Best time of day to do Kualoa Ranch and Climbworks

pinkxray

DIS Veteran
I’m trying to finalize our plans for April. We will be staying at Aulani. We would like to do the 2 hours atv ride at Kualoa Ranch and zip line at Climbworks. We will do these on separate days. I have read the traffic can take awhile and wondering if there is a better time to do these activities?
We will most likely try to do things around the area on these 2 days. For instance, I wouldn’t mind stopping at Dole plantation, the coffee farm on the way, Waimea Valley and the north shore. Not sure how to divide all of these. We will be doing them on a Monday and Wed.

Thanks!

We will most likely try to do things around the area on these 2 days. For instance, I wouldn’t mind stopping at Dole plantation, the coffee farm on the way, Waimea Valley and the north shore. Not sure how to divide all of these. We will be doing them on a Monday and Wed.
None of these things are really on the way to Kualoa.

This image is 100% to scale and geographically precise.

I'd take the Green path one day and take the Red path the other day. I'd add the Byodo-In Temple to the Red path day.

We did a 9:00 Climb Works reservation and were told to arrive 30 minutes early. I thought the time was perfect. Getting going early was no problem as it didn’t seem early due to the time change. Afterward we stopped at the Kahuku Food Trucks and then made our way counterclockwise to the North Shore, stopping at Laniakea Beach to see the sea turtles and other points of interest before spending time in Haleiwa.

In my opinion, the “red path” is far more beautiful and enjoyable than the green path, but I think we did take the green route that day.

Thank you guys!
I think we will take green route Climbworks and do North Shore/ Waimea that day and take the red route to Kualoa. Maybe explore the windward side beaches and the temple that day.
Not sure how to fit in Dole. If we go I’d prefer to be there at opening so maybe we can just do it on one of relax days if we want something to do.

We always book our Kualoa Ranch tour on the weekend to avoid rush hour traffic. Sunday mid mornings are the best. There are several places to stop along the east end of the Island. We usually go eat dinner at Haleiwa Joe's restaurant while on that side of the Island.

Unfortunately my DD turns 5 on the Monday of our trip and that’s the minimum age for that tour. We will only be there 1 weekend which happens to be Easter so weekends won’t work for us.
We are planning Pearl Harbor on Saturday and renting a cabana on Easter.

Are these two experiences booked on ones own more readily/inexpensively than through Aulani? Are they “must dos” for first timers?

I believe it is less expensive to book excursions on your own. We’ve been to Oahu/Aulani once and are returning again in two weeks. We did Climbworks on our last trip with our then 13yo. It was a lot of fun and beautiful. But I wouldn’t view it as a must-do. We just looked to include a few extra excursions on our trip. We are planning to do the ATV/UTV Kualoa Ranch tour on this upcoming trip. Based on my research, I also wouldn’t view this as a must-do unless you are a big fan of the related tv shows or movies.

In my opinion, a visit to Pearl Harbor is a must-do. Also, the drive between the North Shore and Kailua is amazing, with stops at Lanikea Beach to see sea turtles, Laie Point, Kailua or Lanikai Beach (gorgeous), North Shore or Kahuku food trucks, Tropical Farms, etc. Too, on that drive I’d be sure to take H3 over or back—words cannot describe that beauty. I’d pick this day trip over any paid excursion.

Our favorite excursion was with Wild Side Specialty. It was a combination of swimming with dolphins, snorkeling and whale watching. But, it was quite expensive. I’ve learned on these boards that either the Polynesian Culture Center (not the luau) or Bishop Museum is strongly recommended. We plan to visit one of the two on our next trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter