Best Place to See the Shuttle?

budafam

DIS Veteran
It's now scheduled for May 16th and we'll be there!!! Although they're showing rain... I was wondering if anyone has ever seen a shuttle take off from Disney World and where you'd suggest watching. I'm sooo excited!

We were there years ago when one went up and we actually just watched from the parking lot of the resort. As long as you are looking in the right direction you should be able to see it from anywhere.

If you have a car, see if you can go see it live. When I was 6 we stopped off on our way to WDW from our Big Red Boat cruise. 20-something years later and I still remember it. If you check out NASA's website, it will point you in the right direction.

As the PP said, as long as you are looking in the right direction you should be able to see it. Note that launch time is planned for 8:56AM. :thumbsup2

I'll be watching it with you. I read on previous threads that if you can get to rooftop places (BLT, Contemporary) that those are good but they are limited access.

Others showed Ft. Wilderness beach was a good setting or with Cinderella's castle in the background.

Monday is our non-park morning so I think we'll watch it with Animal Kingdom Villa's savannah as the back ground but won't know for sure until we get there. In my mind, having a picture of the giraffes in the foreground and the shuttle trail in the background would be an interesting contrast, but somehow I doubt that will be do-able.:lmao:

Enjoy!!

Monday is our Epcot day... we might just be in the parking lot yet at that time if we don't go elsewhere.

If you have a car, see if you can go see it live. When I was 6 we stopped off on our way to WDW from our Big Red Boat cruise. 20-something years later and I still remember it. If you check out NASA's website, it will point you in the right direction.

The main issue with seeing it live is that there will also be hundreds of thousands also wanting to see it up close.

I was in FL last week and they reported that there was 700,000 people in the area waiting for the launch. So just be aware that it will be an all day ordeal sitting in traffic for hours getting there and back.

I would love to see a launch up close but I'm not sure if I could sit in that much traffic.

The main issue with seeing it live is that there will also be hundreds of thousands also wanting to see it up close.

I was in FL last week and they reported that there was 700,000 people in the area waiting for the launch. So just be aware that it will be an all day ordeal sitting in traffic for hours getting there and back.

I would love to see a launch up close but I'm not sure if I could sit in that much traffic.

When it is an early launch like this one (8:53 AM I think) you need to get here a few hours early so need to get to area by 5 AM at least. Bring a picnic breakfast.

Then the best thing to do is just make a beach day of it and let most of the people drive back to Orlando right after the launch. Have lunch somewhere and then drive back in a lot less traffic. You will still have time to spend in the parks in the evening if you can stay awake that long.
Huge crowds will head to KSC visitors center after the launch so not really a good day to tour there.

And then if this launch gets scrubbed, you've driven all that way for nothing and wasted your morning (and most likely afternoon).

DH is super excited to be there when it's supposed to launch. We saw a night launch from Pop Century back in August 2009, and it was amazing! Yes, with that much fire power shooting it off, I'm sure you'll be able to see it during the day. The night launch looked like an enormous wildfire off in the distance, and the shuttle itself was so bright.

Here's a picture, although not a very good one. It was taken with a point and shoot camera. We're going down there this time armed with all kinds of camera gadgets to get better pictures.

P1040799.jpg

When it launched in May of 09, we were in DHS and i was in little Mermaid show and my husband stayed out with our 18month old and he saw it go up. He said it was an awesome sight. I was disappointed that i forgot and i missed it. Oh well, im hoping to see it this time, we will be there from the 14th to 22nd of May. :banana:

And then if this launch gets scrubbed, you've driven all that way for nothing and wasted your morning (and most likely afternoon).

DH is super excited to be there when it's supposed to launch. We saw a night launch from Pop Century back in August 2009, and it was amazing! Yes, with that much fire power shooting it off, I'm sure you'll be able to see it during the day. The night launch looked like an enormous wildfire off in the distance, and the shuttle itself was so bright.

Here's a picture, although not a very good one. It was taken with a point and shoot camera. We're going down there this time armed with all kinds of camera gadgets to get better pictures.

P1040799.jpg

still a cool picture -- like the sun burning at night!

I'm setting my phone alarm for 10 minutes prior so we don't miss it!

We saw an evening launch in March 2009 when we were on our way to Teppan Edo for dinner. We could see it on the bridge between Future World and the World Showcase in Epcot

I'm assuming that since so many people will want to see the launch that the CMs will be prepared to answer questions about which way to look and where to position yourselves. Am I wrong? If so, I need to do a little more research before Monday! That's our resort day and we're staying at Beach Club.

My family saw the launch in 2007. It was fantastic! Definitely an event my sons will never forget.

We drove to the Astronaut Fall of Fame which is about 5 miles from the actual launch site. They had a large screen set up with close-up images of the launch with audio to hear what was going on preparing for the launch and we could see the launch site, too. We could hear it and see it. There were things to look at and interact with at the AHoF which really added to the experience for my kids. There was even a large shuttle mock-up in the grassy area that we could take pictures with.

Getting there and back wasn't too bad either. We left early to allow plenty of time and the traffic wasn't too heavy. After we left we grabbed lunch and then was able to enjoythe remainder of the day at EPCOT.

I wish I could figure out how to post a picture of what we saw. It truly was a once in a lifetime event for us.

I hope you get to see it.

Go into the Contemporary and see if you can get to the CG level. There are (legal) outside walkways which normally are used for fireworks viewing. Or get to as high a floor as possible in the tower (on the Bay Lake side) and go out the emergency exit door where the stairwells are; they do have areas with a clear view to the East.

The problem with the morning launch is that it will be very close to the Sun, if not at launch, then shortly after. Going TO KSC or some beach north of there would be good.

It MIGHT be hard to see from WDW at that time of morning.

I am hoping to see it from the Beach here in South Georgia, or, at least a neighborhood parking garage.

Go into the Contemporary and see if you can get to the CG level. There are (legal) outside walkways which normally are used for fireworks viewing. Or get to as high a floor as possible in the tower (on the Bay Lake side) and go out the emergency exit door where the stairwells are; they do have areas with a clear view to the East.

Thanks for the tip! We'll see if we can get over there that morning!

Did anyone else see? Atlantis (formerly scheduled for June 28th) is now postponed to mid-July.

We'll be there as well. It's our AK day which is early entry. Will be looking to the east.

I am still hoping we will get to see it launch during our trip. :thumbsup2

One more delay please. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter