Best Strategy for a trip in 2022? Lower Your Expectations

It has been enlightening to read other's posts about how they have been impacted by the present experience offered by Disney.

Animal watching after a hectic day in a park is always relaxing, so no matter what happens, we'll have that to look forward to.

This is basically what I did. After a very active BLT portion of the trip, the AKL savanna view portion involved no park time.....just relaxation and animal watching.

In the short term I don’t think Disney will feel the pain but in the long term I think they will unless they reverse course. Despite their advertisements, Disney relies on influencers, word of mouth, and positive press to make you feel like you are missing out if you don’t go or if you don’t bring your family to that “magical” trip. I think it will hurt the bottom line if it becomes one and done for many families.. Right now there is rebound travel and despite all the negative press many people really do have saved up vacation money and extra funds.

In the past I have primarily stayed deluxe with a few value or mod trips here and there. I’m now shortening those deluxe trips, staying at S/D, or adding value/mod days at beginning or end to lessen the cost. We are cutting our summer trip a bit and adding Universal and beach to it instead. Do I still enjoy my Disney time? Yes, to a point but you have to pay more and work harder for a similar or less experience than before. I’m not willing to do that for a long vacation. I’m also not as quick to recommend Disney trips to some friends and family (or only do so with caveats).

I don’t feel I have unreasonable expectations. I have been going to Disney for about 15 years and have always been able to accept the changes and go with the flow. This time feels different. Hope it doesn’t last.

Last edited:
All the recent angst goes away when Tron and Guardians opens.

I wish.

The current problems are now baked into the system of WDW. It would take a lot more than a couple of rides to fix the issues…

1). Having to get up at 7am every day to book rides now
2). Much higher cost for hotels and tickets (far outstripping inflation)
3). Having to pay for a system, G+, that was better before for free. G+ is $640 for our family of 5 for 8 nights)
4) Lack of Mousekeeping
5) Elimination of Magical Express (now an additional $160 for our family for the comparable Mears Express)
6). ….

We’re giving WDW another chance this July. My hope is that at least G+ and ETPE will help significantly reduce standing in lines versus this past summer 2021 when everything was standby🤮

Dan

You can see in my signature that I have been to Disney many times.

I even made my second trip on my current Annual Pass and was at Bay Lake Tower and then Animal Kingdom Lodge, Jambo House just a few days ago.

If you are going in 2022 you need to lower your expectations a lot.

I have used Touring Plans and been a rope dropper for many, many years.

I was often able to get 90 percent of my rides/shows done by lunchtime .....and wrapped up each day with a feeling of joy and happiness.

I was able to ride some rides more than once each day and sometimes would hop to a second or third park if I wanted to........I felt free as a bird.

This is not the case anymore.

For the moment, let's put aside the huge cost of resorts, food/beverage, Genie+, and ILL.

Even if G+ were free, it is an inferior product to FP+.

I can even accept the Park Pass requirement for the first park of the day, but park hopping at 2pm it like hitting my kneecaps with a baseball bat.

In the old days, I would often rope drop park number 1 and then hop to park number 2 sometime in the morning.

The present system makes each day feel like we have a national speed limit of 55 again and I am driving around with my parking brake engaged.

If we had little ones in our group, the focus of a typical day would be very different.....even only doing 3 or 4 rides with a child/grandchild, the day's enjoyment is derived from seeing the little ones have a wonderful day.

For years, I tried to maximize the number of days I could be at WDW with my AP.

I would stay off site and on site.

These days, it is not so much that the on site folks have a huge advantage compared to the past.......it is that the off site people barely get adequate leftovers by the time they can enter the park and/or buy ILL rides.

I have trips planned for April/May/Sept/Oct on this AP. (I do not like the super hot months)

I am not going to focus on max days at Disney this year.

I went in Dec 2021, Jan 2022 and have a trip with our daughter (a teacher) over the President's Day weekend.

I will have been 3 times on this AP.......I feel I have broken even on the cost.

I will be cancelling the rest of the trips I had on the books for later this year.

That money and time will be spent elsewhere.

Although some of the environment has been impacted by Covid...... a large part of the reduced experience is due to decisions made by management.

Now......I have not said much about the nickel and diming that really adds up now.

At a value resort, a couple on a trip has to pay an extra $47 each day just to park and use Genie+.

When you add the impact of a diminished experience with the very high cost, the value of the experience has been greatly reduced.

Look......I am a Disney fan.

Disney, Coke, a Big Mac, are all part of a truly American experience. I can not imagine life as we know it if they were to all disappear.

Disney has very good customer service.....if the IT situation was not so mediocre, I would say Disney has some of the best customer service of any company.

However, at this time, the overall experience requires a lot of money, a lot a planning, and each day has a lot of chaos caused by the unpredictability of getting a LL or ILL,........and to be under the gun to compete at 7am for a seat on a ride is not relaxing or enjoyable.
And having my face buried in the phone a good part of the day does not add to my enjoyment either.

I composed this because I saw some small headlines about Disney guests not being really thrilled right now.....I thought I may have been the only one that felt this way.......but there is now a bit of rumbling going on........and social media has the ability to provide us to look at the good and the bad comments.

The experience has changed for the worse.

They better improve it substantially and quickly.

I think many of the 2022 visitors may be so unhappy, they may not return or postpone future trips.

In a way, Disney has messed up my Happy Place................and I am a bit sad about that.

In all seriousness, OP -- this title really caught my eye. I'm at work, but plan go to back and read all of these posts.
We've been to Disney 3 times since Covid and wow. Just wow.

Us DISsers aren't the only ones who feel this way, just take a look at the recent reviews on Trip Advisor.
Wow!

I just went over there and looked at the recent reviews......not the ones from 2 and 3 years ago.....the recent reviews give a no holds barred idea of how displeased many people are with the present guest experience.

I was blown away by the low numbers and the comments........I had no idea so many people were upset about how things are right now at WDW. Many of the things we have all commented on have been mentioned there......but with a bit more outrage!

Wow!

I just went over there and looked at the recent reviews......not the ones from 2 and 3 years ago.....the recent reviews give a no holds barred idea of how displeased many people are with the present guest experience.

I was blown away by the low numbers and the comments........I had no idea so many people were upset about how things are right now at WDW. Many of the things we have all commented on have been mentioned there......but with a bit more outrage!
You inspired me to take a look as well. Not good at all. I wonder if there’s any chance Disney makes changes or will they continue down this bad path?

We have a trip coming up this spring and I think my expectations are effectively lowered. It's sad though, we'll be spending more than we did on our last trip but I'm nowhere near as excited. Loss of DME, implementation of Genie+/LL, the rigidity of park reservations and park hopping rules, combined with some factors (character dining, true character meets, Hoop Dee Doo still not open).... it just feels LESS in a lot of ways.

I'm managing expectations because we're already committed and I'm CERTAIN we will have a good time - just maybe not as amazing as the last trip. I mean, last trip I CRIED on the ME back to the airport. I am a grown-a$$ woman and bawled my eyes out that it was over. I just don't see that happening this time. Maybe I'm wrong, and I am keeping an open mind and realistic expectations.

But if Disney fails to wow this time, I just don't see us clamoring to come back anytime soon. For the amount we spend on a Disney vacation, it's not worth it if it's not next-level exciting.

DH and I just got back from a week at WDW. we had a great time but my biggest complaint was the CROWDS! We picked January for cool weather and low crowds but some days in MK were unbearable. I know there is a lot of pent up demand, esp international travelers, but when will it end?

Have to agree with this post. We have stayed away due to being pretty Covid-cautious but planned to go sometime in the next 6 months now that our kids are also able to be vaccinated. I went to start booking and I was flabbergasted at the increases in costs of *everything* while offering so much less than has previously been available. I kept trying to rearrange things to fit the budget and not feel like we were missing something, but then I'd hop on here and read peoples' experiences and it seems like something really is missing.

I do not want to have to get up at 7 AM every day of my vacation, or plan rides the entire day in the parks, or be on my phone the whole day, or take a chance of standing in a 2 hour standby line with two young kids. And I'm not paying double for that. So now we're planning our first Universal trip instead.

And I don't know, maybe there is enough of a market at these rates that they won't miss previous "regulars" like us, who prioritized an annual weeklong Disney trip every year, but something definitely needs to change for us to do that again. I foresee future trips looking more like 2-3 days, maybe staying off-site instead of on, the way things currently are.

Everything you say is the same as it was in 2021 and 2020. Is there something new about 2022?
Actually....... 2020 was not the same as 2022.

......and 2021 from January to mid October was not the same as 2022.

The Genie+ platform went live in October.

I was there when it went live.....and then returned in December for 4 park days.

I withheld a deep and thoughtful judgement from Oct to Dec because I felt 3 things were worth considering-

1) Rollout and adjustment in Oct was bound to cause a bit of friction......I could forgive that
2) Thanksgiving timeframe is not a normal time......lots of 10's........I would not judge things based on that.
3) Christmas time was also a time that I felt I could give them a pass.

BUT- I returned in mid January (2 weeks ago) and it was apparent that the Genie+ way of doing things is a vastly inferior product to FP+.

Add all the other negatives that have been outlined in these multiple pages of experiences to the impact if Genie+ on the guest experience.........and that gives many a conclusion that they will cherish their prior experiences and will look to explore other destinations and enjoy those experiences.

Disney's ranking in many family's mind has just dropped quite a few rungs on the ladder.

Obviously UOR will benefit as well as other tourist destinations both domestic and off our coasts.

Look....there may certainly be a whole different wave of folks that replace those that have left or drastically reduced visits to WDW.....but time will tell how abruptly we cut back.....and how long it takes to be replaced.

..................and if I had 15K/20K/30K tied up in DVC right now, I would be very. very upset.

At least DVC seems to be enjoying price appreciation and is appealing to new buyers on the resale market

We have a trip coming up this spring and I think my expectations are effectively lowered. It's sad though, we'll be spending more than we did on our last trip but I'm nowhere near as excited. Loss of DME, implementation of Genie+/LL, the rigidity of park reservations and park hopping rules, combined with some factors (character dining, true character meets, Hoop Dee Doo still not open).... it just feels LESS in a lot of ways.

I'm managing expectations because we're already committed and I'm CERTAIN we will have a good time - just maybe not as amazing as the last trip. I mean, last trip I CRIED on the ME back to the airport. I am a grown-a$$ woman and bawled my eyes out that it was over. I just don't see that happening this time. Maybe I'm wrong, and I am keeping an open mind and realistic expectations.

But if Disney fails to wow this time, I just don't see us clamoring to come back anytime soon. For the amount we spend on a Disney vacation, it's not worth it if it's not next-level exciting.

Hello!
If you go in with average expectations and recognize you will have some glitches when you have heavy crowds using Genie+ in the app and probably need to visit guest experience team for recovery, you will still enjoy have fun and make memories that you treasure.

You sound eyes wide open which helps. I was overly optimistic during our nine day Thanksgiving trip in 2021. And while I knew there would be challenges I too had my annual Disney crying experience… However, it was crying in the Magic Kingdom out of pure exhaustion and frustration with yet another set of Genie+ glitches that kept me from securing a LL reservation as I watched the times we needed go bye bye… This was Tuesday and we had arrived Friday so after a number of days with issues already, I was now at my wits end and let out a big F bomb while “enjoying” breakfast pastries and Starbucks with my in-laws and children while watching the castle from the little yellow and white umbrella tables in front of the Plaza. Yikes!

Not the emotional Disney moment I was hoping for.

Despite daily trips to GET during this trip we still made happy memories that we treasure and enjoy reminiscing about. You will too - as a Disney fan you will - especially knowing things are different and have potential challenges. So yes we managed a good time as we always do.

However, we still have a long laundry list of complaints, as we believe they are indeed ruining the guest experience in lieu of making more money.

Because the guest experience is NOT important to them. Only money is important.

If the guest experience were important would:
  1. We have to get up every day on vacation before 7 AM to get G+, book lightning lanes and ILLs - Even on Epcot days or planned late park arrival days when you actually can sleep in??
  2. Would we have to book ADRs and CP packages etc 60 days in advance at 6 AM central or 5:30 AM central or whatever the H time they decide they want to release them as we learn sometimes they open “earlier” without warning. Planning our workday around this “booking event” to only deal with Disney glitches long after we should’ve had them booked and now we are late to our meetings or rescheduling meetings or just have to give up on the coveted reservation.
  3. Would we deal with crappy glitches in the genie plus app while you’re trying to enjoy a park day with our family but spending more time in the GET lines or the alternative… just give up all together and settle for the errors and less ride options despite paying for them and doing everything “correctly”
  4. Would we settle for one day of housekeeping at Riviera while paying 700+ per night, rack rate on nine nights? Even after you told them your daughter vomited all over the bed?
  5. Would we deal with buying ILLs for THE Premium Attraction that constantly goes down and when you finally get to ride it you only get half the experience after paying $60 for your family to ride it? Missing both pre-shows. And GET has the gall to argue with you before giving you a chance to try again for the full experience.
  6. Would we deal with constant breakdowns on other rides from Test Track to Haunted mansion to splash to tower of terror?
  7. Would we have to resort to paying for ubers because unreliable Disney transportation cannot get us to their own scheduled EE rope drop lines early enough to avoid long attraction waits in the 30 whopping minutes we get early access. Or to bring us back to our resort reliably without long waits at the bus, Skyliner, monorail after long days in parks.
  8. Would people walk a mile plus - before even entering the park - for a year and a half without trams that are open air transport - Safer than any other transportation for transmission of Covid?
  9. Would we lose the only reliable Disney transportation we had in the MagicalExpress To all of the sudden get shown new options for vans, limos etc at higher prices that we can add to our packages - oh lucky us!
  10. Would we pay so much more for so much stress and so much less?

No - the guest experience is NOT important to Josh D’Amaro, Bob Chapek nor any of the decision makers at Disney. Deni recently suggested that Disney decision makers should have to do all of the things that we do when we plan a trip/take a trip and perhaps they would better understand the new guest experience. I thought that was a fantastic idea!

I am happy to pay higher prices, if I believed cast members were actually being paid a living wage and treated fairly. This is not the case based on many accounts including Roy Disney’s granddaughter.

I am happy to pay for good service and a good product. We try do so at home buying local, shopping small/local when we can and trying to spend money where people are earning living wages. We book our trips through Dreams because we listen to their podcasts and have for years and believe it’s important To patronize places/people that you get value from and provide you with good service. We are not perfect in this regard everywhere, but we are willing to pay more, When we believe in the product, the experience or the business.

Genie+ Is a huge symptom of a larger problem at Disney that they do not care about having a good product nor a good guest experience. Just the guest’s dollars.

And until we stop buying this subpar stuff they sell us without complaint they will not care.

Hard to say all of that about my Happy Place but it has really bummed me out.

Hello!
If you go in with average expectations and recognize you will have some glitches when you have heavy crowds using Genie+ in the app and probably need to visit guest experience team for recovery, you will still enjoy have fun and make memories that you treasure.

You sound eyes wide open which helps. I was overly optimistic during our nine day Thanksgiving trip in 2021. And while I knew there would be challenges I too had my annual Disney crying experience… However, it was crying in the Magic Kingdom out of pure exhaustion and frustration with yet another set of Genie+ glitches that kept me from securing a LL reservation as I watched the times we needed go bye bye… This was Tuesday and we had arrived Friday so after a number of days with issues already, I was now at my wits end and let out a big F bomb while “enjoying” breakfast pastries and Starbucks with my in-laws and children while watching the castle from the little yellow and white umbrella tables in front of the Plaza. Yikes!

Not the emotional Disney moment I was hoping for.

Despite daily trips to GET during this trip we still made happy memories that we treasure and enjoy reminiscing about. You will too - as a Disney fan you will - especially knowing things are different and have potential challenges. So yes we managed a good time as we always do.

However, we still have a long laundry list of complaints, as we believe they are indeed ruining the guest experience in lieu of making more money.

Because the guest experience is NOT important to them. Only money is important.

If the guest experience were important would:
  1. We have to get up every day on vacation before 7 AM to get G+, book lightning lanes and ILLs - Even on Epcot days or planned late park arrival days when you actually can sleep in??
  2. Would we have to book ADRs and CP packages etc 60 days in advance at 6 AM central or 5:30 AM central or whatever the H time they decide they want to release them as we learn sometimes they open “earlier” without warning. Planning our workday around this “booking event” to only deal with Disney glitches long after we should’ve had them booked and now we are late to our meetings or rescheduling meetings or just have to give up on the coveted reservation.
  3. Would we deal with crappy glitches in the genie plus app while you’re trying to enjoy a park day with our family but spending more time in the GET lines or the alternative… just give up all together and settle for the errors and less ride options despite paying for them and doing everything “correctly”
  4. Would we settle for one day of housekeeping at Riviera while paying 700+ per night, rack rate on nine nights? Even after you told them your daughter vomited all over the bed?
  5. Would we deal with buying ILLs for THE Premium Attraction that constantly goes down and when you finally get to ride it you only get half the experience after paying $60 for your family to ride it? Missing both pre-shows. And GET has the gall to argue with you before giving you a chance to try again for the full experience.
  6. Would we deal with constant breakdowns on other rides from Test Track to Haunted mansion to splash to tower of terror?
  7. Would we have to resort to paying for ubers because unreliable Disney transportation cannot get us to their own scheduled EE rope drop lines early enough to avoid long attraction waits in the 30 whopping minutes we get early access. Or to bring us back to our resort reliably without long waits at the bus, Skyliner, monorail after long days in parks.
  8. Would people walk a mile plus - before even entering the park - for a year and a half without trams that are open air transport - Safer than any other transportation for transmission of Covid?
  9. Would we lose the only reliable Disney transportation we had in the MagicalExpress To all of the sudden get shown new options for vans, limos etc at higher prices that we can add to our packages - oh lucky us!
  10. Would we pay so much more for so much stress and so much less?

No - the guest experience is NOT important to Josh D’Amaro, Bob Chapek nor any of the decision makers at Disney. Deni recently suggested that Disney decision makers should have to do all of the things that we do when we plan a trip/take a trip and perhaps they would better understand the new guest experience. I thought that was a fantastic idea!

I am happy to pay higher prices, if I believed cast members were actually being paid a living wage and treated fairly. This is not the case based on many accounts including Roy Disney’s granddaughter.

I am happy to pay for good service and a good product. We try do so at home buying local, shopping small/local when we can and trying to spend money where people are earning living wages. We book our trips through Dreams because we listen to their podcasts and have for years and believe it’s important To patronize places/people that you get value from and provide you with good service. We are not perfect in this regard everywhere, but we are willing to pay more, When we believe in the product, the experience or the business.

Genie+ Is a huge symptom of a larger problem at Disney that they do not care about having a good product nor a good guest experience. Just the guest’s dollars.

And until we stop buying this subpar stuff they sell us without complaint they will not care.

Hard to say all of that about my Happy Place but it has really bummed me out.
We need a "slow clap" reaction button.

A sobering thread to read. Seems as if the profits lost by Covid have meant that they have lurched back in the other direction (i.e. cost minimisation), perhaps too far. I know a lot of people think Disney execs only care about money and even if that is true, then they are not so naïve as to ignore guest sentiment. ILL is relatively new as is Genie+ and I am sure they are working very hard on the tech glitches. That said - the heart of the problem seems to be the philosophical decision to have different levels of guests - onsite v offiste and ILL v standby - and they have taken that to extremes now. They also appear comfortable with the idea of having people on their phones 24/7, even before they enter the park, even as they wake up. Maybe that is just built in, as part of the future. They want total knowledge over who is doing what and when and they want to keep you in the parks as long as possible. They will have to look carefully at where to adjust this. Maybe Genie Plus bookings either from park opening so people can enjoy breakfast (but then some people lose a benefit) or a reversion to some sort of Fastpass+ so that at least people can wake up at 7, enjoy breakfast and just go and have fun. I am not looking forward to looking at my phone all the time. In fact, I may even forego Genie + for that reason. I worry about constant FOMO.

Just popped over there...Wow. Glad to see it's not just us. All this goodwill and the reputation they spent decades refining is vanishing in the name of the almighty dollar.
wow, those reviews are savage.

One of the comments: 'A 5 night stay in the Polynesian Village Bora Bora Bungalows is more expensive than an all expenses paid trip to actual Fiji !!!!! '

Last edited:
I am not looking forward to looking at my phone all the time. In fact, I may even forego Genie + for that reason.

It's really not that much time - three passes more "being on phone" than with FP+ really. Select pass, place phone back in bag for an hour or two until it's time to do it again. Unless you've only ever used the old paper FP or check ride wait times by walking up to the ride and finding out instead of using the app, you won't even notice that slight increase. People who are refreshing constantly like madmen all day hoping to get a something better to pop up are doing that to themselves. You can successfully use Genie+ with little phone time.

It's really not that much time - three passes more "being on phone" than with FP+ really. Select pass, place phone back in bag for an hour or two until it's time to do it again. Unless you've only ever used the old paper FP or check ride wait times by walking up to the ride and finding out instead of using the app, you won't even notice that slight increase. People who are refreshing constantly like madmen all day hoping to get a something better to pop up are doing that to themselves. You can successfully use Genie+ with little phone time.

Yes I suspect it will require a bit of self control. But it is the broader point - I have paid for Genie+ and it isn't cheap for a family of 4. You want to get value. And it does seem, to an extent, especially at busier times, you need to be up early and you have to keep checking your phone to get the best slots. There is that FOMO. And also seems amazing, despite the massive cost of getting in and the extra cost of Genie+, that you still might have to pay again to get on the elite attractions. Whether or not that will have a detrimental impact on Disney's guest satisfaction - I suppose time will tell.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter