the kids kept talking about how much they loved it. The theming is great. It's a wonderful place, but like any place everything can have it's ups and downs. But yeah the theming is what was missed at lakeside, but the pools were less crowded and the mini golf was a plus! You also can't beat just walking over to the Walgreens if you need something, alot cheaper the the Disney stores. All in all, lakeside has all you need in a hotel except the theming.
We've only stayed off site a few times and compared to the others the Lakeside was like the Marriott:rotfl:
If you want a nice place for a nice price, Lakeside is the ticket!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter