• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best waterpark for kids 7 & 8

arizonacolbys

Owner of 2 Crazy Labs!
We are thinking of trying a waterpark this September with my girls - aged 7 & 8 at the time of the trip. they will both likely be under 48", so not able to ride all the slides. They LOVE going to the indoor waterparks like Great Wolf Lodge & Kalahari, so we thought this would be fun this year. Do kids this age have more to do at Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon? My husband and I have been to both, but it's been 10+ years since & I really don't remember much about them. :)

We're huge fans of the water parks, love 'em. Yes, BB has a more organized "kids" area, but honestly ages 7 and 8 are getting to the older end of that kids area. It's really meant for 8 and under.

Both of the parks are fantastic and have similar things, with different themes obviously. How adventurous are they? I don't recall the height restrictions on all the slides, but TL has roller coaster-ish water slides...instead of gravity giving you speed, you're propelled by a strong water jet pushing your tube. It's called Crush N Gusher. Tons of fun. The wave pool at TL is also like nothing you've seen. The waves are HUGE. Doesn't mean younger kids can't go in, but if they're not strong swimmers, keep them at knee level or less. The bottom of the wave pool is rough, so be careful. The shark reef at TL is also a lot of fun. BB wave pool is much more gentle, very small and frequent waves instead of one massive one. The two "big" slides are a lot of fun, but you WILL catch a little air. They both have really fun lazy rivers and plenty of smaller tube and mat slides.

Steps...lots of steps. Be prepared to climb them to get to the slides. BB has a ski lift style chair lift, but it has a long line and stops frequently, it's quicker to just walk. But you'll do plenty of climbing. The ground at either place can get pretty hot in the middle of summer. Some people wear water shoes. I personally can't stand them, so I don't. They do a decent job of watering down the pavement to keep it cool, but you'll encounter hot spots for sure...some quick tippy toe walking is required.

You'll have lots of fun at either, really.

Last edited:
We're huge fans of the water parks, love 'em. Yes, BB has a more organized "kids" area, but honestly ages 7 and 8 are getting to the older end of that kids area. It's really meant for 8 and under.

Both of the parks are fantastic and have similar things, with different themes obviously. How adventurous are they? I don't recall the height restrictions on all the slides, but TL has roller coaster-ish water slides...instead of gravity giving you speed, you're propelled by a strong water jet pushing your tube. It's called Crush N Gusher. Tons of fun. The wave pool at TL is also like nothing you've seen. The waves are HUGE. Doesn't mean younger kids can't go in, but if they're not strong swimmers, keep them at knee level or less. The bottom of the wave pool is rough, so be careful. The shark reef at TL is also a lot of fun. BB wave pool is much more gentle, very small and frequent waves instead of one massive one. The two "big" slides are a lot of fun, but you WILL catch a little air. They both have really fun lazy rivers and plenty of smaller tube and mat slides.

Steps...lots of steps. Be prepared to climb them to get to the slides. BB has a ski lift style chair lift, but it has a long line and stops frequently, it's quicker to just walk. But you'll do plenty of climbing. The ground at either place can get pretty hot in the middle of summer. Some people wear water shoes. I personally can't stand them, so I don't. They do a decent job of watering down the pavement to keep it cool, but you'll encounter hot spots for sure...some quick tippy toe walking is required.

You'll have lots of fun at either, really.

Thanks!! They are more adventurous than I am on the waterslides! LOL But, their height will restrict them a bit - they won't be tall enough for the biggest slides & the Crush N Gusher. Maybe by next year! We may try to fit in a visit to each one, but we'll see how the week goes! :)

The shark reef at TL is also a lot of fun.

The Shark Reef is gone at TL. They cleared the area to make way for the new family tube slide. I always loved the Shark Reef, but the new slide looks pretty great too. I think it opens this summer.

We did the water parks in 2014 with my then 7 and 9 yr olds. They loved both of them!! So I don't think you will go wrong with choosing one over the other. They both LOVED the wave pool and Crush N Gusher at Typhoon Lagoon! But also LOVED the other slides at Blizzard Beach. I think it is a toss up. You won't be disappointed either way!

The Shark Reef is gone at TL. They cleared the area to make way for the new family tube slide. I always loved the Shark Reef, but the new slide looks pretty great too. I think it opens this summer.

Aww, man. This breaks my heart. What a unique attraction that was.

Aww, man. This breaks my heart. What a unique attraction that was.

Yeah, I know. I liked it too, but the new Miss Adventure Falls sounds very good and is tied into the S.E.A. (Society of Explorers and Adventurers), so that's pretty cool!

Yeah, I know. I liked it too, but the new Miss Adventure Falls sounds very good and is tied into the S.E.A. (Society of Explorers and Adventurers), so that's pretty cool!

A water slide is a water slide. I love me some slides, but I just liked the shark reef because it was different.

That's right, I totally forgot. We did it several times last summer and I forgot it was gone. I'll miss it, but I won't miss the ICE cold water in it.

This marks the 3rd thing this week that we found out was gone, along with Disney Quest (or will be, by the time we go) and the Jake option at Pirate League (which is still on the website despite being gone for over a year).

We really enjoyed shark reef, and was looking forward to it :sad1:

To answer OPs question:
Look online at the list of slides/attractions with your kids and see which is most appealing. Overall, I would say BB has more slides that are dare devil like, while TL has the 6 ft waves in the wave pool. You'd have to check, but I think BB has more slides with height requirements, but not sure.

We've only been to BB, but there is a whole separate area for older kids that my daughters (9 and 6 last summer) loved. This is in addition to the kiddie section for younger kids and there are multiple slides, a zip line and lily pads for them to cross. They also love the family raft ride, and all the other slides except for Summit Plummet and Slush Gusher (too fast and steep for them).

Haven't been to either park ( hoping to experience both this summer!) But wanted to chime in that by September your two little ones could jump in height...are they close to the 48 inch mark? ( like 45 inches?) My 7 year old this past November was at the 50 inch mark (her birthday is end of November so she turned 8 a few weeks later). But last summer she was at 45 inches. Either way I'm sure you will have a blast!

Does anyone know which of the two water parks will be open in November of this year (2017)?

Typhoon Lagoon is closed this winter, and if memory serves last winter it was BB. So I think it's a pretty good bet that BB will be the one closed in winter 2017/2018

I second the recommendations for BB. They have a pre-teen area (separate from the kiddie one) that my boys enjoyed at 7 & 8. And also plenty of slides to keep them entertained.

Another vote for BB. My kids have always liked it more. Plus, the wave pool at TL is brutal!

I remember hearing about a slide that some people say gives an absolutely brutal and painful wedgie! Does anyone know which slide that is, and at which park? And is it really so bad for everyone, or is it only rare that someone has a major issue? (Sorry to be so vague).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter