best inexpensive hotel chains

Teresa Pitman

Disney Grandma
We'll be driving to WDW next week, probably two overnights on the way down and two on the way back. What would you say would be the most consistently clean, safe, pleasant hotel chains to stay at, with reasonable prices? Not looking for specific individual hotels, but chains we could keep an eye out for.

I agree with the above. Anything Hilton. Hampton Inn is part of that. We like staying somewhere with free breakfast ,and the waffles are amazing! :lovestruc Also the free high speed wifi is a plus.

Hilton Garden Inns are also really nice.

Holiday Inn Express and Hampton Inn are great, but I don't consider either to be inexpensive.

Marriott (Fairfield Inn) hotels can also fit this description. I always research on tripadvisor which area I'll be in...can find prices/availability and read reviews of all the hotels in that specific area.

Choice brands which are Roadway and Econo Lodge on up to Comfort Inn and Quality Inn. It all depends on your definition of inexpensive because I don't find the one's above to be inexpensive road trip hotels. I'm also not above a motel 6, a lot have been redone. But it's like any hotel/motel they aren't all going to be the same quality within the chain. I would figure out where you want to stop and figure it out before you leave.

I think we have done almost all of the major ones. The only consistent ones we have experienced are Hampton Inns. Holiday Inns can be fantastic but not all are the same. I had a horrible Fairfield Inn stay and it is off my list. I think that Hilton brands and a few others seem to be less of a franchise and more corporate run. Where as many of the other brands like Best Western, Choice hotels etc. are franchised out a lot so you see less uniformity and more of a chance to be a roll of the dice. Best bet is to trip advisor it when you know you are ready to stop. YMMV.

I agree with La Quintana! Everyone I've stayed at has been clean, had breakfast and friendly staff.

I always read reviews of individual locations. They're almost all independently owned, and outside of major attractions they are very rarely visited by the parent company to make sure that they're meeting any standards.

You are talking to a hotel pro here. I dare to say I have stayed in more hotels than anyone on this site. I know that's a bold assumption, but I'm sure it's likely true.
I have stayed at every level of every brand more times than I can count in virtually every state. I am (was, I am no longer eligible for points) the highest level of honors in every hotel point program.

Now, that said, to answer the question.... There is one CLEAR winner.

Hilton Garden Inn

MG

I am a huge fan of Embassy Suites for family travel. All of the rooms are at minimum a one bedroom and living room combo with a sofa bed. Some of them have a king size bed in the bedroom but there are often suites that have two double or two queen size beds in the bedroom which means you could sleep up to 6 people in one suite. The included breakfasts are enormous and they often even have a made to order omelet station. When we stay there we can often get away with a light lunch which saves us money. Once you factor in the cost of such a breakfast elsewhere for every family member the cost of staying there looks pretty reasonable.

The chain is now owned by Hilton so you can take advantage of the Hilton rewards program.

I love the Marriott chains with free breakfast but I don't generally consider them inexpensive. La Quinta is my go to when traveling to FL. They are a bit hit or miss so check reviews. Also most or all are dog friendly which isn't for everyone.

When I traveled for business, I always stayed in Comfort Suites hotels. Traveling for please, we usually stay at Comfort Inn & Suites. A former supervisor and friend swears by the Microtel Inn chain.

Before I decide on a hotel, I always check out the reviews in advance. There are some turkeys out there that need refurbishment, have bad customer service, etc.

Drury when it's on your route, hands down. (They are based in Missouri, so if you look at the St. Louis tourism website, you can often find coupons to discount their rooms a bit more. www.townplannerstl.com always has a coupon.) They offer a full breakfast AND a free dinner buffet, though it's not fancy food. (Varies by night, but things like hot dogs, spaghetti, tacos, etc. Kids tend to love it.)

I also concur with Country Inn and Suites, though their breakfast is continental, not full. Very affordable brand with well-maintained properties.

Marriott brands are usually fine, but I hate their beds. They go cheap on their mattresses, and you feel it when you've been driving all day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter