Best Vegetarian Dining

MaryJ

<font color=660099>Believes in Tag Gremlins, not T
DD, her friend from college and I are going to WDW together in May. The friend will celebrate her birthday while we are there and she is a vegetarian. I am looking for suggestions for a restaurant that has a great veggie menu and will also be able to provide a birthday cake for her as a surprise. She especially enjoys good salads. TIA!

Boma! Though, I would call ahead to ask about birthday cake possiblities, as it is a buffet. Jiko (also at AK) would probably have a good veggie menu too, but since you mentioned salads, I immediately thought of Boma. I usually fill up on salad and soups when I eat there, and rarely have any meat (though I'm not sure what the soup stock is for the various soups).

www.allearsnet.com has the menus for each of the restaurants. I'm vegetarian, my daughter won't eat red meat, and my husband will eat anything that moves. On our trip we ate at Crystal Palace at MK, Hollywood Brown Derby at MGM, and Rose & Crown at Epcot. All three of these restaurants had vegetarian selections. There was something for everyone.

My DH and I are vegetarians and would agree with previous posters' suggestions to give Boma or Jiko a try or Crystal Palace. I think Boma was voted the best vegetarian restaurant in central Florida or something along those lines. Re: their soups, they always offers one vegetarian soup, though it's never marked as such so you need to ask one of the chef's to point it out.

Re: the birthday cake, contact whichever restaurant you decide to go to to see what they can do for you. However, if you decide to eat at Boma, they have some really excellent desserts so unless you know that DD's friend would be disappointed unless there was a birthday cake, how about letting her enjoy their amazing desserts? I can't imagine eating at Boma and not having a zebra dome for dessert, but then again, maybe they could provide you with an equally amazing birthday cake?

I haven't eaten at the Brown Derby but have looked at the menu and their vegetarian offering sounds very good! I hope to give it a try on our next trip.

Just a note on the Allearsnet Vegetarian advice. It's really wonderful and has helped me enormously in choosing restaurants in the *theme parks* but they haven't broken down the choices of veggie dishes in the *resort* restaurants so it's well worth going through each resort restaurant menu too because I was pleasantly surprised by some of the items on the list.

Also, be sure to find out what type of vegetarian your DD's friend is. Does she eat fish as some vegetarians do? Does she eat cheese made with animal rennet (some cheeses use rennet from non-animal origin)? Does she eat/drink dairy products but perhaps not eat eggs (lacto-vegetarian)? Or is she vegan (eats no meat, dairy products or eggs)? Sorry, don't mean to add to your task but perhaps ask a few questions first to avoid disappointment and don't forget to ring the restaurant a few days in advance to let them know that she is vegetarian. Have a great trip!

Not sure what you have in mind, but for an "occasion" veggie meal, don't forget the California Grill. Ususally have a several veggie-appropriate selections, and can easily alter more of them if you request it (on the spot, usually, but it's always good to ask ahead.)

DD is a vegetarian and Boma is her favourite Disney dining spot. If you ask one of the chefs will take you around the buffet and point out which dishes are ok for vegetarians.Buffets seemed to offer her the most choices.We also asked for and received good vegetarian meals at O'Hanna's and the Brown Derby. She liked the Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers at the Prime Time. Have a great time!

Disney5Mom said:
....We also asked for and received good vegetarian meals at O'Hanna's and the Brown Derby.

Oh! Oh! I need to know what they served your daughter at 'Ohana's???

A stir fry with noodles and vegetables. (We asked to talk to a chef when we were seated before the meal ,as last year they served her deep fried battered vegetables which looked good to us but she didn't care for them)We called WDWDINE before leaving home and they suggested we just ask to speak to a chef when we checked in and this worked out well for us.They will talk it over with you until they find something you like..My daughter does not like tofu,coconut as well as being vegetarian. Happy Dining!

Disney5Mom said:
A stir fry with noodles and vegetables. ......

Thanks! DH is Vetetarian, but I am not. I would like to try 'Ohana's next time but didn't know what they would serve him. He still might not agree to go because of the display of meat.

If you do decide to go ask to be seated away from the cooking area. We sat in the main room and had a lovely view of the castle. DD preferred this to being seated near the Fire Pit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter