Best resort options when you aren't pool people?

OKWFan88

Mouseketeer
Hubby and I are not pool people and we have no kids. So, we wouldn't choose a resort based on the pools. If you take that out of the equation when selecting a resort, what resorts would you choose to stay?
We are looking to branch out from our usual OKW/SSR stays. We love OKW, laid back vibe, and the rooms are HUGE, and when the boats are back running, quick boat ride to Disney Springs. Olivia's is fantastic. We've also enjoyed SSR because of the walk to Disney Springs is super short when staying in preferred section and the refurbished rooms are great. We are big foodies and love to eat. Any recommendations? Thanks :)

Our favorite dvc resort is BWV. We mostly travel as 2 adults who enjoy the pool, but it isn’t a priority. We enjoy being so close to Epcot, love having coffee on the boardwalk, riding the skyliner and just the feel of BWV overall. If we do visit a pool at BWV, we visit the quiet pool - it is perfection.

Hubby and I are not pool people and we have no kids. So, we wouldn't choose a resort based on the pools. If you take that out of the equation when selecting a resort, what resorts would you choose to stay?
We are looking to branch out from our usual OKW/SSR stays. We love OKW, laid back vibe, and the rooms are HUGE, and when the boats are back running, quick boat ride to Disney Springs. Olivia's is fantastic. We've also enjoyed SSR because of the walk to Disney Springs is super short when staying in preferred section and the refurbished rooms are great. We are big foodies and love to eat. Any recommendations? Thanks :)
I think you're going to have a hard time beating your two favorite resorts based on your expectations. The Crescent Lake resorts are convenient and have all of Epcot as an alternative dining venue BUT both BWV and BCV are in need of a refreshment and neither one has those pull-down sofa beds.

A monorail resort will give you access to a lot of dining options BUT room sizes vary considerably from the cramped BLT studios to the spacious PVB studios. And if you go for a 1BR, PVB is off of the list entirely.

Are you open to doing a split stay? Maybe try a new resort but end the trip with one of your old favorites? At least you would get a glimpse of what it's like at a new resort without dealing with FOMO because you miss your old standby resorts.

I think you're going to have a hard time beating your two favorite resorts based on your expectations. The Crescent Lake resorts are convenient and have all of Epcot as an alternative dining venue BUT both BWV and BCV are in need of a refreshment and neither one has those pull-down sofa beds.

A monorail resort will give you access to a lot of dining options BUT room sizes vary considerably from the cramped BLT studios to the spacious PVB studios. And if you go for a 1BR, PVB is off of the list entirely.

Are you open to doing a split stay? Maybe try a new resort but end the trip with one of your old favorites? At least you would get a glimpse of what it's like at a new resort without dealing with FOMO because you miss your old standby resorts.
Doing a split stay is not an issue. We usually go to Disney several times every year for at least five to six days each trip.

I mean all the resorts have good pools, so what other amenities are you after? You already mentioned the two most "laid back" resorts. You'll want to stick with OKW and SSR for the laid back feel. Outside of that I think BWV has the most "Adult" feel, and the most adult amenities around and near it.

We are also 2 adults with no kids. We don’t use pools. We stayed many many times at WL, because husband LOVED it. I always felt isolated, didn’t like having to take buses to all the parks (with exception of MK if we chose to take the boat) and I felt the eating options were limited. Once I got him to try the EPCOT area hotels, that is now our favorite area. Lots of eating options and with park hoppers, we like to go back into EPCOT sometimes in the evening to eat. We have stayed at Yacht Club and Boardwalk Inn. We enjoy both. We are going in November but due to the ridiculous Disney property prices, we are staying at the Dolphin. We are getting a King Alcove room for about 1/2 the price (including daily fee and parking fee) for what Disney wants. If we like it, maybe it will become a new favorite.

And when we had (pre-covid) park hoppers and the Epcot monorail was running, we would walk through EPCOT and take the monorail to MK.

Last edited:
My husband and I are also not pool people. However, I enjoy resting by the pool with a soft drink and a book at times, LOL.
When we picked a resort, the pool doesn't even enter our thoughts. We know where we like to be and the resort amenities we like. We stay at POFQ or POR and love the ambience of each one. I guess I think it is more important to check our what IS important to you and forget the pools in your decision. :))

If you are big foodies, I highly recommend any of the resorts in the EP area (YC/BC/BCV, BWI/BWV, even Swan/Dolphin). You will be within walking distance of all of the restaurants at the EP resorts and EP WS. Swan/Dolphin has some of the best restaurants in WDW, IMHO. Though I prefer BC/BCV/YC, you can't go wrong with any of those resorts.

Have you thought of Gran Destino? I haven't stayed there, because my son is a pool person. It looks like it has great food options and an upscale feel. Only bus or car transportation though.

Putting my vote in for the Riv. Wonderful rooms. Skyliner to both Epcot and Studios. We love OKW. Finally getting around to trying SSR this December in a split stay with OKW, SSR and the last day of our trip staying in a TPV at CR just for the grandtinker.

With it being just the two of you, BWV puts you within walking distance of the 2 most adult theme parks. The Boardwalk itself is a mini Disney Springs.

But you also mentioned refurbished rooms so perhaps as @Tigger's ally suggested, the RIV is a better option.

I would recommend BLT (Bay Lake Towers). You can walk to MK, take the monorail to Polynesian & Floridian. And boat over to Wilderness. Lots to do in that little area.
Animal Kingdom lodge is great for food and to enjoy the animals off your balcony.

I would say the best resorts disregarding the pool are coincidentally, and ironically in the case of this thread, the ones with the best pools. 😝 I’m referring particularly to Beach and Yacht Club. Great food at Yacht Club and close to the great food on the Boardwalk and Swan/Dolphin.Hearing out your Disney Springs enjoyment, this might be a good alternative.

We usually go with DD & DSIL. Our favorite resort prior to joining DVC was POR Mansions. We also enjoy AKL for it's restaurants and the animal viewing, but it is isolated. WIL is nice but it's also isolated. Last year we stayed 10 nights at the RR and loved it. Sky Liner provides easy, quick access to BW, EC & HS. This November we're trying out SSR preferred room.

We stay at the Beach Club ONLY for their pool. Extra pluses are that you can walk to epcot and HS.

Have you thought of Gran Destino? I haven't stayed there, because my son is a pool person. It looks like it has great food options and an upscale feel. Only bus or car transportation though.

I’ve been at GDT for all of 2 days and if they took just the tower out of CSR and stuck it at Crescent Lake I would never stay anywhere else over there. If we are just comparing the actual hotel experience, Gran Destino blows YC & BC out of the water and it’s not even a contest imo. Obviously it’s all very subjective but imo it’s much more upscale feeling for adults without kids, a lobby on par with the best deluxe lobbies, King rooms as an actual bookable category instead of requests you have to hope for, better food options on site, etc. And I was just at YC a month ago so it’s fresh enough that I can fairly compare the 2. Literally the only thing BC/YC have going for them by comparison if you don’t care about SAB is the walking to 2 parks. The only thing I really miss at GDT is having a balcony tbh. Transportation, the one thing I really worried about, has been great though of course nothing beats walking to parks.

Hmmm….how about Wilderness Lodge. Relaxing area. We love taking boats to MK and other MK resorts which have some excellent restaurants and lounges.

Our ideal location is at the back entrance of Epcot. Even staying at BC, I am more likely to be located at the pool bar then the pool. If you're DVC I'd go with BC, BW, BL or WL - in that order. If you don't mind spending a bit of cash then I'd pop for the Dolphin. Those places are based on Epcot - not the pool or any park except one that holds the WS.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter