Best Rollator for purchase

MaryKatesMom

DIS Veteran
After reading replies and some wonderful information here I’ve decided to purchase a Rollator. Sorting through the Internet on what I should be looking for is getting bewildering. I’m taller and don’t need it for general mobility and walking around but I’m taller and definitely need to sit often.

What should I be looking for? Any good recommendations. Any good resources?

I did a ton of research and ended up with the Drive Nitro Medical Euro-style Rollator Walker. It comes in 3 height sizes and stays upright even when folded. Has 10 inch wheels, so it handles outdoors better than small wheels.

I'm 5'10, and I'm happy with the standard one. Handles are easily adjusted for height, one- hand fold, and comes fully assembled. Brake cables are internal, so they don't get caught on things. I don't use one in everyday life, but Disney is a lot more walking than usual, and my doctor doesn't want me standing that long, which is tough with fireworks, bus lines. Etc.

Good luck!!

My mom has started using a rollator. She tried out a couple of different ones borrowed from friends before deciding to get a Hugo. I think it's Hugo Elite. She isn't particularly tall, though, but it is adjustable. Her PT cautioned against the "upright walker" style because they can tip easily.

I took my mother to the medical equipment department of our medical center for hers. They have personnel to help you find the right one for you. Hers only cost about 79 dollars and she loves it. They had other ones with "outdoor" wheels if you are outdoors alot. Maybe a medical equipment place will help you.

This is the rollator that I use daily. It is expensive; however, I have used it daily for approximately 10 years.

https://smile.amazon.com/Drive-Medi...121216&sprefix=drive+rollator,aps,627&sr=8-14
It is adjustable for various heights. I am wide-bodied, and I have no problems with the weight or width requirements. The best part, to me, is that it folds completely flat. If you need to use it on Disney transportation, or store it in the trunk of a car, there will not be any difficulties with the handles sticking up.

If you want additional accessories for convenience, I use a bottle/cup holder that attaches to the side (on an upright metal bar).

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F1JMSYM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I also have attached hooks that I use when I go grocery shopping or take out the garbage. They are meant for strollers, but they work perfectly for rollators.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0057NUK2I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B002MXP3SM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have the “tall” version of the Drive Nitro. The handles extend much taller. I have very long legs and this allows me to be able to stand tall while I walk without the bent over look. I love the larger wheels, as well.

Here is the one I purchased. I was pricey but I now think I can make it all day in the park which I haven't done in the last few years.

https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Medical-Nitro-Rollator-Walker/dp/B00QFYS3TK/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=Drive+Nitro+Medical+Euro-style+Rollator+Walker&qid=1640127914&sr=8-5&th=1&pldnSite=1

I searched far and wide for a cover so I could put it on an airplane to no avail. My problem was I couldn't get adequate information from American on whether they could baggage check it all the way through to Orlando. Online they had a good description on how to gate check it but I learned my lesson flying through Charlotte in October. DON'T GATE CHECK anything. I never have less than an hour connection BUT if your plane is late getting in you could be moving as fast as possible from the end of terminal E to the end of terminal C and SOME OF THE MOVING SIDEWALKS WERE NOT WORKING. It was miserable. I missed my priority seating so had a long line in front of me to board and was sweating and breathing so heavily the flight attendant was concerned and brought me water.

Anyway, yes they can baggage check it.

I'll let you know how I make out. It came fully assembled and easy to use.

When I'm at Disney, I normally rent a ECV through Gold Mobility. However, I recently purchased a Rollator and used it on a recent cruise. It was a God send! It was much easier to use than the walker that I rented for a previous cruise, plus my shoulders and back didn't ache each night. It also helped me with my balance when the ship was a little rocky (much better than just using a cane). Due to my stature, I ordered the one on this link. However, they do have other size options.

OasisSpace Heavy Duty Upright Walker

I agree with previous posters that the best thing to do would be to go to an DME store that specializes in mobility devices to try and find the best fit for you.

Here is the one I purchased. I was pricey but I now think I can make it all day in the park which I haven't done in the last few years.

https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Medical-Nitro-Rollator-Walker/dp/B00QFYS3TK/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=Drive+Nitro+Medical+Euro-style+Rollator+Walker&qid=1640127914&sr=8-5&th=1&pldnSite=1

I searched far and wide for a cover so I could put it on an airplane to no avail. My problem was I couldn't get adequate information from American on whether they could baggage check it all the way through to Orlando. Online they had a good description on how to gate check it but I learned my lesson flying through Charlotte in October. DON'T GATE CHECK anything. I never have less than an hour connection BUT if your plane is late getting in you could be moving as fast as possible from the end of terminal E to the end of terminal C and SOME OF THE MOVING SIDEWALKS WERE NOT WORKING. It was miserable. I missed my priority seating so had a long line in front of me to board and was sweating and breathing so heavily the flight attendant was concerned and brought me water.

Actually, when you gate check any mobility device, it should be brought right back to the aircraft door for you after you land - even at layovers. That way you have full use of your device between flights.

If a gate agent tries to do you a “favor” and gate check any mobility device of yours through to your final destination, just politely decline, and let them know that you require the use of your device during your layover.

Actually, when you gate check any mobility device, it should be brought right back to the aircraft door for you after you land - even at layovers. That way you have full use of your device between flights.

If a gate agent tries to do you a “favor” and gate check any mobility device of yours through to your final destination, just politely decline, and let them know that you require the use of your device during your layover.

For those that are looking for something to keep your mobility device safe, here is our solution:

After the first trip with my Mom's Rollator being destroyed by the airlines (seat ripped and leg bent), I found this double stroller bag in the baby section of Target.
https://www.target.com/p/jl-childre...gle-double-strollers/-/A-12403813#lnk=sametab
The one we got just had"GATE CHECK" in large white letters on it and a spot for you to put your name. I added in large letters "Mobility Device" and "Handle with Care". After I got my Mom settled on the plane, I went back to the airplane door and folded her walker and put it in the bag for it to be gate checked. We have used this bag for many trips and have not had any issues with any damage to the cables, seat or legs/wheels.

That's the exact rollator I purchased, and it just handled 218,000+ steps at Disney as an absolute breeze. I was stunned at how easy it was and how little pain I had compared to our last trip. Gate checked it and used it though all the disney lines with no problem. They asked if I could transfer, then had it waiting at the exit each time. Life changing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter