Best Hotspot (or other option)for internet use

mickey'sbud

DIS Veteran
Please help! I'm researching Hotspot sources. Would like to use it in place of conventional internet service. My DS will be renting an apt for 7 months and didn't want to have to pay for installation and a year's contract for internet service.
Currently he is on our ATT wireless family plan. We share 12G data.

He can tether his phone as a hotspot but it will eat up the data quickly. We have internet thru Comcast. I checked and we average about 100G of data usage per month. So he'll need at least 50G just for him per month.

Thought of possibly getting a month to month prepaid hotspot or cheap prepaid phone with another carrier and using it as a Hotspot. Not sure if that would work.

What is the best option?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Please help! I'm researching Hotspot sources. Would like to use it in place of conventional internet service. My DS will be renting an apt for 7 months and didn't want to have to pay for installation and a year's contract for internet service.
Currently he is on our ATT wireless family plan. We share 12G data.

He can tether his phone as a hotspot but it will eat up the data quickly. We have internet thru Comcast. I checked and we average about 100G of data usage per month. So he'll need at least 50G just for him per month.

Thought of possibly getting a month to month prepaid hotspot or cheap prepaid phone with another carrier and using it as a Hotspot. Not sure if that would work.

What is the best option?
Thanks in advance!
If you have Comcast, then he can check for Xfinity hotspots in his apartment area. Every Comcast modem acts as a hotspot unless the customer goes in to the modem program and turns it off. He will need your Xfinity login info to use the hotspots but he would need to be very wary of using public wi-fi for sensitive personal info. Public wi-if also tends to be slow, so if he’s a gamer or wants to stream video, he won’t be happy with it.

Have you checked to see how much hotspot data you get with AT&T? Sprint recently went to 50GB per line and Tmobile went unlimited.

May be time to switch carriers... T-Mobile and some back ends will offer you unlimited with Tethering for 35.00 a month with a family plan. Your ATT phones will work on T-Mobile so long as they can be unlocked and paid for. If you are happy with ATT look into Cricket they are owned by ATT running on the ATT network.... However some back ends do not offer tethering... I know Metro PCS does -- owned by T-Mobile but will be the same price as they charge 35 per line again family plan.. one line will be expensive.

We have a summer cottage and we get unlimited internet from Spectrum without a contract. We usually get it for about 5 months every summer for $55/month. See if you can get internet without a contract.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter