Best Kid's camera?

SparkleMommy

Mouseketeer
:artist:I read on a suggested packing list to get disposable cameras for kiddos. But I was thinking that I would need a lot of them given how click happy my DD4 is! LOL
Add to that the cost of processing and I was thinking that perhaps I should just buy her a kid specific camera?

Anyone have any advice on the best kid friendly camera to get her that is reasonably priced? I want one that does stills, video, has long battery life, flash, extra memory (SD card) storage.

Nikon S30/S31/S32/S33. Older models in the series are available as refurbs, newer ones only new, but they're indestructible, waterproof, have reasonable battery life, and are generally, "Kid-proof," and designed with what you want to do in mind.

A refurbished run generally runs about what 5 disposables+processing will run you, and a new S33 about double that. Oh, and it's way better than the slightly cheaper cameras, it's not a bad one to even pick one up for yourself to take into water parks.

Here's a link to a bundle: http://www.adorama.com/INKCPS33BLA.html

Nikon S30/S31/S32/S33. Older models in the series are available as refurbs, newer ones only new, but they're indestructible, waterproof, have reasonable battery life, and are generally, "Kid-proof," and designed with what you want to do in mind.

A refurbished run generally runs about what 5 disposables+processing will run you, and a new S33 about double that. Oh, and it's way better than the slightly cheaper cameras, it's not a bad one to even pick one up for yourself to take into water parks.

I just remembered that I have an old Nikon. I could give it to her and buy myself a new DSLR... Now there's a thought! :rolleyes1
Any recommendations on a good grown up camera, not too pricey?

I just picked up one of these myself at Target for a reasonable price-- we are going to use it for our upcoming cruise and for summer water activites. It seems very easy to use and also has some fun features of how you can play with the images (sketch, etc). Overall very basic, but I am not afraid of breaking it or ruining it. It seems to take pretty good pictures from what we have done so far. For the price, I'd say it's a good option.

At the low end of the DSLR market, Nikon pretty well rules with the D3200, D3300, D5300 and D5500 - above that in terms of pricing, there are very good mirrorless options and Canon/Pentax/Sony start getting into the DSLR game very aggressively with highly competitive cameras. All of them are extremely good ... but if you want a camera like that, the first question is: what do you want to take pictures of?

At the low end of the DSLR market, Nikon pretty well rules with the D3200, D3300, D5300 and D5500 - above that in terms of pricing, there are very good mirrorless options and Canon/Pentax/Sony start getting into the DSLR game very aggressively with highly competitive cameras. All of them are extremely good ... but if you want a camera like that, the first question is: what do you want to take pictures of?

I want mostly pictures and videos of kiddo/people and landscapes. I was going to rely on my iphone but I want better quality and more storage. My iphone storage is corrupted and keeps telling me I'm out of space even when I know I am not. I want the option of wide angle or zoom.

I used to have a Ricoh SLR back in the days before digital. It was a good learning camera- I was the only one besides my dad who could take in-focus shots with it since it was entirely manual. That camera is long gone...

I was thinking a Canon Rebel but I may be priced out of them.

Nothing specifically against the Rebel line, but the entry level ones are using sensors that are several years old, which means that the newer Nikon entry level SLRs tend to give much better image quality at the same price point. A basic D3200 kit with 18-55 and 55-200 mm lenses will be about $550 or so.

Have you looked at a Nikon 1 camera, though? They're much more compact (especially as a system as the lenses are smaller), are quite good quality, and designed to be iPhone connected over Wi-Fi. They're also the only mirrorless camera that keeps up with a DSLR for focus speed on kids. :)

my in laws got my DD The V-tech kids camera http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/kidizoom-camera-pink-bilingual/6000100070570 They paid less for it than here , maybe an older model? Anyhow it takes pretty decent pictures, is a digital camera so photos can be downloads and deleted as necessary, It also has games which can be played while waiting in lines, or at restaurants. It also has a super easy button for taking pictures and will survive being dropped.

Nothing specifically against the Rebel line, but the entry level ones are using sensors that are several years old, which means that the newer Nikon entry level SLRs tend to give much better image quality at the same price point. A basic D3200 kit with 18-55 and 55-200 mm lenses will be about $550 or so.

Have you looked at a Nikon 1 camera, though? They're much more compact (especially as a system as the lenses are smaller), are quite good quality, and designed to be iPhone connected over Wi-Fi. They're also the only mirrorless camera that keeps up with a DSLR for focus speed on kids. :)

No I haven't looked at those, but I will. I was comparing the Nikon's and Canon's but I am just now looking into it and I have not had a 'real' camera in long time. So I have no idea what I am doing... LOL
Thanks for the suggestion!

my in laws got my DD The V-tech kids camera http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/kidizoom-camera-pink-bilingual/6000100070570 They paid less for it than here , maybe an older model? Anyhow it takes pretty decent pictures, is a digital camera so photos can be downloads and deleted as necessary, It also has games which can be played while waiting in lines, or at restaurants. It also has a super easy button for taking pictures and will survive being dropped.

I was thinking about that for her but it gets mixed reviews so I am on the fence about it. :)

All the reviews I see are 4 or 5 /5. Maybe the Canadian version is better. My DD6 loves hers and it was great to have when we were in Europe last year. My DD has the bilingual French/ English one.

I gave my son a older digital camera I had and bought be a newer one... I gave it to him right after he turned 5 and he loved it. He is now almost 8 and takes it with him on all our vacations. I love looking at he pictures he takes... Some a pretty funny lol.... I think he had 30 of just the monorail on our last trip

I wouldn't buy a kids version unless they would be rough with a good camera... My son isn't rough with his things but my daughter on the other hand would not be getting her own for a while

I gave my son a older digital camera I had and bought be a newer one... I gave it to him right after he turned 5 and he loved it. He is now almost 8 and takes it with him on all our vacations. I love looking at he pictures he takes... Some a pretty funny lol.... I think he had 30 of just the monorail on our last trip

I wouldn't buy a kids version unless they would be rough with a good camera... My son isn't rough with his things but my daughter on the other hand would not be getting her own for a while

My daughter is a conundrum... she can be very gentle or a complete hurricane with stuff! I'm thinking she isn't quite ready for a 'real' grown up camera yet, but she could surprise me. I think I will let her practice with my old digital camera for a couple of weeks and see how it goes. I'd still have time to buy the kid's camera if need be.

All the reviews I see are 4 or 5 /5. Maybe the Canadian version is better. My DD6 loves hers and it was great to have when we were in Europe last year. My DD has the bilingual French/ English one.

On Amazon, they mostly get 4 or 5 stars but everyone still says the pictures aren't very good quality and/or the batteries are hard to change and don't last long. That's why I'm not positive about buying one yet. :)

The V-tech, as a camera, is abysmal, and yet a child's perspective is unique and can yield very good photos, which is why I suggest the S33.

she takes great pictures with my iphone- as evidenced my continually full storage notices... And she loves taking pictures, but she can be hard on things. I think in terms of taking a lot of good pics, giving her my old Nikon would be good but in terms of durability, the v-tech would be better. Decisions decisions.

she takes great pictures with my iphone- as evidenced my continually full storage notices... And she loves taking pictures, but she can be hard on things. I think in terms of taking a lot of good pics, giving her my old Nikon would be good but in terms of durability, the v-tech would be better. Decisions decisions.

The v-tech is listed on Walmart as 1.3 megapixels. I think your DD would be very disappointed with that quality. A few years ago, my mom bought my DD a camera that was very poor quality. She paid a lot for it because it printed out stickers (or something like that). My DD was extremely disappointed with the quality and asked why the pictures looked so "weird." She just continued to use her ipod touch which was better quality.

If you have an old iPhone lying around, that would be fine for a 4 year old for photos and videos. You could probably buy a cheap older model (make sure the video/photo feature works) on eBay.

exactly what I was going to say! and my plan for my 5 year old on our next trip

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter