Best time to go: Jan or April?

chai latté

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone

I’m planning a family trip to WDW (Me, husband, 2 boys (age 5 and 2/3 (age depends on when we go) and my husband and I can’t agree as to whether we should go in January 2015, or April, 2015. Just wondering if anyone could share their thoughts, or what they would do? Below is what I’ve written as the pros and cons, although I may have missed something.

January:
We would be going week of January 24th, 2015
Pros: We will save approx. $600 as my one son will be 2 and doesn't require a ticket (turning 3 in March), plus hotel rates are a bit cheaper as it will be value season (we will be staying at Pop Century). Crowds will be lower.

Cons: It will be colder; can’t use pools; more refurbishments and ride closures (although we aren’t likely to be going on any big rides anyways); chance that our flights could get delayed/cancelled due to weather

April:
We would be going the week of April 25th , 2015
Pros: The weather will be warmer; can use the pool; less ride closures
Cons: Longer lines than in January; more expensive by approx. $600 as my son will now be 3, so we have to pay for his ticket, plus hotel rates are slightly more expensive as it will be regular season

We are leaning towards January because it’s cheaper and my kids don’t have much patience so shorter lines are idea. A lot of my online research, however, shows that April is rated much higher as a good time to visit and the weather will be nicer. Thoughts?

I went to a water park in January last year and spent a few afternoons in the pool. It's hit or miss, but January doesn't automatically mean no pool time. :)

I've never been in April, but I did enjoy my January trip.

chai latté;50804763 said:
Hi everyone

I’m planning a family trip to WDW (Me, husband, 2 boys (age 5 and 2/3 (age depends on when we go) and my husband and I can’t agree as to whether we should go in January 2015, or April, 2015. Just wondering if anyone could share their thoughts, or what they would do? Below is what I’ve written as the pros and cons, although I may have missed something.

January:
Pros: We will save approx. $600 as my one son will be 2 and doesn't require a ticket (turning 3 in March), plus hotel rates are a bit cheaper as it will be value season (we will be staying at Pop Century). Crowds will be lower.

Cons: It will be colder; can’t use pools; more refurbishments and ride closures (although we aren’t likely to be going on any big rides anyways); chance that our flights could get delayed/cancelled due to weather

April:
Cons: Longer lines than in January; more expensive by approx. $600 as my son will now be 3, so we have to pay for his ticket, plus hotel rates are slightly more expensive as it will be regular season

We are leaning towards January because it’s cheaper and my kids don’t have much patience so shorter lines are idea. A lot of my online research, however, shows that April is rated much higher as a good time to visit and the weather will be nicer. Thoughts?

We went in January 2013 and will be returning January 2015! Same week you are looking at, actually! We loved January. When we were there, only one day was too cool to swim. Most days were in the 70s-low 80s. Obviously, that can't be guaranteed, but I wouldn't rule out the pool just because it's January. The lines were virtually nonexistent, which is our biggest pro for January. :thumbsup2

We went last day of January/first week of February and of the 8 days only 3 were too cold to swim, the other days were gorgeous. I think it's important to balance comfortable weather for swimming with comfortable weather to be walking around the parks ;) 80s was HOT walking around the parks...I can only imagine hotter than that would not be fun.

I would do January. We've been both months and IMO January is better. However, we went the 1st week of January 2011 and the crowds were absolutely horrible but the end of the month is good. We went April last year and it was super hot (we're going May of this year :lmao:). So my vote would be January. It was fairly chilly in the evening but the kids still took advantage of the pool. Good luck deciding!

I say April also :) We went last year and it was divine! And there's F&G festival. The younger age and less cost is nice, but we still managed to get 30% off the room in April.

Hi everyone

January:

April:

While less likely, I wouldn't write off swimming in January. It really is hit or miss. Sometimes the weather is warm enough. If given the choice, I would go in January. Save the $$ and lower crowds (although some report higher crowds at all times now).

April can be very busy depending on April vacation times and such. The better weather would be nice, but not at a high increase in costs and bigger crowds.

Good Luck!

April may not be as crowded as you think. Easter is early so you will miss the massive spring break crowds. The weather will be much nicer than in Jan. Plus factor in if you are flying from a state that normally gets snow you could possibly have snow relayed delays in Jan. So the $600 you save by going in Jan might have to be used for extra hotel nights if you run into weather trouble and how many days it take the airline to get you home.

This past winter it took a friend of mine 3 days to get home because of the snow and overcrowded flights and it was just her and her husband.

I would go in April.
I've been to FL 20+ times in April and have never had bad weather. Then, there is also the Flower and Garden festival which I love. It just seems to make Epcot such a happy place. :goodvibes
Easter is earlier next year (April 5), so you shouldn't have real big crowds. I went the 3rd week of April last year and it was great.

January is too much of a toss up for me. A HUGE con (IMO) to January is that it is a big time for refurbishments. There is a very good chance that a number of rides could be closed during your trip, including biggies like Splash Mountain. It's much less likely that they would have something down for an extended period of time in April.
The weather is also a huge toss up. I've been over Feb. break a number of times and we've had anything from 80's on down to 30's!:scared1: You may get lucky, you may not.

We have been in Jan and April. I personally liked Jan better. The crowds were so much better. We have been swimming when it was cold out and weren't the only ones in the pool. I just pack sweatsuits for everyone so we can pull them on fast and run to the room. All the pools are heated.

I would go in April.
I've been to FL 20+ times in April and have never had bad weather. Then, there is also the Flower and Garden festival which I love. It just seems to make Epcot such a happy place. :goodvibes
Easter is earlier next year (April 5), so you shouldn't have real big crowds. I went the 3rd week of April last year and it was great.

January is too much of a toss up for me. A HUGE con (IMO) to January is that it is a big time for refurbishments. There is a very good chance that a number of rides could be closed during your trip, including biggies like Splash Mountain. It's much less likely that they would have something down for an extended period of time in April.
The weather is also a huge toss up. I've been over Feb. break a number of times and we've had anything from 80's on down to 30's!:scared1: You may get lucky, you may not.

ITA. We've never had bad weather in April. However, one January (2010 I think) was literally freezing. It actually sleeted one morning and at the start of the marathon the next morning, it was something like 34 degrees. The days were cold and windy and it really wasn't fun to be outside.

April would be my choice, even though, no bones about it, 'can' be very hot and humid - I'm in the south. We love the F&G Festival, so that's a big draw for us. Easter is early (Apr. 5) so the crowds should not be too bad.

We've gone twice end of Jan. and both times we 'froze'! Can also be very pleasant - so definitely a hit and miss as far as temperatures.

Actually, though, because of the savings on the tickets, I would probably consider going in January this time if I were you.

We went twice in the beginning of January and the high was in the 70's. CM's told us, "This is so weird, this never happens, this is an unusual heat wave!" But it happened TWICE. So we were just lucky, I guess.

The one negative about January is that there is a good possibility of rides going down for routine maintenance, the moat in the Castle being drained, etc. Right after the busy holiday season there's a lot of "clean up" as it were.

Still would do it again. Avoid Martin Luther King Day weekend, and keep your eyes open for the Marathon dates.

I thought Easter was April 20th? We are going April 6th thru April 13th. It has been a rough year for me so this is my DH's treat to perk me up. :lovestruc

We always go in January and love the low crowd levels. But, it's hit or miss with the weather. It was frigid some days on our visit this year. When it started to rain, it was downright miserable. But, we also had one day that was above 80 and sweaty hot.

So, if you do decide on January, pack everything! We used our jeans, jackets, gloves, ear muffs, rain slickers, shorts and swimsuits.

Hi everyone

January:

You might want to research more regarding the South American teen tour groups. Based on the 10 tour buses that left for a party and the remaining at the pool and the walks my estimate was over 1000 there at once just in our half of hotel. I LOVE POP Century but two years in a row now in Jan/Feb with them at the hotel (all values and some moderates) I'm either not returning that time of year or moving offsite. Screaming, yelling, running, slamming doors until 1 am and later. They push all the elevator buttons and block your path on narrow hotel walk. Last year I got no assist from Security and was trying to speak to them directly and received total disrespect back. Never used food courts because it was chaos, we drove off property to eat those nights we planned at resort. Pools, forget it. With shorter hours we were all back at the resort the same time, they completely took over the pool area and add some chanting to that as well. Buses, they fill several at a time (last year was a 1 hour wait to go to MK because they filled 3 in a row) and other than MK I drove to all parks to avoid them. This year I drove to all the parks by the end of the week.

In parks they block walkways, chant, sing, cheer, yell, push ..... if I saw them we turned the other way if we could. Not to say it can't be managed at the parks but they do impact the experience. The hotel there was no escape. I requested a room away from them but was refused with "we have to put families in the middle of them." ??? So I would add them to your CON list for Jan so you are prepared.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter