Best plan for June visit?

DreamingoftheCastle

Earning My Ears
My family (me, DH, DD 22, DD18, DS16) has been to Disney World multiple times and know it well! We are visiting Disneyland in California for the first time this June. (Well, I visited once when growing up, but that was when California Adventure was a parking lot!)

We are thinking of either doing 3 days with a park hopper...one day in each park and then a third day to hit anything we missed/wanted to repeat. Or we were thinking of doing a two day ticket and buying Genie+ for both days.

I am not a fan of Genie+ in Disney World and do not use it, but heard that it's better at Disneyland. We are happy to rope drop and go until park close. Not planning on any table service meals. Definitely plan to do the nighttime shows at both parks.

Thoughts/suggestions from those with experience would be appreciated! :)

Just be aware of Grad Nite and After Hour Events in June. They usually cause the nighttime event schedule to change a bit, usually one showing of WoC on Grad Nite days and one Fantasmic in Pride Nites. The parks will also close early.

I don’t mind going on Grad Nites, but I have a MK and a lot of patience. I know for others it’s an absolute drag in Grad Nite days.

Grad Nites
June 2, 5, 7, 9, 12, 14

Pride Nites
June 18, 20

I would do the 3 day with hopper and definitely consider buying Genie+, too. At DL it includes Memory Maker. Maybe not Genie+ every day, but it definitely helps, especially if it's a first trip and you want to do everything (and if you are not planning on returning anytime soon). I don't know how busy June is, I went in October when it is VERY busy and we used Genie+ on two of the 3 days, and had hoppers. It was nice to have both. DL and DCA are so close to each other it's great to be able to go between them. EDIT - especially with what @foolish_mortals just posted about the special events. They do cause one park to close early, so hoppers are a definite benefit.

I think 3 days is perfect and if cost is an issue I would trade the park hopper for Genie+. I've noticed that even with the park hopper we rarely actually hop. We usually do one day at California Adventure and 2 at Disneyland. You could just do Genie + on your Disneyland Day and then save your $$ for buying the ILL for Radiator Springs Racers at DCA.

It is possible to have a nice trip with only two park days, but 3 will allow you to see much more and have a little more relaxed pace.

Hi Dreaming! My family is an east coast family, with lots of WDW experience. We have 3 teen boys 19, 16x2. We are now sold on DL. We went in June in 2019 and 2023, and we can’t wait to go back! Here are some thoughts.

June DL weather is 1000x better than Orlando in the Summer. Mornings are awesome, and you will need a hoodie after sundown. No humidity or rain.

We did 3 days in 2019 before going to Sequoia and Yosemite. Best vacation ever. If you love Disney, definitely pick 3 days over 2. You won’t be disappointed. We did 5 days in 2023, but that was a DL only trip.

Genie+ is absolutely worth it. So is park hopping. Very easy, and both are worth the money. There are so many included attractions that it just…works.

Even with older kids, we all fell in love with Cars Land. Eat on the back porch of Flo’s Diner (counter service and quick) overlooking the “mountains”, especially at night. And definitely be there at sunset on the dot for the lighting of the neon. Such a fun party atmosphere.

Many of the rides are either better at DL, or they are one of a kind. Have fun!

Thank you all for the valuable info! I had not considered the extra events or the fact that Memory Maker is included with Genie+.

I think we’re going to plan on the three days with Genie+. And dinner at Flo’s!

I'd definitely do 3 days with hoppers, and you can add Genie+ while you're there if you want it. Have a great trip!

Just be aware of Grad Nite and After Hour Events in June. They usually cause the nighttime event schedule to change a bit, usually one showing of WoC on Grad Nite days and one Fantasmic in Pride Nites. The parks will also close early.

I don’t mind going on Grad Nites, but I have a MK and a lot of patience. I know for others it’s an absolute drag in Grad Nite days.

Grad Nites
June 2, 5, 7, 9, 12, 14

Pride Nites
June 18, 20
How bad is a Grad Nite date? Is one park worse than another?

How bad is a Grad Nite date? Is one park worse than another?
CA closes to regular guests in the evening (9? 10?) for the event, but the different ticket tiers allow schools to purchase a ticket with full day admission to CA, they can also purchase a regular ticket to Disneyland.

So during the day both parks will have students, CA usually a bit more but a lot of schools will buy the Disneyland option as well. By late afternoon and evening most will have moved to CA. They have to be in CA for grad nite by a set time usually 9pm or 10pm.

They’re teenagers. Some will be loud and obnoxious and some will just go about their day. No guarantee as to which one’s you’ll run in to. If dealing with an obnoxious group of teenagers would grind your gears…maybe avoid it. I know there have been issues with line cutting, but haven’t run into it with Genie+.

I don’t mind, but I don’t mind the vloggers and influencers either. They might get an eye roll and shrug if they are blocking a path, but I just go around. I pretty much treat the high schoolers the same way, with a bit more grace, they’re young and excited and for many it’s probably one of the last times they’ll hang out with their high school friends.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter