Best under seat backpack?

blabbermouth

DIS Veteran
Looking to get a new travel backpack. It doesn't need to be a full carry on size, just big enough for flight essentials and maybe a swimsuit or small change of clothes. I like lots of pockets/organization. I don't really want an "Amazon brand", but also have it be somewhat reasonable. Any suggestions?

We have an REI day pack that’s quite handy. Has elastic mesh side poclets for water bottles and vented padded back I case you bring a laptop/ipad. And REI has. Liftetime warranty on all REI-brand products.

I'd look at the Motherlode backpacks at Ebags. There are a few different sizes to choose from so you can find what fits your needs. Very well made and you can usually find a deal on them.

I'd look at the Motherlode backpacks at Ebags. There are a few different sizes to choose from so you can find what fits your needs. Very well made and you can usually find a deal on them.
Oh man, they are all half price on their US site, but they don't ship to Canada and you can only buy them on Amazon and they are all over $200.

Define “reasonable.” Eg Tom Bihn makes an outstanding product and they have great organization, but they are priced like they are made in America in small batches by fairly paid workers.

My go to travel backpack is an Osprey that I picked up at REI (currently there is a 20% off members sale going on). My work/commuter bag is a Belroy, that I got used from Amazon. I have a couple of cheap travel duffels that I use as a gym bag but can also travel with, and just bought myself an Away Everywhere Bag from eBay (used) because I make bad decisions when my insomnia is bad. I like it but I think I prefer having a backpack to something on my roller bag.

The next backpack I buy will probably be sized for 3-4 days (40-50L) due to a couple of trips where a rolling suitcase would be inconvenient. I have one like that from eBags but the quality isn’t great and once again I’m not sleeping that well.

Define “reasonable.” Eg Tom Bihn makes an outstanding product and they have great organization, but they are priced like they are made in America in small batches by fairly paid workers.

My go to travel backpack is an Osprey that I picked up at REI (currently there is a 20% off members sale going on). My work/commuter bag is a Belroy, that I got used from Amazon. I have a couple of cheap travel duffels that I use as a gym bag but can also travel with, and just bought myself an Away Everywhere Bag from eBay (used) because I make bad decisions when my insomnia is bad. I like it but I think I prefer having a backpack to something on my roller bag.

The next backpack I buy will probably be sized for 3-4 days (40-50L) due to a couple of trips where a rolling suitcase would be inconvenient. I have one like that from eBags but the quality isn’t great and once again I’m not sleeping that well.
Hahaha. This was great. I would say under $200. I haven't heard of Tom Bihn, but I'm looking now!

If you're dealing with an ULCC, and want to maximize capacity with a backpack check gonex. Available at Amazon.

PP gave you good options if you're using a real airline and are going to use it alot.

My suggestions are for pax who need to maximize packing space and plan on occasional use.

Weekly business flyers should look at more expensive bags

I've recently switched to an Osprey Daylite+

It's super comfortable to wear all day in the park and fits easily under airline seats. I especially like that it securely fits a 40oz hydroflask.

Does it need to be a backpack? I have a great tote style carry on. Very roomy, two inside zipper pockets, zips closed and really stays on your shoulder. Holds more than you would think.
PXL_20240307_185856763.MP.jpg

Does it need to be a backpack? I have a great tote style carry on. Very roomy, two inside zipper pockets, zips closed and really stays on your shoulder. Holds more than you would think.
View attachment 843570
Yes! I always pack too much and a shoulder bag is too heavy. Plus always slipping off when helping my kid etc.
TravelPro sells both backpacks, but also under-seat rollaboards. You might not consider the price reasonable, but they're very durable so for a heavy user they're a great value.
I find travelpro well priced and all of my luggage is travelpro!

I ended up getting the same backpack as my husband from Eddie Bauer. Haven't used to yet, but the sale price was really good and it appears very well made!

I agree with anything Travelpro. Wife and I have Platinum Elite Carry-on's. Definitely worth the price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter