Best Place to do some work late at night on DCL

TFC_UNTIL_I_DIE

Parrot Head Air Miles Hunter Red Patch Boy
I've taken my family on a number of cruises on DCL over the holidays but I do tend to bring some work on my laptop (no network access required). Last year I decided to write up a report staying up late one night when the wife and kids were asleep and found the ship totally deserted with really no where open to sit and plug in, get a coffee and write. I ended up in a lounge with vacuum cleaners going. Any others out there with this experience? Any advice for the future cruises?

I often sit in the area between the OBB desks and the Vista Cafe on the Fantasy.

I'd probably find myself on a couch or chair in the Cove Cafe.

No matter where you go you'll probably end up running into cleaning and maintenance staff as that is when they do a lot of work.

Quiet Cove Cafe might be good until about 1am or so. A few cruises ago I woke up about 2am and couldn't get back to sleep so around 3 got dressed and just wandered the ship for about an hour, book in hand thinking I might find a quite corner to read for awhile. Saw lots of CM working getting everything shipshape for the next day, and while not particularly noisy there was lots of activity going on that was distracting. Now, if I have trouble sleeping, I just break out my book light and read in our cabin.

The best advice I can give you is to get a verandah and go out there to work. That's about the only place where there isn't going to be some sort of cleaning or other activity going on. If you don't have a verandah booked, you are going to be hard pressed to find such a place on the ship.

That's actually one of the complaints I've made about Disney. I've never had that problem on RCL. They seem to expect people to be active 24x7 and there is always somewhere to go.

How late are you talking about? DCL venues shut down pretty early IMO. Cove Cafe was supposed to be open until midnight on my cruise last November. I went to get a latte around 10:30pm one night and the lights were off and the doors locked. Deck 4 has some loungers and there was rarely anyone there on either of my cruises. It was so quiet and peaceful late at night.

I'm doing the 12 till 4am overnight report writing I found it was tough to find a place to plug in because yes disney is really not a late night ship.

I often sit in the area between the OBB desks and the Vista Cafe on the Fantasy.

I really like this space and have used it myself. there are a number of different types of seats/couches (one in particular is soso nice to sit on) and tables that would hold a laptop, coffee and a bit more. I did not notice if there were power outlets you could use, so there may or may not be.

I would go from the stateroom upto pool deck and acquire beverage of choice from the 24/7 free beverage station, then head down to that area and lounge. there are some nice outside areas too but they can get windy and cool/cold at night and, well, rain.

SW

I think the issue here is plugging in. Finding an outlet may be the challenge.

Last trip in Dec I woke up at 3am and wandered around and like you said its deserted but plenty of cleaning going on. On the pool deck they were pressure washing like crazy, no use trying to get work done there.

As a thought during the cruise we had to get homework done with the kids and even though it wasn't late at night (2-3 pm) we went to Cabanas. There was bustle and activity but plenty of space and the crew avoided us, though some stopped and smiled and said hi.

So even though there was plenty of activity in the way of cleaning it wasn't too distracting (reminded me of the activity of our local library), but that may suffice.

One place we like to go out on at night is deck 4, it is super peaceful and you get the ocean noise. The only issue would be the outlet. If your laptop holds a decent charge this might be a nice spot to do some work, it is a little more protected than a veranda. I have seen them working with grinders out there during the day, so if you ask they might be able to hook you up with an outlet.

I usually just go to the internet cafe area. They have outlets around and usually a desk area next to the computers. Its always very quiet there as well.

I find it to be different on different ships. There are tables with benches next to OBB on the Magic I think, there are plugs under the tables. One deck up there are stuffed chairs on the port side overlooking atrium. The internet café has plugs at every desk. We have found the lounges to be unlocked while the doors are closed, cleaning did not seem to last long or be overly distracting. Mid ship elevator lobbies have outlets directly across from elevators, some decks have chairs. Outside spa fitness area are chairs and little table, always empty. Don't remember which ship, Buena Vista Theater there are chairs along the back wall for accessible travelers and I think I found a plug along that wall (too quiet an area for me though).

I don't think I have ever had problem finding a plug just may not be in the exact spot I would like to be but for me, certainly nice anyway.

I usually just go to the internet cafe area. They have outlets around and usually a desk area next to the computers. Its always very quiet there as well.
There isn't an internet cafe onboard the Dream or Fantasy. And I believe the one on the Magic is gone. Can't recall about the Wonder.

I really like this space and have used it myself. there are a number of different types of seats/couches (one in particular is soso nice to sit on) and tables that would hold a laptop, coffee and a bit more. I did not notice if there were power outlets you could use, so there may or may not be.

I would go from the stateroom upto pool deck and acquire beverage of choice from the 24/7 free beverage station, then head down to that area and lounge. there are some nice outside areas too but they can get windy and cool/cold at night and, well, rain.

SW

On my last trip on the Fantasy in December, I did find an open and usable outlet next to one of the couches between Vista Cafe and the OBB desks, hidden behind the curtain on the wall. I had no problem plugging in and charging my phone.

There isn't an internet cafe onboard the Dream or Fantasy. And I believe the one on the Magic is gone. Can't recall about the Wonder.
Oh, that's too bad, since it was going to be my suggestion. I was on the Wonder a year and a half ago, and the internet café area was the best option I found (there were seats near the computers). It worked OK for quite a while, but there was cleaning late at night and it became distracting. The second night, I just decided to work in bed while my wife and kids slept.

If you have noise cancelling headphones, I expect they can help, also. I found myself wishing I'd brought mine!

Oh geez. Whoops. I'm jaded by the Wonder. Sailed on her the past 9 times minus our most recent trip on the Dream, but didn't even try to use any internet since the trip was so short.

The computer cafe was there post 2015 refurbishment. I used it...

...but my middle of the night work took place out on deck 4 and in the back of Cabanas (outside). Another quiet place in the middle of the night was the chairs near the guest services desk.

We were on the Magic in 2015. Internet café was still there. The Wonder still has it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter