Best rain gear for parks? Sturdy and portable

JennyMP03

DIS Veteran
We bought the $1 disposable ponchos from Target's camping section on our last trip. While they were perfect for carrying in our small backpack, they were so thin that the wind just blew them into the air and they did very little for keeping us dry from the rain.

I'd like something a bit sturdier, but I'm also hoping it would fit into our little backpack. Any ideas? Thank you!

Just buy the souvenir ones if and when you need them. Yes, they're more expensive, but they're sturdier and Disney will replace them for free if they rip. Bring gallon size Ziploc bags to store them in when they're wet. (Well, until you can get back to your room and air them out so they don't develop mold or mildew.)

Just buy the souvenir ones if and when you need them. Yes, they're more expensive, but they're sturdier and Disney will replace them for free if they rip. Bring gallon size Ziploc bags to store them in when they're wet. (Well, until you can get back to your room and air them out so they don't develop mold or mildew.)

I have bought the WDW ponchos and we went went them for several years. I've had problems with them ripping in the neck area. I've had CMs replace them for free and I've had some want to see a receipt, which I normally do not keep. Overall though I've been pleased enough with the poncho, but last month at Bass Pro I found a poncho I'm going to try out in October. It's brand is Wahalia and it's seems to be made out of the same stuff Frogg Toggs are made of, that papery stuff. I don't know how well they will work, I'll have my WDW poncho just in case.

I just bought the Timber Creek ones from Academy - I just pack them in my suitcase and bring them out on the days when it calls for rain. If you aren't putting them in your backpack then ask for a small bag from one of the gift shops - they fold up and fit in them nicely.

I've been interested in the Coleman rain jackets they sell in the camping section at Walmart. They roll up small and I think they have a little pouch for carrying. I check them out when I'm at the store but haven't bought them yet.

I've had CMs replace them for free and I've had some want to see a receipt, which I normally do not keep.

It seems strange that they would want to see the receipt since they say Disney Parks on them, and were therefore obviously purchased at Disney, unless there's a time limit for returning them, which I've never heard of.

Thanks for your advice, all! I may check out the Timber Creek ponchos at Academy or otherwise wait until we're at Disney and get the ponchos there if needed. Can anyone give me an estimate on how much Disney ponchos cost?

We bought a ton of the dollar store ones for our trip last August. They were ok, but one use only. We caved and got the Disney ones...they were $8 and change I think? Times 5 people, it was still pretty reasonable, and we still have them to bring along for next may just in case!

We have the Coleman ones from Walmart, and they are very sturdy, and long enough for my tall sons.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

I hate the $1 ponchos (too much like plastic bags in that Florida humidity). We've gotten the heavier-duty ponchos from Home Depot ($4 each) and they've lasted for 5 trips so far.

I had some of those $1 ponchos and they were :sad2: The Coleman brand is pretty good from walmart. DS used one and it didn't rip and he can use it next year. A first for him. :rotfl:

It seems strange that they would want to see the receipt since they say Disney Parks on them, and were therefore obviously purchased at Disney, unless there's a time limit for returning them, which I've never heard of.

Yeah I wondered if it was a time limit thing too. I didn't have the receipt because I had bought it a couple of months before that. So I don't know if they would've honored even if I'd had the receipt because it was probably 4 months old, though I had only worn it twice.

We got Frogg togg ones for our trip that we just returned from. They are light-weight and breathable and compact when folded. We had both regular ones and their emergency ones. Both worked great - and the emergency ponchos were only about $7 each on Amazon. we hit a great deal and got the regular ones for about that price too. They are so much sturdier than the Dollar Store ones.

I'm 5'1 and dh is 6'1 and they fit both of us. The kids used their old Disney ponchos.

My family still uses the ones my parents bought at the Totes outlet over twenty years ago. We love having different colors because that way each person is responsible for their own, which prevents a lot of conflict. Some people in my family don't want to spend the time to fold their poncho so that the inside stays dry and/or want to spend the time at night making sure it drys completely before packing for the next day. We just carry them in gallon ziplock bags.

I had Dollar Store ones when a monsoon descended right after Andrea in June. It would have been useless. So we grabbed the Mickey ponchos...very impressed. I think they're made of some magical material. I even donned it at home one day during a torrential downpour when one of our downspouts fell off and I had to run out and put it back on. Kept me totally dry, even in sideways rain!

In the past, we've either bought heavy duty camping ponchos at Target, or hardcore camping ones from REI (not sure of the manufacturer). Investing some cash in a good poncho is a must - they're cheaper than if you get stuck buying park ones, but they are sturdy enough to be reused over multiple trips.

We bought Coleman ponchos, which is a popular camping brand. You can find them in the camping section of any store like Dick's, Cabela's, or Gander Mountain but we found them at Big Lots for $5 a piece! Really significant difference in quality from the $1 one, easy to carry around, and priceless once the rain hit. We were able to ball them up and bring them home but at $5 each, wouldn't have been too upset if we needed to leave them behind. We certainly got our money's worth!

I prefer wearing a jacket instead of a poncho because I can easily wear it for cold as well as wet. I use a jacket from Campmor.com (item 77688 ). It's a sturdy nylon shell that packs in it's own bag (roll don't stuff for less wrinkles). It has long underarm zippers for ventilation, a hood with a velcro adjustment on top (keeps it out of your eyes), adjustable cuffs, and other details such as zipper chin padding.

The cost was about $35. They have other cheaper options too.

If you're expecting a monsoon, they also have matching rain pants.

My theory is the more rain wear you take and the more you spend on it, the less chance you'll need to use it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter