• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best family meal at AKL

PrincessSophiasMom

Mouseketeer
What would you recommend as the best family restaurant at AKL? We are staying there in August and I have to be honest.....we have NEVER been to AKL in all of our trips!!!! It will be me, DH, and DD (6) so looking for something semi family friendly. Thanks!!!

The restaurants at AKL are one of the best things about staying there! In a three night trip, we fit in lunch at Sanaa, breakfast at Boma, and lunch/breakfast at The Mara. I'd definitely do Sanaa again and maybe try Boma dinner next.

Sanaa is definitely our pick, but if you have picky eaters, go with Boma, which is a buffet (and the best buffet on property).

What would you recommend as the best family restaurant at AKL? We are staying there in August and I have to be honest.....we have NEVER been to AKL in all of our trips!!!! It will be me, DH, and DD (6) so looking for something semi family friendly. Thanks!!!
Boma for dinner. It's a fantastic buffet for the whole family including the picky or the adventurous !

We're staying there in April and we're doing lunch at Sanaa, breakfast at Boma. Jiko is just too pricey for us.
I'm sure we'll go to Mara at some point too. My kids are 4 and 7.

Sanaa was my favorite meal of our trip last year! BOMA breakfast was pretty good.

As others have said. SANAA!!!!!!!! The food is great and your child will love the savannah views

We love all the AKL restaurants, but if forced to choose--Sanaa for lunch, and try to get an ADR for the first available time-better chance of being seated by a window for a good view of the animals, though still no guarantee. And Boma for breakfast--there's something for everyone.

I would choose Sanaa over Boma. Here is why: at Boma, as a mom of two girls, I hardly ever sat down. I was up getting food for them, then taking them to the bathroom, then getting more food then getting dessert. It was crowded and there were lines so it was hard for me to enjoy. The food is wonderful, but it is also expensive. My daughter and I ate lunch at Sanaa for less than one adult buffet at Boma.

If you can do both, I would do Boma for breakfast and Sanaa for dinner or lunch.

I found that being served was easier than a buffet with children, even though there is more variety at Boma. Sanaa has some good choices for picky kids, and their desserts for kids are beautifully presented and tasty. One of the best values on Disney property, IMO.

Don't get me wrong. I would go back to Boma. It is great. But we prefer Sanaa for atmosphere and value.

I would list them in this order:
  1. Jiko: Yes it's a signature restaurant but it is also one of the best in WDW. The service is excellent, the food is also excellent, and the decor and atmosphere will not disappoint.
  2. Sanaa: One of the few restaurants in WDW that is not generic to satisfy the DDP. Very good food and service. One of the best 1 TS restaurants in WDW.
  3. Boma: This is the best buffet in WDW. But it is that, a buffet. I'm of the opinion food made in large amounts in advance for droves of people just can't be excellent and stand by that opinion here. However, Boma sure does make a good attempt at it and I would call the food good. Boma is not a must do for me, but it is not one that I have crossed off my list. Every few trips we make an ADR for this place.
As for being semi family friendly; I would say virtually all the restaurants other than V&A are family friendly. If your 6 year old is pretty good in a restaurant then I would choose Sanaa or Jiko over Boma.

We're staying there in April and we're doing lunch at Sanaa, breakfast at Boma. Jiko is just too pricey for us.
I'm sure we'll go to Mara at some point too. My kids are 4 and 7.

With the adult buffet prices at Boma, for us, it is just not worth it. We don't eat enough food to justify paying for buffet food. I agree it is the best buffet at WDW, but you have to factor in whether you will eat your money's worth. Jiko might be pricey but we feel it is a better value given the quality of the food, the great service, and the wonderful atmosphere.

Sanaa is wonderful and I agree about going before sunset so you can enjoy the animals. Unfortunately, there are only a few tables by the windows so try to time it as either the first reservation of the dinner service or about an hour or so after so you have a chance of getting a table by the window.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter